Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Henindigo - Hallo PPD hairdyes ! 'Grey' reflections...

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Sky View Post
    Sounds like youve got a plan, Celebrian! I think you could probably do the same thing just with henna/cassia, etc but it would be a pain. If I had the patience, I would totally steal Girltrons routine, she has the most beautiful color. But doing roots only shouldnt be too bad as long as you dont start having any kind of reaction o the chemicals.

I think most of the indigo has washed out of my hair, I didnt use that much anyways, but am still a bit iffy about the highlights. Of course I will do a strand test, but do you think it will be problematic? I only did one full head indigo and it was about 6 weeks ago.
    When you do a strand test, check it carefully in every possible light. Don't fool yourself - if you think you see the slightest green or blue, or even just 'ash' tinge, than that's what a head of highlights will produce. If you only did the one indigo, you'll probably find that you can go ahead, but be prepared to have to then cover them with what should probably be a permanent, in a gold/warm blonde or something like that.

I'll be doing a few highlights again soon, even over my traumatised blue-green (but hidden, by then, under gold dyes and henna). Even so, I will be expecting the re-emergence of some blue-green, and will have a bottle of something ready to cover them!

My first stage took place tonight, which was the application of a medium warm brown PPD thingy to my roots. A little lighter than the darkest parts on the lengths, but that's fine with me, as I'm looking to achieve a warm mid-dark red-brown effect in the final analysis.
    Last edited by Celebrian; May 9th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I decided to give my chemical dye another chance and had one bottle of my regular brand. I was using another one and it didn't agree with me, but my L'oreal Preference is just fine. I have dark reddish brown hair with no root line. It will take awhile to tone down the henna underneath, but it will happen. I am very happy with the results. Chocolate seems to be the color that works for me. I did like the henna, but the smell never grew on me. Now I need to go to Sally's and buy some more dye.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

That's like me - chocolate/deep red-brown type of colors are good on me too.

Oh Copperhead, will we ever get this thing down?

I'm glad you're happy with your color. Maybe do like me and consider mixing techniques?

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I always did well with the chemical dyes and they are so simple to use. I think I will stay with them from now on. My hair grew really long with them, so taking good care of color treated hair is important. I have tons of products that I can use for this purpose. And, my hair smells so good now!

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I had no issues with my highlights turning green. I used a two step box dye (cant for the life of me remember what its called ) The first step was an all over dye which did nothing to my length even though it said it could lighten. The highlights... well, they also did mostly nothing. I have one dark red streak in the back but thats the only one that took it. I may do the same thing again when its time to touch up my roots and try the highlights with damp hair instead, as it seemed that may have had something to do with it.

The roots and the streak both turned out much more red than I expected, but I like it. Its calming into a more brownish tone now.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Sky View Post
    I had no issues with my highlights turning green. I used a two step box dye (cant for the life of me remember what its called ) The first step was an all over dye which did nothing to my length even though it said it could lighten. The highlights... well, they also did mostly nothing. I have one dark red streak in the back but thats the only one that took it. I may do the same thing again when its time to touch up my roots and try the highlights with damp hair instead, as it seemed that may have had something to do with it.

The roots and the streak both turned out much more red than I expected, but I like it. Its calming into a more brownish tone now.
    Oh, I think I know the product you're talking about. If it's the same one, I have an old one in the back bedroom - I think it was called chocolate mahogany or chocolate cherry. The girl on the box has darkish red hair, with the brighter lights running through. It made my strand test brilliant burgundy!

Anyway, if it's the same one, you are supposed to apply the highlights whilst your hair is still damp from rinsing the base color off.

Next time, maybe make you give yourself thick enough highlights - so they'll show up. Good you didn't get green though. You'll probably be ok from now on...

The only thing I don't understand about that product is the way they say you can recolor the base and then just redo the highlights over the top. I appreciate that the base color will cover the previous highlights - but what if you do the next set of highlights over previous ones? Won't the hair be a bit vulnerable, constantly being highlighted, covered, highlighted etc.? I don't know...

Length
    14.5/16.75/32
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Does peroxide prove to be a problem regarding going green or is it only bleach? Over hendigo I mean.

My drug store had nothing but permanent colors, except color pulse. A huge selelction but all permanent.

I ended up buying L'Oreal Excellence in Dark Golden Brown, as I've read the ash's might give more of a green tone.

I could find none that were peroxide free, lots were ammonia free, and I hopefully could decipher the ingredients enough to find one without bleach. I hope. Fingers crossed, or shall I say strand tests crossed .

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by annarose View Post
    Does peroxide prove to be a problem regarding going green or is it only bleach? Over hendigo I mean.
    I'm curious about that as well. I know there were some people trying in the henna removal thread but we were rudely interrupted by the board crash so I don't know what the verdict was.

Iris
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

In my case - peroxide didn't effect the indigo at all. But, I was a weenie and used 30v for no longer then and hour at a time, maybe 3x. So, if it does, I would suspect that it may work for those who did a one-step process, but not likely to effect those who did the two-step process. Just a guess.

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    In my case - peroxide didn't effect the indigo at all. But, I was a weenie and used 30v for no longer then and hour at a time, maybe 3x. So, if it does, I would suspect that it may work for those who did a one-step process, but not likely to effect those who did the two-step process. Just a guess.
    Oh, but peroxide didn't affect my henna in 3 hours either. It took at least 8 hours before I could see it start to lighten up. It seemed to do nothing the first 7 hours.

In total I had to do 48 hours of it to get to my desired level. And longer resulted in gummy hair that was actually not lighter. Tricky balance to strike there. It is a risk.

In any case, this doesn't convince me that peroxide doesn't work on hendigo. If you'd do peroxide on only henna for only 3 hours, it wouldn't seem to work either.

I didn't really notice a lot of difference in speed of lightening between 10 and 40 volume, btw. 40 volume was more damaging, but didn't work all that much faster or better on the henna.

Not trying to be evangelical about the 10V peroxide... there is a risk of serious damage with peroxide. But it did help me a lot, only thing that really worked for me, without losing any length.

Iris
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)