Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Henindigo - Hallo PPD hairdyes ! 'Grey' reflections...

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Don't worry about using chemical dyes. I've tried henna before and you know what? It didn't change the colour of my hair atall. I was really irritated that after 4 hours of having stuff that smelt so rank on my head I still had the exact same colour.

I'm sure there are lots of dyes that don't have PPD. I just wouldn't know which. Personally I use Loreal dye mostly... I use their Couleur Experte dye because I like having highlights rather than flat colour. Really I don't see the big deal about damage, my hair is fine with chemical dye. Bleach on the other hand... not so much
    Pegs

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Eeek! You're all replying so fast, but I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

I want to simplify my beauty routine, streamline if you will.

Akurah - yes, I can see which countries are banning PPD but UK isn't one of them. The annoying thing for me is that someone like Daniel Field is touting his nice, safe herbal haircolours minus ammonia or peroxide. Wow. What about PPD's Mr Field? I suspect his products contain them, but can't find ingredients listing.

Almudena, Treecrown and Kirin - I think we're on similar tracks with our vile grey root upkeep. This is the main reason for my considering changing to quicker methods. Back in the day when grey was non existent or minimal for me, I would color every 6-8 weeks and get away with it, provided I was using something not too far from my natural colour. But now... Ugh!

Elenna - I don't lnow much about the coffe. tea etc. side of things, and frankly doubt that they would cut it for me (mid-dark) but they may do well for blonde, light red/light brown? There are threads here on that subject...

Sari - exactly what I was just thinking. I'm looking at going back to some boxed dyes for speed - and treating hair to hennindigo every few months for the strengthening properties?

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Manic panic makes a PPD-free black and brown dye, I believe. You'd have to email them and ask to be sure, but they do have a smallish line of natural hair colors. You could get pretty much any color by mixing the non-crazy colors with say, their dark red or blue with the black.

I'd caution against using PPD dye, especially if your hair grows quickly and would require dyeing very often. If you did end up having a bad reaction to it, the longterm reprecussions of that could be pretty severe. The hennaforhair page talks about the use of black hair dye causing someone who had had a "black henna" (PPD hair dye, not henna obviously) design done causing severe facial swelling and other issues. While your hair would be getting most of the dye, not your skin, if you'd be dyeing often the reaction could be similar even if it took longer to happen.

Granted, lots of people have used PPD-based dye for their entire life without a problem, but the risk seems rather high to me personally.

I wish you luck and non-gray hair in whatever you choose

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Oy. I can use english, yes I can. That didn't come out jumbled at all /sarcasm.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Manic panic would have been my suggestion, like Nevermore said. They have 2 'brown' dyes, the Supernaturals range called Cobra (light brown) and Nefertiti (dark brown). They also have Raven, which is black. Black and Blue is blue-black.

Deadly Nightshade will give you plummy highlights on dark hair and Divine Wine will give burgundy lights.

http://www.manicpanic.com/creamswatch.htm The browns are right at the bottom of the page. (Hope linking is ok mods.)

Ingredients

Manic Panic Cream Dyes:
    Aqua, Cera Alba, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth-20, Humulus Lupulus, Achillea Millefolium, Anthemis Nobilis, Acetic Acid, Methylparaben. May contain the following: CI 42090 (blue 1), CI 61570 (Green 5), CI 15510 (Orange 4), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 47005 (Yellow 10).Please Note: Although the packaging says Cera Alba/Beeswax - we have received confirmation from Manic Panic Distributors that this is Synthetic Cera Alba/Beeswax making this product Vegan friendly.

Manic Panic Amplified Dyes:
    Aqua, Synthetic Beeswax (Synthetic Cera Alba), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Humulus Lupulus Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Acetic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol. May contain the following: CI 42090 (Blue 1), CI 61570 (Green 5), CI 15510 (Orange 4), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 47005 (Yellow 10).

Manic Panic Gel Dyes:
    De-ionized Water, Seaweed Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Yarrow Extract, Chamomile Extract, Acetic Acid, Methylparaben, ethylcellulose. May contain the following: CI Acid Blue 9, CI Acid Green 25, CI Acid Orange 7, CI Acid Red 35, CI Yellow 3.

I'm glad you posted this, Celebrian, as I'm thinking of either quitting henna or mixing my henna with MP or Special Effects to brighten it up.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Just to add that, at least with my hair, henna imparts not just colour but also texture, making my hair thicker and stronger. On the other hand, chemical colouring (albeit done indiscriminately, before LHC, including bleaching, semi, demi and permanent colours) thinned my hair shaft. This is just another thing to bear in mind when deciding between chemical and natural colourings.

ETA: OK, I see now that people have thought of this too. I particularly like Nevermore's idea of Manic Panic or similar to mask the roots in between henndigo.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Nevermore (welcome BTW) and Loviator - I'm not sure that Manic Panic will cover the grey; and that's one of the biggest issues for me, and also the reason I started this thread.

Perhaps other'greys' have had MP experiences that they can share?

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Jel yes, I think some of us are considering doing synthetic dyes part of the time, and maybe henna every so often - as you say, to keep that strength.

Not sure that MP covers grey. I doubt it...

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

no Idea.. I decided if I think the henna alone isn't enough anymore (and I use hibiscus tea rinses to hide my roots) that instead of fussing more, that will be the point when I jump to natural and let it go grey.. I just had too many bad experiences with everything else... Amie
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page

Length
    short/28/30+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Celebrian What little I know about PPD is that there is more of it in darker color hair dye. Hope this helps.