Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Goodbye Henindigo - Hallo PPD hairdyes ! 'Grey' reflections...

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Goodbye Henindigo - Hallo PPD hairdyes ! 'Grey' reflections...

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightStar View Post
    I just read this whole thread and I must say it was extremely informative and entertaining!
    I am having many issues with covering my silvers. My natural color is brown-black, so they are very prominent and I just don't like seeing them. I did henna/indigo, and I hated the smell and the time it took. It did, however, cover my silvers when I did the traditional two-step. Last year I switched to using Manic Panic in blue, and then Pravana Vivids in blue - the idea was to get a blue-black color, which I got, and cover the silvers, which it did, for a little while. Also it washes out pretty fast, so everything gets stained blue.
    I'm interested in Lush Caca Noir, if it doesn't smell like the icky henna/indigo I'm used to, but sad to see it doesn't really cover the silvers? I'm also a bit wary about putting too much indigo in my hair - I prefer it dark, but if I ever change my mind one day I don't want to end up green.
    So I guess covering silvers isn't really the point of this thread, but I'm interested if anyone's found a way to do it??
    Um, if I were you, I would possibly (in interests of compromise!) run a semi-permenant PPD in dark brown through my hair (if the silver is localised it may be possible to just cover those areas - or ask someone to do it for you)?

Then, I would treat myself to an indigo feed (I love the smell and effect of Lush Caca Noir) just to give it a boost, shine and condition. Many people don't realise that indigo also has a conditioning effect.. Don't take bleach anywhere near the hair after that though, or you'll get green!!!
    Awakening from the dream...

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    Then, I would treat myself to an indigo feed (I love the smell and effect of Lush Caca Noir) just to give it a boost, shine and condition. Many people don't realise that indigo also has a conditioning effect..
    Actually, I've never heard it having a conditioning effect - could you please point us to any source of that? The only thing I know it does (apart from dyeing of course) is cause itchies (e.g. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=1998)...

edit: henna experts say the same - http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4997
    Last edited by Rosetta; July 6th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetta View Post
    Actually, I've never heard it having a conditioning effect - could you please point us to any source of that? The only thing I know it does (apart from dyeing of course) is cause itchies (e.g. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=1998)...

edit: henna experts say the same - http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4997
    Hi Rosetta, I had a problem locating scientific evidence - and could only quote from my personal experience and that of other people I have known! I also contacted Sabrina at Renaissance Henna (visit her site for loads of info on henna, indigo etc.) in London to see what she had to say. Here is her opinion concerning the conditioning effects of Indigo (with her permission to quote):

Hi N***!

I agree with you, based only on personal experience I must add. I would surmise that indigo is alkaline and has fantastic conditioning properties.

In fact I find that henna on its own can sometimes be drying on (very) grey hair. Indigo conditions and transforms the coarse henna orange hair ( on grey) and already dry /coarse dark colour hair ( no henna/just indigo on already dark hair) into glossy well conditioned hair; sometimes it takes a few hours for the gloss to really shine through post indigo. That's my experience - based on personal experience, experimentation, and a lot of customer feedback.

I also find that when indigo fails to release dye, a good old bottle of strong mineral water will generally do the trick. Therefore indigo likes an alkaline environment - in my opinion. But I'm afraid I have no science to back this up !

I hope this helps anyway. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Sabrina: http://www.renaissancehenna.com
    Renaissance Henna Ltd.,
    Last edited by Celebrian; July 6th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
    Awakening from the dream...

Has anyone found a safe or at least safer dye since the last post six years ago? Last time I used henna, I had bright orange roots. At this point I have probably two inches of gray to cover somehow. My normal color is medium brown.
    Last edited by daizyduke; June 7th, 2018 at 03:52 PM.