Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Henindigo - Hallo PPD hairdyes ! 'Grey' reflections...

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

nah i used it all. I have somewhat oily skin, and it said not to wash my hair beforehand, so the moisturizer i use mighta been on there. Its not TOO terrible, but i'll be careful next time to wash them sideburns!! As its drying.... the color is definately an improvement, more even (though the roots dont match persea), but i think in time it'll even out.

I'm pretty happy with it. I think though if i want to cancel out the red, i might go for a permanent brown on the length thats henna'd and then upkeep roots with the natural instincts.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Yes, I'm henna free. The dye came out fabulous, the red still lays underneath and I look like I have a really fabulous richness and glow to my hair with lots of highlights.

My profile picture shows my hair the day or so after I dyed it.

I'm debating this step too - it really is becoming a time-consuming bother, not to mention the color hasn't been "right" since I started henna'ing (and sometimes indigo'ing) 4 years ago. Mostly, this latest process of going too dark w/indigo, has convinced me that I am just flat tired of messing with it more. Sooooo, like you, I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with the grow out and the upkeep. I have contemplated dying just the roots/canopy going forward, at least for awhile, as my gray barely shows...that is likely my solution (for now.)

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    I'm debating this step too - it really is becoming a time-consuming bother, not to mention the color hasn't been "right" since I started henna'ing (and sometimes indigo'ing) 4 years ago. Mostly, this latest process of going too dark w/indigo, has convinced me that I am just flat tired of messing with it more. Sooooo, like you, I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with the grow out and the upkeep. I have contemplated dying just the roots/canopy going forward, at least for awhile, as my gray barely shows...that is likely my solution (for now.)
    I've seen you posting about your henna/indigo experiences quite often, and have just realised that I don't even know what your natural colour is! Are you darkish as well? Lucky you not having much grey... that is an issue many people on this thread are trying to address.

My natural color is light to medium ash brown (without red tones) I do have a few gray hairs but they seem to mix well, they are evenly sprinkled throughout my hair and although henna and indigo cover them (I don't seem to have resistent gray) I am starting to miss my natural color. I have been finding it quite difficult to match make-up, clothes, etc. to color and skin-tone (and I have been paying more attention to this detail lately) as I know that the colors that flatter me naturally are not so great with henna'd hair color.... mostly though, I think I just need a break from the upkeep! The more I mull it over, the more I feel that going back to my natural color and (perhaps adding highlights in the future to blend gray, if necessary) may be a better way to go... like you, I am having a tug-o-war with it and I'm sure I will go back and forth w/ the decision for some time.

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrian View Post
    Nevermore (welcome BTW) and Loviator - I'm not sure that Manic Panic will cover the grey; and that's one of the biggest issues for me, and also the reason I started this thread.

Perhaps other'greys' have had MP experiences that they can share?
    Thank you! And I'm not sure if it would or not, but it's worth a try, methinks. If I had grays to test on, I'd find out for you, but (un)fortunately, I don't.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    Thank you! And I'm not sure if it would or not, but it's worth a try, methinks. If I had grays to test on, I'd find out for you, but (un)fortunately, I don't.
    Oh, bless you Nevermore.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    My natural color is light to medium ash brown (without red tones) I do have a few gray hairs but they seem to mix well, they are evenly sprinkled throughout my hair and although henna and indigo cover them (I don't seem to have resistent gray) I am starting to miss my natural color. I have been finding it quite difficult to match make-up, clothes, etc. to color and skin-tone (and I have been paying more attention to this detail lately) as I know that the colors that flatter me naturally are not so great with henna'd hair color.... mostly though, I think I just need a break from the upkeep! The more I mull it over, the more I feel that going back to my natural color and (perhaps adding highlights in the future to blend gray, if necessary) may be a better way to go... like you, I am having a tug-o-war with it and I'm sure I will go back and forth w/ the decision for some time.
    Oh dear, if you're 'ashy' by nature I would have thought that red/gold would not be what you wanted. Having said that, my daughter is ashy toned, and her stylist was suggesting that she would benefit from 'golden' highlights to warm her colouring... so, I don't know. It's a minefield, this colouring business, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sari View Post
    I am wondering how it would be to alternate between henna/indigo and box hairdye. Say using box hairdye for roots and then after 2 or 3 months doing a 2 step with henna/indigo? That way you don't feel tied to a 2 step time consuming process every couple of weeks. And of course you'd have to figure out which box dyes play nice and safe with henna/indigo. One of my friends does it this way. if you're worried about itchiness and headache then that would be a reason to use only those things that don't produce that reaction.
    I don't know if this is an option for you Celebrian, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I haven't read through the thread), but I thought I'd let you know what I've been doing in regards to henna and box coloring. I have been alternating between henna/henna indigo (1 step method) and a semi-permanent color (with heat). For the most part, I do my roots, which is every two to three weeks. Then after 3 or 4 root colorings I will do a whole henna-indigo application. I've been doing this consistantly for about 6 months andI really like doing this. It saves me some time. I have quite a bit of grey. My front bangs are a third grey. And I use a bottle semi-perm from Sallys - Clarol Professional Beautiful Collection - which has been working wonderfully with the henna. So, going with what Sari has mentioned (quote above), should work, if you decide to try this. Hope this makes sense, I'm a bit tired tonight.
    Last edited by SpiralingWaves; April 8th, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Oops! double post, sorry.