Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimberlily's defrizz spray

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Kimberlily's defrizz spray

I got a PM requesting that I repost this on the new board, so here goes!

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
    1 tsp jojoba
    1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
    essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water.

I don't just use it on my hair. Here are some other uses:

* If you omit the essential oils, it is a wonderful eye makeup remover. Just spritz on a cotton pad and swipe away your makeup.
    * Keep it in the fridge in the summer for a refreshing moisturizing spritz after coming in from the sun.
    * Spritz on your legs and use it for shaving if you're in a rush and have no time to shower.
    Last edited by kimberlily; March 15th, 2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: wanted to add other uses for the spray

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

Where can you find glycerin?
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Some drugstores will carry it, or you can find it at health food stores

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

How long can you keep it? Mine smelled funny after some days, but I suppose you don't use the whole stuff in that short time... so do you use any special tricks?

Length
    APL/waist/class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Kimberlily, I love this recipe! I add ylang ylang EO to mine.

I use it on my freshly washed and dried hair to smooth down the flyaways. I divided the mixture into 2 spray bottles, so that I can keep a bottle at work. (It helps to protect against the too dry heated or air-conditioned air in the office.)

I do have to be careful not to go overboard in using it, as my fine hair can get weighed down and piece-y looking.

Thank you for posting the recipe again.

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Iylivarae View Post
    How long can you keep it? Mine smelled funny after some days, but I suppose you don't use the whole stuff in that short time... so do you use any special tricks?
    I find that if I use aloe juice instead of the gel (I like Fruit of the Earth) it smells off after a few days. I keep it in the fridge if the weather is warm (and it makes a lovely moisturizing summer refresher if you spritz it on your skin after coming in out of the sun!)

ETA: I also use it to detangle my daughter's hair, and for damp bunning. I go through it pretty fast

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Does anybody know where I can buy aloe gel in Germany? I never saw it in a regular drugstrore...
    At true tailbone!

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I sent a couple of bottles to an LHCer in Germany. It is hard to find there. Maybe post a separate thread and see if you get any leads, Gothic Lolita. I know that many recipes here include aloe gel. In a pinch, you can use fresh aloe, but it won't keep as long.

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Kimberlily, I love your recipe, I started off with using a couple of other ingredients in it but eventually I make exactly like your recipe because that works the best. Many days I've gotten up in the morning and had straightish tangly hair. I comb it out then spritz it with your recipe and then squeeze the hair and scrunch it, then it turns out looking beautiful.

I agree totally with the aloe gel and the distilled water, they are the best to use. I use patchouli as my EO drops.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

This is absolutely the most useful recipe on LHC! I use this stuff every day as a detangling spray. Thanks for reposting, kimberlily.

However, is it possibly 1 tsp jojoba rather than 1 tbsp? 1 tbsp seems rather high, but I have the recipe backed up on my other computer and won't be able to access it until the weekend.

I always use commercial aloe gel that's full of preservatives. My spray lasts a couple months without smelling or looking any different. As always, if you are worried about bacterial growth (and then aerosolizing said bacterial growth and breathing it in), feel free to ignore me. I haven't gotten sick off it or had any problems, though.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters