Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags, Copyright Issues, and Street Shots

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    What if we take an image that is not ours, and edit it, and then use that?

This can easily get very complicated....
    From what I understand it's against copyright law to use image like that. It violated the person who took/draw/whatever that picture. Different thing is if the image is not copyrighted, there are many people out there who give their photos for others to use, but even then the image might have partial copyright, preventing it's usage for comercial use.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WritingPrincess View Post
    I think I understand. Just one quick question. If I get my dad to take a picture of my hair, does that need a "posted with permission"?
    Thanks for the clarification, Flaxen.
    I'm not Flaxen or LHC staff, but rest assured you can post picture of your hair your dad took without adding any text. Ofcourse it's always polite to give credit to the photographer even in such case.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Just to add to the confusion, taking a picture yourself doesn't necessarily guarantee that you're not violating a copyright. It depends on what you're taking a picture of. Certain works of art or literature, for example, might require permission before you could be free and clear to post pics of them on the Internet.

(It's probably a good rule of thumb for our purposes, though. )

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Is it permitted to use the LHC smilies on TBB? Like, copy the URL of the smilie and paste it into the TBB post using the IMG-tags.
    Bumping this in case one of the mods would like to chime in.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Calista, I think they all live on the same server here, so I don't see why that would be a problem.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Account Closed by Member Request

Yeah, that´s what I thought - I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Daughter of the King WritingPrincess's Avatar
    South of the cheese, not quite out of the corn.
    Length
    SL/41"/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Okay, thanks, Arctic. I thought so, just wanted to make sure.
    "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
    ~ John 8:11

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LeaM07 View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, taking a picture yourself doesn't necessarily guarantee that you're not violating a copyright. It depends on what you're taking a picture of. Certain works of art or literature, for example, might require permission before you could be free and clear to post pics of them on the Internet.

(It's probably a good rule of thumb for our purposes, though. )
    Darn it, you got there before me! Yes, I have also heard about copyright violations caused by taking photos with buildings in the background, or photos of the building, that needed permission to be used. Maybe that's just commercial, newspaper uses or whatever.

This is a very difficult situation but it seems overall that if we post links (remembering to mention if something may be NSFW) then we take the problem away for LHC of copyright violation. If that site is using a copyrighted image illegally it's their problem.

Am I right?
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    This is a very difficult situation but it seems overall that if we post links (remembering to mention if something may be NSFW) then we take the problem away for LHC of copyright violation. If that site is using a copyrighted image illegally it's their problem.

Am I right?
    I think you are right, and I like the way you put it!

(Although really NSFW stuff probably shouldn't even be linked to. You can give people search terms for a search engine if it's important that they be able to find something.)

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I'm very wary of NSFW; if something links to a bikini photo I'd give a warning just incase you have a very strict boss or don't want rumours starting or something. Anything very very much unsuitable you're quite right, I'd just say what helpful words I'd typed into Google.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram