View Poll Results: How often do you wash your hair during summer?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wash every day

7 19.44%
  • Every other day

8 22.22%
  • Every 3 days

14 38.89%
  • Once a week

7 19.44%
  • Cheese is my only option

5 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer washing- How often?

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Question Summer washing- How often?

I know I can't be the only one with this problem. My scalp sweats a lot during summer, and I can basically wash my hair every day. How often do you wash your hair? Do you change the routine to keep it more moisturized during the hot weather?
    I've been looking for a thread on this with zero success. I found a lot of those on how to prevent dryness..
    Growing virgin hip length

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Summer washing- How often?

I’m not washing it any more than normal (WO). After sweaty exercise like running I put my hair up in a top bun and rinse the underneath the bun with cold water to remove the sweat and refresh my scalp. When it’s dry I brush it out.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I wash every other week to once a month all year 'round.

In between washes I keep the hair and scalp clean with a BBB. To keep it moisturized in between washes I use aloe vera, detangling spray and seal it in with a bit of oil.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Recently I have been doing CO washes a couple of times a week and shampooing when my scalp feels like it needs it. . . around four or six weeks. This doesn't have anything in particular to do with the weather and my scalp does not feel all that much different during hot weather than cold. For what it is worth, it is extremely hot and dry here during the summers. . . the highs this week are all in the high 100s/low 110s Fahrenheit and it won't start to cool down until September, humidity around 10-20%. So perhaps we're simply acclimated to having sweaty heads all the time here? I do sprinkle water on my head pretty often, but that's just to cool off, not to try to wash anything.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Recently I have been doing CO washes a couple of times a week and shampooing when my scalp feels like it needs it. . . around four or six weeks. This doesn't have anything in particular to do with the weather and my scalp does not feel all that much different during hot weather than cold. For what it is worth, it is extremely hot and dry here during the summers. . . the highs this week are all in the high 100s/low 110s Fahrenheit and it won't start to cool down until September, humidity around 10-20%. So perhaps we're simply acclimated to having sweaty heads all the time here? I do sprinkle water on my head pretty often, but that's just to cool off, not to try to wash anything.
    That’s low humidity, so a dry heat? By comparison last week here in the UK humidity was 80-90% and horribly sticky. Just breathing made me sweat lol.

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    That’s low humidity, so a dry heat? By comparison last week here in the UK humidity was 80-90% and horribly sticky. Just breathing made me sweat lol.
    That's the problem I'm dealing with..A lot of humidity, and it's hard to breath, I sweat all the time all over my body, so my head is no exception ..I was wondering if it would be ok to wash every day, but in the same time I don't want to cause a shed or dry it out till it splits...
    Growing virgin hip length

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Yes, dry enough to cause random nosebleeds and slough off layers of skin at a time. I still much prefer the desert to someplace humid, though! I used to live in south Georgia, just above the Okefenokee Swamp. . . I thought that after a summer there, I deserved to have grown gills : P It never cooled off, even overnight. Best wishes for putting up with your own sticky weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    That's the problem I'm dealing with..A lot of humidity, and it's hard to breath, I sweat all the time all over my body, so my head is no exception ..I was wondering if it would be ok to wash every day, but in the same time I don't want to cause a shed or dry it out till it splits...
    If washing daily makes your scalp feel better, then why not try it for a while? There may not be any negative effects. And if you are worried about more washing causing your hair to dry out, you can always do something moisturizing on a daily basis, too.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    I've found rinsing the scalp not the length works well, as that's the part that gets sweaty. I should have added to my reply to your post that I tie a plastic bag around my bun so i don't get it wet during the process... it's actually a dog poo bag
    Also I'm sure I read somewhere that hot / warm water moves the sebum more than cold water, which is why I rinse sweaty hair in cold. In fact I made my OH smell my scalp after I'd done the scalp rinse post-shower and he said it didn't smell sweaty, just normal. You could try that and also the BBB as Tatsu recommends, and see which your hair prefers.

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I usually wash from every four to every six days and summer makes no exceptions. But I usually stay at home in summer. If I need to go out everyday for some reason my hair gets dirty faster because of the hot weather and I wash every four days. I try to keep my washing routine more stable as I can.

But I think that if your hair gets dirty so faster, there's no problem with washing more frequently. I mean, you're not washing clean hair.
    For the dryness, maybe you could try with a milder shampoo I think.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

For me my bicycle helmet is the culprit.
    Washing the sweat off with only water doesn't work for me because there is so much lime in our water and it leaves residue on the hair.