Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official "Stretching Washes" Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Official "Stretching Washes" Thread

There's no place to discuss that article, but since you mention it... I seem to recall there was a thread a few months back that reported a reduction in shedding from washing in cold water. That certainly makes sense under the theory. Thanks for explaining!

As for stretching washes, I have found that when I massage the scalp, it makes it greasier. So now I don't touch it most of the week and only massage the night before a wash (I wash in the morning).

If my hair is getting unbearably greasy, I'll sometimes do a WO wash. It allows me to postpone a stronger wash by two to three days, usually. And, as many people in this thread, I finally managed to spread out washes only when I gave up shampoo. I use Indian herbs most of the time, with an occasional egg in-between. I think conditioner only attracts dirt to my hair, and it also seems to react with sebum to produce a horrible gunky mess. Obviously this varies from person to person; plenty of people manage to stretch out washes while using conventional products.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    SNIP:
    As for stretching washes, I have found that when I massage the scalp, it makes it greasier. So now I don't touch it most of the week and only massage the night before a wash (I wash in the morning).
    Hm, I've been thinking about that lately. I notice that during weeks when I wear my hair down, it gets 'dirty' faster than weeks I wear it up most of the time... Maybe because the movement of the hair is 'rubbing' the scalp to produce more sebum?
    I'm just wondering because I washed my hair Thursday evening (so this is day one and a half), and it's already kinda greasy looking... I'm thinking it's because I wore it down and played with it all day yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by morecowbell View Post
    Hm, I've been thinking about that lately. I notice that during weeks when I wear my hair down, it gets 'dirty' faster than weeks I wear it up most of the time... Maybe because the movement of the hair is 'rubbing' the scalp to produce more sebum?
    I'm just wondering because I washed my hair Thursday evening (so this is day one and a half), and it's already kinda greasy looking... I'm thinking it's because I wore it down and played with it all day yesterday...
    I've noticed that wearing it up seems to go with extending time between washes, too, but I don't know if this is the reason... It could also be that the hair gets just as dirty but it's not as noticeable, or maybe it's because sebum gets on the ends as well as on the roots? There may be something to your idea, too; maybe moving the follicles squeezes more sebum out (see Igor's article on making washes more cleansing). Whatever it is, it's yet another reason to wear hair up!

I'd love to hear people's stance/opinions on dry shampoo and whether it counts as a 'wash' or not?
    I personally don't see it as a wash, because when I use it, it almost never gets on my scalp.
    Anybody else?

I guess something to think about is whether we'd be pondering if dry shampoo counts as a wash if it were called something like "oil removing powder" rather than "shampoo" ; )

I love dry shampoo, by the way. I have thin hair that loses a lot of volume as soon as it gets a bit greasy, and dry shampoo is the only thing that allows me to go a day between washes. And the more washes I skip, the happier and healthier my hair and scalp are looking and feeling. I want to send the lovely people at Batiste a big thank you card!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkDisco View Post
    I guess something to think about is whether we'd be pondering if dry shampoo counts as a wash if it were called something like "oil removing powder" rather than "shampoo" ; )

I love dry shampoo, by the way. I have thin hair that loses a lot of volume as soon as it gets a bit greasy, and dry shampoo is the only thing that allows me to go a day between washes. And the more washes I skip, the happier and healthier my hair and scalp are looking and feeling. I want to send the lovely people at Batiste a big thank you card!
    Hehe You could write my name at the bottom of that card too! Although, I'm liking the new Tresseme Naturals one fairly well, too. It's less expensive lol!
    I'm trying not to think too hard about the 'washing' power of dry shampoo, and in my mind, when I use it, I'm kind of thinking of it as a half wash.

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

I'd love to hear people's stance/opinions on dry shampoo and whether it counts as a 'wash' or not?
    I personally don't see it as a wash, because when I use it, it almost never gets on my scalp.
    Anybody else?
    Not really, but it depends on the type of hair you have. Dry shampoos help "sop" up oil in the scalp, but I feel like you may as well just brush the hair really good with a boar bristle brush instead, or rinse well with very warm water.
    <--FYI, the avatar is me, just wearing a wig, my protective style of choice

Length
    -/Clsc/?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Hi all! I am new here. I would love to stretch the time between washes during the winter. My hair takes about six hours to dry, so going outside after a wash is not a good idea.

My scalp tends to get greasy quickly. I currently do a full wash two (sometimes three) times a week with scalp washes on the in between days.

Is there anything I can do to help stretch out my washes? Or is this just a matter of putting up with the greasy hair until my scalp adjusts?

I've seen some of you mention dry shampoo? How well does that work? It seems like it would be a good way to get clean hair and avoid having to go out with wet hair!

Thanks in advance,

Lorna

Quote Originally Posted by LornaDoone View Post
    <snip>

Is there anything I can do to help stretch out my washes? Or is this just a matter of putting up with the greasy hair until my scalp adjusts?

I've seen some of you mention dry shampoo? How well does that work? It seems like it would be a good way to get clean hair and avoid having to go out with wet hair!

Thanks in advance,

Lorna
    Firstly, welcome to LHC!

As for your question, I've yet to meet someone who didn't get a greasy scalp while stretching washes (unless they did it so very gradually that it was hours instead of days that they were stretching). Greasy hair isn't so bad, though.

And concerning dry shampoo, here is what I can tell you:
    Of the two products I've tried (Tresseme Naturals and Batiste), Batiste works much better... however, it's also twice as expensive. I use the Tresseme cause I'm cheap :P
    Basically, it's dust that you spray into your hair, and then brush out (along with a good bit of the oil/sebum that was on your hair).
    My experience with both of these is that they stiffen hair up a bit, and add quite a bit of volume (which is a GREAT thing for hiding the greasies).

I'm already planning on using dry shampoo more often than actually washing my hair come winter... no way can I go outside with wet hair!

And concerning dry shampoo, here is what I can tell you:
    Of the two products I've tried (Tresseme Naturals and Batiste), Batiste works much better... however, it's also twice as expensive. I use the Tresseme cause I'm cheap :P
    Basically, it's dust that you spray into your hair, and then brush out (along with a good bit of the oil/sebum that was on your hair).
    My experience with both of these is that they stiffen hair up a bit, and add quite a bit of volume (which is a GREAT thing for hiding the greasies).
    You can use plain cornstarch, or cornstarch-based baby powder. If you have dark hair and like a bit more scent in it, mix in plain, unsweetened cocoa powder. Some people add a few drops of essential oil to their cornstarch, too, but I never have, on account that I'm worried it would clump up and I'll end up with cornstarch paste in my hair.