Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oils for thin-medium & 1-2 hair types?

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Oils for thin-medium & 1-2 hair types?

The other night I found that I quite liked a deep oiling with coconut oil (even though mine is refined and the smell it can leave is just... no, haha) for about 30-60 minutes before washing it all out. It felt really nice afterward. My problem is that when I use tiny amounts of coconut oil on my length/ends as just a daily treatment, it feels piecey and I get loads of dust and buildup (or so it seems to me).

I don't know if it's just me or my hair type or what, but I don't know what is a good oil that I could use for a daily treatment that won't look greasy/piecey and won't weigh down my hair. I obviously only want to try one at the moment to see how it goes, for experiment sake AND money.

I've been looking and seeing a lot about jojoba oil, but I'm also interested in what people with similar hair types have found Night Blooming's Panacea Hair Salve and especially the Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil. Thanks!

Length
    24/29.5/39
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Oils for thin-medium & 1-2 hair types?

I highly recommend japanese camellia oil. A drop or two on damp or dry hair always give me amazing shine and softness. Never makes my hair look oily or piecey.
    It's a HG oil for me.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks, but any more suggestions???

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I can only vote against certain oils for daily use
    I love sweet almond oil for deep treatments but it's much too heavy for daily use. If coconut oil is already too much for your hair, it will probably be worse with all heavier oils (e.g. olive oil).

Maybe you could look into shea butter or shea butter mixes like Fox's Shea Cream? I have used this in winter time with great success for my ends; however it still tended to build up over time.

Another thing to try would be to put a tiny amount of oil in a mister bottle (do a search, there should be some threads on misting hair) and spray your ends daily with that. Because you use even less oil then, it should not build up as fast.

Hope that helps!
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Length
    12/20/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Ive been using macadamia oil, just a tiny amount, it is quite pricey though but it smells gorgeous and actually does manage to make the ends of my hair soft so well worth the cost!

I have a really hard time using straight oils on my fine hair, especially if I want to wear it down. It seems that no matter how little I use, my hair always ends up looking lank and greasy.

But I absolutely love NightBlooming's Panacea (I use the Vegan version, it's so yummy!). It absorbs right into my hair rather than just sitting on top like oils seem to do. And I only use a tiny bit each time. I have found that I can use too much and it will make my hair a little greasy. So I use just a small amount, enough to make my palms shiny when I rub my hands together. It really has made a difference in my hair. I love the stuff.

I also have the Triple Moon oil and will sometimes mix it with the panacea, but the smell is a bit too strong and herbally for my taste. I use it more for a pre-wash treatment.

Good luck!

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I also am a 1 hair type with fine hair. I have found simmilar results to you in that I find coconut a bit heavy for use after cleaning my hair, but good as a deep oiling method before hand. I have found Olive Oil too heavy as well, as Phexlyn suggested would be the case. I guess I wanted to let you know you are not alone and add my vote for no on olive oil... and that I am watching this for ideas for myself!

Length
    29 in/33.25/35 in
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by monsterna View Post
    Thanks, but any more suggestions???
    I like Argon oil. I have used it a few times and it feels lighter than coconut & olive oil.
    I'm curious about Camellia oil.

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Two thoughts:

Have you tried Ktani's Movie Star Shampoo (mixing coconut oil in with a simple shampoo)? That works a lot better for me than deep oiling with coconut oil.

Also, have you tried applying oils when your hair is damp? That's how I apply most oils now, & my hair no longer looks greasy or attracts dust.

Other things that have worked for me:

Nightblooming's Triple Moon Annointing Oil. . . about 4 drops applied to damp hair & spread throughout with my fingers. I allow it to dry untouched & then when dry, I brush through with a BBB. I also use Nightblooming's Panacea's Hair Salve on just the ends if they feel dry.

I wasn't a fan of jojoba oil. . . it felt heavy/greasy to me, but it does feel nice on my skin, so at least the bottle didn't go to waste. Olive oil was also too heavy for me, but I do use a couple of Tbsp. when I henndigo, because it makes the "mud" easier to wash out.

I purchased 100% pure argan oil on Amazon.com. It was expensive, but it's very lightweight. I can apply it to dry hair (unlike most other oils) if I have flyaways. Also seems to be working well as a moisturizer on my acne prone skin.

About once a week, I use a 1:1 mixture of castor oil and Nightblooming's Triple Moon Annointing Oil for just my scalp. . . hoping it will make my hair grow in thicker. I don't know if it's working yet though.
    Last edited by ddiana1979; January 31st, 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks guys! I'm really interested in NB Triple Moon, so I may have to go for that. I'll also look into Argan oil.