Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy coconut oil in UK?

Length
    root/24.5/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Question Where to buy coconut oil in UK?

I want to start using coconut oil on my hair but I have no idea where to get it. I've read that some oils are processed and I'd like to get an oil that's all natural if possible. I looked in Boots but they didn't have any oil, just products that have coconut oil in them but that's not what I'm after.

Any suggestions? How much does it cost on average? Thanks in advance

Length
    24?/31.5"/32"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Where to buy coconut oil in UK?

Whole foods (or any health food store I would imagine) has a few varieties of all natural coconut oil (both refined and unrefined). Just remember, it comes in a jar as a solid!
    To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. – William Blake

Length
    root/24.5/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Really?? I thought it would be a standard oily oil O_o Do you have to do something to it to make it more oily?

Length
    24?/31.5"/32"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ladyjo View Post
    Really?? I thought it would be a standard oily oil O_o Do you have to do something to it to make it more oily?
    Just warm it in your hands... and a little goes a long way!
    To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. – William Blake

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

From websites that sell soap-making supplies, you can buy it by weight. But be careful you buy the edible kind, not the kind that's had the smell extracted from it (that's if you want the nice smell, of course).

I used to get it from Holland and Barratt, but their price has gone WAY up.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My friend (salls on here) has bought some from Holland & Barrett: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=690&searchterm=coconut%20oi l&rdcnt=1 I believe it was on offer when she bought it and so about £6 or £8. It looks rather like vaseline and smells quite strongly of coconuts (I want to eat it every time she opens it!).

I bought mine at an Indian grocers shop. It's refined (I think) because it is a hard, pure white, waxy solid and has no scent. However, mine works just as well for hair stuff and cost £1.89 for 500mls. Mine is 'KTC' brand and looks like this: http://www.herbsgardenshealth.com/Fo...nut%20Oil.jpeg It says (in numerous languages!) that it is 100% coconut oil. And, TBH, it is probably better for me that it doesn't have the scent as otherwise I would have given in and tried to eat it by now...

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ladyjo View Post
    It's solid at room temperature and supposedly melts around 70*F, but mine never has melted. If I'm using it on my body, I just stick the jar in the shower with me, and make sure that water hits the jar every now and then. It usually liquifies and softens it enough that I can use it easily when I'm out. I'm impatient, and rubbing my hands over it when it's super solid to get enough for my whole body is too slow. Alternatively, scraping some up gets under my nails and squicks me out, and having a spoon in the bathroom annoys me. *shrug*

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TB
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I buy mine from Akamuti - it has lasted me for ages!
    Evie
    Lady Evye Guardian of the Natural Order in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Taking a general break from the boards in 2012, but will be working on my blog......

Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

I got mine from Holland & Barrett. My tub was only about £5 at the time and has lasted for ages!
    Revirgised.....The henna is gone and I'm starting over!
    Lady Nótt of the Depthless Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

I've managed to get some really cheap stuff from my local pharmacy in Bournemouth, it comes in really inconspicuous packaging so might be worth just asking for it, as for how processed it is? Not sure