Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My henna arrives today!!! Help!

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default My henna arrives today!!! Help!

Ok folks, my Light Mountain henna arrives today! I ordered the Chestnut color. I'm so excited.

Please give me some tips? If you're familiar with this product.

Ok, I'm not sure how long to leave it on my head? 2 hours? 3? More?
    I was planning on putting my DD down to bed tonight before I start. I don't want her up and about when I'm trying to attempt this messy application. (I assume it's messy?)

The second thing I'm worried about is how toxic it is? It's not supposed to be toxic right? I'm just concerned because of DD. She usually co-sleeps with me for part of the night and I don't want her near my head if it's going to poison her.

If I rinse it out good it should be ok right? I know it leaves a residual smell, like "hay" according to most people. That's not going to hurt her is it?

Is there anything else I need to know? How do you normally apply it? Hands? Brush? I read somewhere to use a ziploc bag, like your going to pipe frosting, cut a hole in a corner and apply it that way.
    Would that work do you think?

Any other tips suggestions?

Thanks SO MUCH! I am so excited.

I need this today because I'm so depressed with my husband on a business trip and my aging parents not doing well.

Thanks!

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: My henna arrives today!!! Help!

If it is pure henna it will not harm DD at all. I'd suggest putting her down for a bit, applying your henna then wrapping it in plastic followed by a big knit hat to cover everything safely. Put an old towel on your pillow if you have to. I've done that to nap with henna on my head before. Good luck!

Edit: I gloop it on with my hands. Sometimes if I have help I'll use a root shooter I got from Mehandi. If you're doing your entire head and not just roots, section your hair from ear to ear and down the middle in to 4 equal parts and break those down in to section by section to ensure even coverage.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/26/49
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    If it is pure henna it will not harm DD at all. I'd suggest putting her down for a bit, applying your henna then wrapping it in plastic followed by a big knit hat to cover everything safely. Put an old towel on your pillow if you have to. I've done that to nap with henna on my head before. Good luck!
    Eh no. Henna is toxic for some small children. Children have died. It's just not likely to affect her if mommy applies it to her hair and the daughter has only very few interaction with it.
    http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyc...ical/g6pd.html

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wear plastic or rubber gloves. Don't skip the part where you apply Vaseline or something similar to your hairline and ears.

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Thanks guys.

Do you think I should do a patch test? I am only allergic to bee's that I know of.

Length
    Shldr/Clbn/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

you probably should, but I never do patch tests as I am too impatient :P Let us know how it goes!
    ~~Lady Cēphisso of the Evercolor Inkwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~~
    Shoulder!!!!...on my way to Classic!

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
    Eh no. Henna is toxic for some small children. Children have died. It's just not likely to affect her if mommy applies it to her hair and the daughter has only very few interaction with it.
    http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyc...ical/g6pd.html
    Yeah, but the article states that it only applies if the child is G6PD deficient.

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Hmmm I don't have any way of knowing if she has that or not. I mean we are Asian and White, not the typical group that has it but who knows.

Now I don't know if I want to use it or not. =(

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

I don't know about typical races who have it but I know my husband has it, as he found out when he was in the Navy, and they test for everything. He's black.
    Our kids might have gotten it, as it could be genetic as well, and they are 11 yrs and younger, and nothing has ever shown up in any of them and most of all of them have had henna.

The only I DO notice with this deficiency is that it seems that my husband doesn't really get very dark henna stains on his skin (I'm a henna artist as well), as others do. They are a bit on the lightish brown tone.

No reactions were noted otherwise. Just do a test patch to be 100% sure and to be safe using pure herbs on their own would be a better route then pre-mixed boxes. Its also easier this way to pin point herbs that cause allergic reactions or irritations.

I second the Vaseline comment, and don't forget your ears! It saves you from having a red forehead in case there is some leaking.

Also, most directions will say to use gloves when you put it in so your hands don't turn orange. It never occurred to me that it might be a good idea to put them on when I rinsed as well. The red washed off my skin easily enough but my nails seem to love the color and now I have orange fingernails.