Thread: looking to achieve BLACK hair with henna/indigo question???

Default looking to achieve BLACK hair with henna/indigo question???

So I don't want ALL of my hair black (at this moment) but I'm thinking about just the underneith section (put hair in a half-up making a part form ear to ear and darkning what's left)
    Anyways I know that calls for 2 step henndigo process, but do I have to re do both? I just did a 1step a couple weeks ago is the henna still active to turn the indigo black or do I have to re do the henna and quickly do the indigo?
    I would like to do this maybe this evening so any help would be appricated.

Length
    85"/47"/47"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: looking to achieve BLACK hair with henna/indigo question???

I once did the second step 2 days after doing henna and it didn't stick super well. It did work ... it just didn't get me to black.

This is just my personal experience, the reality might be different for you though

On the other hand ... what could it hurt to try?

Length
    20/39/42
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I never do the two steps. I just put one or two tablespoons of henna into my indigo. I get a deep black even on my light brown roots. With your hair already being red from henna I don't see what could go wrong with just using indigo.
    1a F/M ii - Color: indigo

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflower View Post
    I never do the two steps. I just put one or two tablespoons of henna into my indigo. I get a deep black even on my light brown roots. With your hair already being red from henna I don't see what could go wrong with just using indigo.
    i never even thought of that! great Idea...so it doesnt have to dye-release?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've heard that indigo dye releases very fast. I have no personal experience, however.

Length
    85"/47"/47"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by redneckprincess View Post
    i never even thought of that! great Idea...so it doesnt have to dye-release?
    Nope. Indigo is good to go immediately. It demises in 90 minutes so the sooner you slap it on the better.

The theory used to be to let it sit 15 minutes for dye release but that has since been proven unnecessary.

Good luck! I'm sure it will look awesome

Length
    20/39/42
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

redneckprincess, I think your dye release-question refers to the henna? For henna I use the method I've learned from German hair forums, which differs from the American method. The German method is to get immediate dye release by using boiling water.

So I take my two tablespoons of henna and pour some boiling water over it. Stir and let it sit for a minute or two. Then add the indigo and add hot, but not boiling water to get dye release from the indigo. For me, this works very well!

yes the dye release DID refer to the henna, sorry I should have been more spacific. and thanks for the answer
    i thought I heard hot water kills the indigo

redneckprincess, I think your dye release-question refers to the henna? For henna I use the method I've learned from German hair forums, which differs from the American method. The German method is to get immediate dye release by using boiling water.

So I take my two tablespoons of henna and pour some boiling water over it. Stir and let it sit for a minute or two. Then add the indigo and add hot, but not boiling water to get dye release from the indigo. For me, this works very well!

Length
    20/39/42
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by redneckprincess View Post
    i thought I heard hot water kills the indigo
    Yes it does, so the water mustn't be too hot! I think the max. temperature is around 60 degrees Celsius. That's also why I put in the henna first and then wait until it has cooled down a bit.

Length
    85"/47"/47"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Thanks for this tidbit! I find the water only dye release for henna really interesting since the Henna Hut henna I just ordered suggests this method too.

I actually have a hairball sitting in it as we speak