Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redhead Recipes

Default Redhead Recipes

Ok, I'm trying to go more natural ... and am overwhelmed with the recipes for oil treatments, rinses, etc.

I've been using John Freida "Radiant Red" products for years with good results, but I realize as my hair grows longer this may not be best in the "long run" (hardy har har).

So I was wondering if any other natural redheads out there have good recipes for maintaining bright color and shine?

I've just ordered an "auburn" kit from Prairieland Herbs ... it comes with one shampoo bar, an oil, a bundle of herbs for soaks, and a vinegar rinse. After I get used to these new things though, I want to start making them on my own.

So - lets hear it - strut your stuff fellow redheads! What works, what doesn't? Oh - and I (and my DBF) adore the scent of lavendar ... those that use it, do you use crushed herbs or essential oils - and how?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: Redhead Recipes

Have you looked into henna? While it's frequently used to dye hair red, you could try a henna gloss to brighten the colour and condition your hair.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I tried a henna gloss just recently, hoping to deepen my auburn highlights, but it was pretty orange. Anyone have any tips on how to make it more auburn?
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I use henna mostly. I also use rosemary and sage rinses teas etc for darkening, particularly of my greys between hennas. I know some people use red teas. I also used to use red wine for rinses and soaks and that seemed to work well for me but now I can not stand the smell.

As for lavender, I use EO's in my carrier oils.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I used these redhead shampoos a while ago and liked them, but none of them are available anymore. I'd also like recipes other than henna gloss.... I've head black coffee gives red hair more red.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I went from a medium blonde to a rich auburn after three full-head applications of Jamila henna. I add paprika and cloves to my mix, and my liquid is chamomile lemon tea. This last time I left the henna in overnight, but I don't think it made much of a difference compared to the normal 3-4 hour stew time I'd done before.

I have added lavender oil instead of cloves to mask scent, but it didn't seem to do much other than make the mix fragrant while I was stirring it - by the time I went on my head all I smelled was henna, and unlike when using cloves the henna smell seemed to linger in my hair for a few days afterwards. Not entirely unpleasant, but it does get annoying to walk around in your own little bubble of henna-smell.
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Henna.

I use it on my gray roots instead of commercial color. It blends better and makes my hair happy instead of crappy. The occasional all-over henna gloss to brighten up the length is a fantastic thing.

My personal blend is 25% henna, 75% cassia.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I just started doing a henna gloss. I'm not sure that I'm doing it 'right', but it definitely perked up my colour, but not in a O what-did-you-do-to-your-hair?? way, which I like.

I've only done it twice. (first time doesn't really count, as I didn't do it right at all) I'm scared to do more b/c I don't know if the colour is going to keep getting intensified, or if it reaches a limit & stops.

If you do it, be sure to do a test on a hairball, and if yours goes anything like mine, your hair won't come out as dark/intense as the testball. I think it's b/c the testball sits completely soaking in a baggie, whilst my hair isn't that saturated? I dunno. Just don't let it set for too long your first go ;o) I've not gone longer than 1.75 hours, and that was with 2 tablespoons of set-up henna mixed into a bottle of cheapo conditioner.

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Hi !!
    I don't usually need any brightening agents, since my hair's naturally bright enough for me, but I have done a henna gloss before, due to the Summer turning some sections more blonde.
    I just mix a teaspoon or so of henna&hot water into a lot of heated cone-free conditioner and let it soak for an hour or two.
    It brightens it a little. So if you wanted more dramatic results, you could just leave this on longer. The difference to my hair was very subtle, but I'm not sure how bright you want to go.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I just was like " Eek cannibalism recipes!" when reading the title.
    Yeah itīs late here

I never used such special haircolour series... always thought they are made for dyed hair to keep the colours vibrant . Natural hair does not loose itīs colour, except when itīs greying, so it should not neet those special haircolour care series.

What worked best for me to brighten my own red (which darkened through the years from copper over medium red to auburn) are henna-glosses. They brighten my own colour without altering it too much. But I am after the copper-tones, so the more orange the better.
    Imo it blends in the upcoming whites perfectly.