Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna Questions

Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Henna Questions

How long can henna sit while in the bowl releasing the dye? Also can you put this on inflamed scalp? I planned on doing this a couple days ago, but my scalp broke out again *sigh*. I want to henna my hair to see if it will fix my scalp problems.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Henna Questions

I let mine sit in a warm spot for about 4hours while letting the dye release.. but I don't think I would put anything on an inflamed scalp..

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Different types of henna have different dye release times (check out HennaForHair and also HennaSooq's blogspot on Henna for dye release time recommendations. You can also "speed up" dye release by mixing your henna, and then freezing it (this helps to break down the plant solids I think). You'll have henna that's ready to use as soon as it's thawed. I put mine in a plastic ziplock baggie and thawed it in a container of warm water.

Definitely get your scalp issues cleared up before putting henna on your scalp! Do you know what's causing the breakouts? The henna may help (but it can be drying), so I'd definitely find out what's going on and address that first, before henna-ing.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/M/ii

That's good that I can freeze it, because it's been sitting for 2 days now. My scalp was fine when I mixed the lemon juice in it then the next day my scalp broke out. So I will wait till it clears up. When the humidity gets high my scalp breaks out. I get the acne etc. Thanks for the help everyone

Length
    apl/apl/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I dunno if henna will be good after sitting in room temperature for a while. I was under the impression that henna reaches 'dye demise' after a certain period.

Length
    apl/apl/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Ah, just found the chart I was thinking of that shows dye release/dye demise under various conditions (depends on the type of henna used and liquid chosen to mix with it as well, but at least gives you an idea of the time range that it is usable): http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/dyerelease.html

I may end up getting sued for this but .....I think you should dye your hair with henna for sure if you have a breakout going on.

In Islamic Medicine, henna is advised to use for burns and boils. It has antibacterial properties.

Here is an extract from an article about the healing properties of henna:

"...there are three essential factors for (henna) healing..."

Expulsion of fluids from the wounds
    Cessation of production of any more fluids
    Formation of healthy flesh (granulation tissue) to fill the gap.

http://www.islamicvoice.com/november.99/tibb.htm

I keep a cone of henna in my fridge and whenever I have had a deep gash or a burn, I immediately apply the henna onto the wound. The first reaction is a fantastic cooling one and that really helps with the pain. The next thing is that the bleeding or the burn seems to cease very swiftly.

Please note that everyone is different and this is what works in my family and it is a tradition that we have been using for years without any negative effects.

It may be advisable to do a patch test first to see how your body reacts to henna on the broken out scalp.

Incidentally, I suffered from scalp acne for a long time. I wouldnt go to the hairdressers after two times suffering the embarassment of the hair dresser going "...ewwwwwwwwwww you got pimples in your head!."

Since using henna, I no longer have that. Now I wish I could go back to those snidey cows and show my beautiful gleaming scalp to them

Length
    chin/BSL/Term?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Incidentally, I suffered from scalp acne for a long time. I wouldnt go to the hairdressers after two times suffering the embarassment of the hair dresser going "...ewwwwwwwwwww you got pimples in your head!."

Since using henna, I no longer have that. Now I wish I could go back to those snidey cows and show my beautiful gleaming scalp to them [/quote]

WOW! That was really RUDE of them! I'd have complained to their managers (after the fact, probably not right in front of them.) But I'd have still called them on it! That should not be allowed!

Length
    chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

if you do go ahead and decide to use henna on an inflamed scalp, I would at least recommend testing a small, hidden spot on your scalp prior to doing a full head. There have been reports of people who are allergic to henna (rare) and having an inflamed scalp prior to henna might worsen an allergic reaction if you happend to be one of those rare allergic types.

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

You can get fabulous dye release in about an hour or two. I used to mix mine with hot tap water, test to be sure the henna was good by dropping a little glob on my palm, I always got an orange stain right after mixing. Left it on my kitchen counter for an hour or two and it was ready to roll. Freezing gave me stronger stain. Long dye release times just aren't necessary.

I used to apply henna when I had the now and then scalp zits. Never hurt anything. Of course, as with anything, YMMV.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!