Thread: Braiding help needed please

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Braiding help needed please

Hi all i love those braided updo's you see i mean French braids going into a low bun but i can't get it to look quite right and i wondered if any of you can help?

This is the look i am after (all images are clickable)

and also

but mine looks more like this

Can any of you advise were i am going wrong am i taking to many sections??
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Braiding help needed please

I wish I could help but the same thing has always happened to me. I can't get braids pinned neatly to save my life, although it very occasionally comes out all right if I start with damp hair. Good luck, and I'll watch this thread for tips as well.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

For what it's worth, I really like your braids

The only slight difference is that their braids (especially Anne's) seema bit lower down on their heads, closer to their ears.

Good luck!

ETA: I love those styles too - I usually do them with dutch braids, though, I have a few pictures in my albums if you'd like to take a look. I hope this is helpful!
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks glad i'm not the only one. I think they braid quite loosely and put tons of product on. I think it lookds quite stylish and modern at the same time.

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    For what it's worth, I really like your braids

The only slight difference is that their braids (especially Anne's) seema bit lower down on their heads, closer to their ears.

Good luck!
    Thats the problem i am having i can't seem to get the braid any lower but thanks for the compliment.

Type
    2b/M/iii

The position of the braids has a lot to do with the angle in which the braid is worked.

I'm not limber enough to french braid in the usual way (standing erect). I create my lace french braids by bringing all my hair in front of me, combing it out thoroughly, and then take a small portion just above my right eyebrow and starting the first braided section. Then I lace braid around my head, adding a small sliver of hair to each cross over. You can do either a lace Dutch braid or a lace english braid in this manner. I find the lace english braid is easier to manage.

The trickiest part is switching hands once you're past your left ear.

I find that holding the strands upright, and slightly angled back to follow the position of your head, helps to direct the braid. You might find braiding damp hair easier to manage.

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I think what you're not liking is all the sections you can see? Probably the difference is to use Dutch braids rather than regular English braiding. The sections do not show up as much that way. Also, the balance of loose enough but not so loose it won't hold.

I also comb my sections some as I go and then use a finetooth comb through the hair up to the braid after I am done to take out the sectioned look.

Don't know if that helps any! It is great to see this look being worn by some of the stars. Good luck!
    43.5 in....monthly 1/4-inch trims since Dec 2009
    Finally embracing my locks in their natural beauty
    "...for if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her..."

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SheaLynne View Post
    I think what you're not liking is all the sections you can see? Probably the difference is to use Dutch braids rather than regular English braiding. The sections do not show up as much that way. Also, the balance of loose enough but not so loose it won't hold.

I also comb my sections some as I go and then use a finetooth comb through the hair up to the braid after I am done to take out the sectioned look.

Don't know if that helps any! It is great to see this look being worn by some of the stars. Good luck!
    I think your right! i just tried doing twin Dutch braids going into a bun and it looked so much better thank you i also loosened some off the sections after i was finished.

I was after an every day look and as i love braids and buns this certainly fits the bill ...and my hair is off my face which i like

Length
    ?/35/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

a. You're braiding the hairs too far up. pull them down closer to your ears. You're also braiding looser than they are, you want to keep medium tension on the strands, and cross them over as far up the strand as possible for a tight, neat braid. it's all about keeping even tension.

Anne's braids are also not french/dutch braids. That looks to me like a windowshade (lace) braid.