Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White dots keep appearing by the dozens every month???? Help!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    23.5/23.5/33
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default White dots keep appearing by the dozens every month???? Help!!!

Hello there everyone

so a couple of months ago, I started taking better care of my hair and my health by starting weight watchers and trying to grow my hair out long and healthy. I bought a pair of ice tempered scissors and deep conditioners and have been washing my hair every 2-3 days in lukewarm water and rinsing in cold water. Last month I cut out all of my white dots and splits I had in my ends.

Recently i I have gotten a job at a restaurant called chipotle. The requirements for hair is up in a bun or in a braid. Since I have a hat I have to wear with it, I have been pulling my hair up in the safe style of a Cinnabun, with a thick band. The hair isn't ripping out when I proceed to take out the bun after work so I don't know if the bun is the issue here.

today I waned to check up on my hair and to my surprise, my hair had dozens upon dozens of white dots! I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my hair!

should I use hair sticks instead of the band with the cinnabun?

my products I use in my hair are mane n tail shampoo and conditioner that is moisturizing, and I use an argan hair mask for an hour the day I wash my hair (2-3) days.

would a braid be better and that is what is causing my white dots again?

Default Re: White dots keep appearing by the dozens every month???? Help!!!

Maybe the hat is the problem? I have heard that things like bicycle helmets can cause friction and breakage on the hair, so maybe your hat is doing the same thing?

Currently at hip ~ Trimming out layers and damage ~ Growing until my braid tassle tickles my pony's back when riding.

Length
    23.5/23.5/33
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlMonster View Post
    Maybe the hat is the problem? I have heard that things like bicycle helmets can cause friction and breakage on the hair, so maybe your hat is doing the same thing?
    It could very well be my hat.
    I have white dots on top of my hair now and they weren't there before.
    The problem is that I can't opt out of wearing the hat at my work. It's protocol to wear it and I dot know of any way to orotect it from the harsh fabric.
    Are there silk hats for that?

Length
    18/28.5/32
    Type
    2a/M/iii

That's normal if you're only just recently starting to take care of your hair. You didn't specify what your routine was like before you made the change, but heat damage, chemical damage, and mechanical damage are all permanent. If your hair is damaged, it's going to stay damaged until it's all cut off.
    2a/M/iii
    CL: MBL, GL: Waist

Length
    23.5/23.5/33
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by minxe View Post
    That's normal if you're only just recently starting to take care of your hair. You didn't specify what your routine was like before you made the change, but heat damage, chemical damage, and mechanical damage are all permanent. If your hair is damaged, it's going to stay damaged until it's all cut off.
    I had a lot of damage prior to my hair journey. I would straighten my hair almost every day, wash my hair in hot hot water, wash it everyday and towel turban it.
    8 took horrible care of my hair.

I recently havent vent used any heat tools, no towel turban, I wish my hair with it down my back so it's not toppled onto my head. I really am taking good care of my hair.

I made sure to cut off all my splits and as many white dots as I could find. My hair is in short layers so it's impossible to trim it efficiently without my hair being to my ears!

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by minxe View Post
    I agree with minxe. My hair was waist length before I learned to take care of it, which means I spent the first three + years of my long hair journey trimming off damage and not gaining much growth. It sucked, but it was worth it in the end. No matter how gently you treat it, the old damage will keep manifesting itself until it's cut off.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Various possible issues
    - old damage that simply needs cutting or growing out
    - the hat (silk or satin lining or band, silk or satin bun cover)
    - the band/ repetitive style (could try silk or satin scrunches, vary your styles, use Spin Pins)
    - protein overload making hair brittle (Mane'n'Tail is more strengthening than 'moisturising' as such)
    - a combination.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...1_archive.html
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0...s-with-my.html
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I'm not sure, but it might be the Mane 'N Tail. Is your hair dry? Mane 'N Tail is known for having lots of protein, which can be drying. If your hair isn't dry though, it's probably fine. It might just be the fact that your hair is still damaged from your previous habits, and the damage will have to be cut off.

Length
    14/14.5/25
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Have you recently stopped using silicones? Silicones mask damage
    Grew from apl to waist, now starting back over!
    Lady Ariadne of Wales, enemy of the English crown in the order of the LHK!
    Ear length- Chin length-SL- APL-BSL-WAIST

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

If you just recently stopped straightening it, then unfortunately your hair is still damaged from the heat. The only way to get rid of that damage is to grow it out. You can be as gentle as possible in the meantime, to minimize breakage and so forth. I would actually find a sulfate-free shampoo. Mane & Tail is pretty harsh. Dilute your shampoo, and use a good conditioner (maybe leave some in, too). Since you're in Vegas, you should also check ingredients because humectants (glycerine, propylene glycol, etc.) aren't good in a desert environment--they pull water from the air, but if there's no water in the air it gets pulled from your hair.