Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best brushes and combs?

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Best brushes and combs?

What specific brushes and combs do you girls recommend?
    Right now I'm using a plastic wide toothed comb and a Conair BBB, but I dunno how much I really like either.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Best brushes and combs?

I use a wooden body shop comb, but have just won a horn comb on eBay, it hasn't come yet so can't comment on that and I also use a mason Pearson extra large BBB which i love, always make sure to detangled with a comb first before using one.

Nothing makes my hair shine like a BBB and I've. Had increased monthly growth with it too.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    2b/M/iii

The best brush is a pure boar bristle brush, which is the closest thing in nature to human hair.

Not all bbbs are the same, however. Some bbbs have stiffer, longer, thicker bristles than others. Many are too soft and only suitable for babies.

Brushing daily with a pure bbb has several benefits:

1) removes lint and stuff on your hair
    2) exercises the hair follicles
    3) over time, leaves your hair soft and shiny

A good bbb doesn't need to cost a mint either!

I've been using a Goody bbb for over 40 years, with great results. Alas, they don't make my model any longer.

If you're in the market for a bbb, be sure to test the bristles with your fingers to see how you like (or not) the stiffness of the bristles (which will lessen with time).

And always keep in mind, detangle with a wide tooth comb before using your brush! A brush, of any kind, is NOT a detangler!

Length
    -/24/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I used to use a plastic wide tooth comb but now use a body shop wooden wide tooth comb which is so much better. I have found a lovely wide tooth horn comb on etsy I am going to buy as I'm really keen to give that a go. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of bbbrush? Id love to start using one to get the shine up on my hair. My Mum told me that her great Aunt who had incredible hip length auburn hair used to tie a silk scarf round her bbb and use that to make her hair smooth and glossy!

Length
    23/26,5/34
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm using a Tangle Teezer and I love it. Sildes through my hair like it is already brushed.

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I love my Kent Woodyhog on detangled hair. Wooden, no static, spreads oils nicely, no harmful ball ends, and gives a really nice scalp massage, snuggles perfectly into my hand.
    http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=8

Length
    16/37/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

The comb that I use most of the time and love is by Goody. Its a wide tooth "ouchless" comb and is seamless. The teeth are bendable hence the "ouchless" name.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I LOVE my Mason Pearson, and also use a Body Shop wooden comb, but when my hair is nightmare tangled nothing beats the Tangle Teezer.

Length
    27/32/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think the best comb and brush really depends on your hair.

Personally, I just use my mixed Mason Pearson, no combs or anything else. Through trial and error, I've found this to be the best for my hair and my personality. True, a fine toothed comb (wide toothed combs just can't deal with the small knots of my hair) might be gentler, if used properly. But I have a tendency to detangle in the morning and night, when I really just want to be trough with it. So...a comb is not ideal for me. A brush is, because of user error when it comes to combs.

So that is also something to consider. You might have the best comb and brush combination in the world, but if they don't fit your way of taking care of your hair they will do you no good.

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have a selection of combs, but my favorites are a couple of combs like these. I have two - one wide-tooth comb, and one with narrower teeth. They are excellent. I also have a couple of Kent seamless plastic combs, and several made from steer horn or wood. I don't like the wooden combs so well, though.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights