Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with crazy hair idea!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Help with crazy hair idea!

How much of your liking for that picture is the color, and how much is the cut?

A podcaster I'm fond of tends to dye her hair unnatural colors like so, and has a similar curl level to yours. The look is radically different from the cut you show, but she maintains a cute bob, so... (she's mentioned that she may be going to something other than pink, which is probably why there is so much root regrowth in that picture) Like a lot of folks who maintain radically unnatural colors, she does her dye at home. Many salons won't dye unnatural colors... some do, but it's definitely not something manageable at every salon. She's mentioned often that maintaining a cut that suits her curls is a lot more important to her than having the salon maintain her strange tastes in hair color.

I'd think long and hard about the look you want for yourself. With curly hair, your inspiration picture is pretty unrealistic. The color may be fantastic on you, but I'd hate for you to get the color you want and then find that you feel like you have to straighten your hair for it to look good.

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    How much of your liking for that picture is the color, and how much is the cut?

A podcaster I'm fond of tends to dye her hair unnatural colors like so, and has a similar curl level to yours. The look is radically different from the cut you show, but she maintains a cute bob, so... (she's mentioned that she may be going to something other than pink, which is probably why there is so much root regrowth in that picture) Like a lot of folks who maintain radically unnatural colors, she does her dye at home. Many salons won't dye unnatural colors... some do, but it's definitely not something manageable at every salon. She's mentioned often that maintaining a cut that suits her curls is a lot more important to her than having the salon maintain her strange tastes in hair color.

I'd think long and hard about the look you want for yourself. With curly hair, your inspiration picture is pretty unrealistic. The color may be fantastic on you, but I'd hate for you to get the color you want and then find that you feel like you have to straighten your hair for it to look good.
    It's not the girls's haircut I'm after it's simply a colour example. Cause I know I have curly hair and I won't touch a flat-iron for the world! It's simplt the colour I adore so much. I've had orange streaks before in my bangs and they left no damage at all.
    As for her hair, yes it's pretty similair and it looks great which is a good sign!
    I've actualy had that same colour for 2 month's in 2010 which was really nice cause you don't need to bleach to get to that colour.
    As for the only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll do so much damage to those streaks I'll have to cut it again into the pixie cut.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

That's great!

I think if you can stand to grow out virgin enough to get the bob of your dreams, and *then* start on the process for your wild color job, it'll be easier to end up with a maintainable look. The more you know about how your natural color behaves, the easier it will be to choose the right level of bleach to get your desired look. And it can be tricky to find a stylist who is fantastic at cutting your natural curls, so that's a real priority.

The podcaster has been pink-haired since at least 2007. She rarely goes for hair longer than shoulder length while curly, and she tends to stick with a routine that's pretty much along the lines of Curly Girl or Naturally Curly. Worked fine for her in a fairly vanilla office job too.

Since it sounds like you adore wild hair color, I'd definitely take her on as a role model. Do it right, and you've got a lifetime of sea green hair ahead.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Green hair would be awesome.
    What I suggest:
    - lighten your henna with sun in: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!
    - lighten your henna with Blonder from John Frieda: Have you tried John Freida?
    - protect your hair from peroxide damage with an overnight coconut oiling and by using the peroxide on your still oiled hair: The uses of coconut oil
    - use Manic Panic to get the green you want

You can do this with minimal damage. I hope it all works out for you!

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Roscata View Post
    Green hair would be awesome.
    What I suggest:
    - lighten your henna with sun in: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!
    - lighten your henna with Blonder from John Frieda: Have you tried John Freida?
    - protect your hair from peroxide damage with an overnight coconut oiling and by using the peroxide on your still oiled hair: The uses of coconut oil
    - use Manic Panic to get the green you want

You can do this with minimal damage. I hope it all works out for you!
    I was thinking about the John Frieda too, maybe it's worth the try. As for Sun-in..I live in the Netherlands and i can't order from the net so that'll be tricky to get, do you maybe know the ingredients ? Coconut oil= perfect, it's amazing what that oil can do! thanks for the tips !

I will say that I tried to bleach my henna a couple years back, and it came out light orange, not bleach blond, no matter how many times I redid it. I did, however, get in light enough to put a nice shade of blue Manic Panic over it & have it not go purple instead. So if you are going to be using the green over your bleach job, you don't necessarily have to worry so much about getting it to white-blond levels. Just light enough to not show up under the other color.

I will also say that I trashed my hair on the aforementioned bleach-then-blue project. I cut it all off soon after because it was never the same. But it sounds like you've had better luck with bleach than me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use sun-in over chemical dyes, as the above poster suggests. I don't have much info on this myself, but definitely be really really careful & read up on it if you try to go that route.

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ifthemoonsmiled View Post
    I will say that I tried to bleach my henna a couple years back, and it came out light orange, not bleach blond, no matter how many times I redid it. I did, however, get in light enough to put a nice shade of blue Manic Panic over it & have it not go purple instead. So if you are going to be using the green over your bleach job, you don't necessarily have to worry so much about getting it to white-blond levels. Just light enough to not show up under the other color.

I will also say that I trashed my hair on the aforementioned bleach-then-blue project. I cut it all off soon after because it was never the same. But it sounds like you've had better luck with bleach than me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use sun-in over chemical dyes, as the above poster suggests. I don't have much info on this myself, but definitely be really really careful & read up on it if you try to go that route.
    Well if I'm sure about bleaching I can always wait a while so it will turn lighter in the sun and from swimming in the sea. So I'm not too scared when I'm hearing about the orange, orange is a fine colour anyways
    As about was it worth the dye and the cut a few years ago, were you happy that you did it or was it a lesson learned?
    I'll always be carefull, haha, I've made enough mistakes and not waiting here to make another

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kumiko033 View Post
    Well if I'm sure about bleaching I can always wait a while so it will turn lighter in the sun and from swimming in the sea. So I'm not too scared when I'm hearing about the orange, orange is a fine colour anyways
    Just have to say as a fellow Dutch person, you can definitely rock the orange when *any international sports event here* starts

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kumiko033 View Post
    I was thinking about the John Frieda too, maybe it's worth the try. As for Sun-in..I live in the Netherlands and i can't order from the net so that'll be tricky to get, do you maybe know the ingredients ? Coconut oil= perfect, it's amazing what that oil can do! thanks for the tips !
    No problem, I'm glad I could help.

According to this listing the ingredients for Sun-in are:
    Ingredients
    Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Lemon Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Matricaria), Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract (linseed), Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone, PEG 7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium 80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acid, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chetanlaiho View Post
    Just have to say as a fellow Dutch person, you can definitely rock the orange when *any international sports event here* starts
    Haha, done that before !