Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else use a flat iron?

Length
    Pob/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Anyone else use a flat iron?

I love my flat iron. I absolutely love my hair when its straightened. I have loose waves naturally, but I usually style it. I blow dry and flat iron my hair around two times a week. I also dye my hair, but I use a gentler professional dye. My hair is in excellent condition and I always get compliments from my stylist (though I only go in for a trim two or three times a year). Right now I'm at 21" and probably won't go much longer. I know a lot of people on here swear off heat, but I really think it depends on the tools. I have used cheap tools in the past and they were horrible for my hair. I only use professional tools now and my hair looks great. I love Chi and I have a flat iron and blow dryer made by them. Does anyone else flat iron? Is your hair in good condition? I honestly think you can use heat and still have amazing hair if you use the right tools!

Length
    ~21/31/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone else use a flat iron?

I think you can too and it's about moderation and taking care of it unfortunately I abused my hair so much in the past with bleach and dyeing all the time and straightening every day without a protectant.. that I'm waiting til my hair is healthier to straighten it fully even once.. though I curled it lightly the other day for a birthday and damn did my hair feel and look great haha

If you don't love your hair and can't do what you want, then whats the point of having long hair if it's only a burden, right?
    | CBL | SL | BSL | MBL | WL+ | HL |

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My hair couldn't stand up to it. I can tell the difference with just one flat-ironing by my stylist, who has the best tools and is very fast. I do love that sleek smoothness of straightening, though. Sigh ......... I wish I could do it more than once every year or two.

It also depends on how fine your hair is and how long your length goal is. I got almost to waist length before my ends were so trashed, they had to be cut back (1-2 times per month flat ironing with a CHI; usually my daughter did it for me).

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I wish I could still use mine, my hair just can't handle it, but I am also growing out damage. I agree though that it's your hair and don't feel like you're committing the "unforgiveable sin" by straightening it. You know your body and your hair. I wouldn't do it daily but if you don't see your hair being damaged by it, then do what makes you happy! You have to live with the hair on your head, not anyone else! I will second the thought of "Why bother having it if YOU can't have fun with YOUR hair."

I envy your sturdy hair for sure Mine looks great straightened but my poor ends cuss me. 3 and a halfish months no heat and my hair looks better and feels better than it has in years. Everyone is different
    *Chin* - *Shoulder* - *APL* - *BSL* - *Waist*

Length
    17"/35"/50"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I do straighten for occasions and such. I never see any terrible results from it. I straightened my hair every day for years, and still never saw too much damage from it. All my damage came from bleaching the living daylights out of mine.
    I will probably still straighten for occasions, even though I haven't even reached my goal yet.
    As long as you enjoy your hair, it's fine. It's most important for you to be happy with it.

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I've never really been able to use them, they really dry my hair out. But my hair is also on the fine side so that might have something to do with it

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I use a flat iron! Not every day, but about once a month I like to wear my hair straight. I like to be able to enjoy the length. My hair is still in very good condition.
    Every day is Thursday.

Length
    5/19/35
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I agree, you can do what you want with your hair. It does depend on hair type, some gals can straighten daily & beach their hair & still get it long, unfortunately not me.

I have straightened my hair for special occasions since joining LHC. But I tend to find with my colour damaged ends that it just frizzles & its not worth it. I prefer a blow dry on low anyways, I use an ionic Parlux & it makes my hair soft & silky, but with volume that I don't get with the irons. I hope that one day my hair will be long & healthy enough to be able to straighten every few months.
    "Now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind thats running wild..." www.cafepress.com/Littlewingsdesigns

Length
    Pob/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I fried my hair in middle school. I take really good care of it now though. I barely have any damage at the ends. I don't know how well it would hold up if it was classic length though... Its beautiful to see hair that long, but I don't have the patience for it! I don't think I could style it myself either if it was that long.

Length
    11"/26"/???

I just got my hair flat ironed today for a mid-year length check thingy.

My flat iron routine is very involved and I take every precaution known to man b/c I'm paranoid about heat damage. Consequently, I only flat iron maybe once or twice a year...3 if I'm bad.