Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Argan Oil Penetrate hair.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Does Argan Oil Penetrate hair.

Quote Originally Posted by littlenvy View Post
    ^ This.
    Coconut oil is the only one proven to penetrate. The rest of the oils either coat the hair or draw moisture into the hair shaft but don't penetrate the outer layer. At least that's what one of the medical articles said ... somewhere on here.
    Here is the most often quoted article but they only compared coconut oil, mineral oil, and sunflower oil http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2...175-p00192.pdf

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ange1ito View Post
    I saw that too, i wonder if it was one of Ktani's analysis now. All the Argan oils I have seen contain cone's so i would assume they would be coating the hair
    What you are looking at are argan oil hair treatments. The pure argan oil is a light, penetrating oil.

Length
    17/23/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I used Josie Maran's argan oil and really liked it. I don't think it penetrated the hair, but it did do a good job conditioning and I also loved using it on my face (just a couple drops). It was super expensive (although it lasted a while) so last week I decided to buy Organix argan oil shampoo - big mistake. It has none of the benefits of argan oil - lesson learned. Stick with the all natural stuff! Next time I feel reckless enough to splurge at the mall , I will go to Sephora and pick up another Josie Maran bottle.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Have no idea... It's amazing though... Love the stuff. My hair sucks it up, and I have to ay its my favorite oil because of it...
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    ~24"/30"/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Straight chain glycerides are oils that penetrate:

(snip)

Argan oil is also a Straight chain glyceride oil, therefore it has similar properties to coconut oil, therefore suggesting it penetrates the hair shaft.

That was what I was coming here to say, thanks jojo!

Length
    SL/LB/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbon View Post
    I used Josie Maran's argan oil and really liked it. I don't think it penetrated the hair, but it did do a good job conditioning and I also loved using it on my face (just a couple drops). It was super expensive (although it lasted a while) so last week I decided to buy Organix argan oil shampoo - big mistake. It has none of the benefits of argan oil - lesson learned. Stick with the all natural stuff! Next time I feel reckless enough to splurge at the mall , I will go to Sephora and pick up another Josie Maran bottle.
    Huh, go figure, my hair is at it's all- time adult best because of the Organix line...Aryan oil being my new favorite, lol. If I like that, then I'll bet the Josie Maran stuff is even better!
    Lady Ka'ahu Pahau, Island Guardian in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Act, don't react.

Length
    17/23/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Organix wasn't bad for me - just not as good as pure Argan oil! I really like the coconut Organix best - the Argan one for me was just ok. It seemed to dry out my ends - which is weird since pure Argan oil certainly has the opposite effect - maybe it was because of the alcohol? I really don't know. Anyhow, if you like Organix argan oil, I think the pure stuff would be awesome for you!

Length
    12/29.5/31
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm glad to find this thread! I'm having a lot of trouble with my dry ends and was thinking of trying the Argan oil I just bought. Hopefully it will help me avoid a big chop.
    Avatar picture taken on the 1st May 2012, length=17".

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I wrote a post about the penetration of oils. Click the "oils" link in my siggy.

Here's the only study I know of that looks at argan oil on hair, but it is only a review, not an actual study: Monfalouti HE, Guillaume D, Denhez C, Charrouf Z. "Therapeutic potential of argan oil: a review." J Pharm Pharmacol. 2010 Dec;62(12):1669-75
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes