Yes, this is going to be a sensitive subject, but it's been bothering me for a while and I haven't known what (if anything) I could do about it.

What can/should/may we do when we know that another member is lying in posts?

Now, that can get iffy, as many things can't be proven. For example, if I post in a thread that I have two cats, and another member comes to my house and doesn't see them, she may assume that I'm lying (though the cats were asleep in the bedroom at the time). She thinks I'm a big fat liar, but can't prove it. Obviously, nothing can or should be done. There's just no proof of lying, even if someone thinks I am.

A step further-- Some posts may sound a little weird or farfetched to others, whether or not they are true. Like... If you posted recently about your trip to Tibet, then yesterday about how you just got back from the jeweler with three handfuls of new diamonds, and today about how you simply must get your DeLorean tuned up on your way to teaching Women's Studies at the local junior college, where you are incidentally also the counselor AND the janitor, when you're not out fighting crime... Okay. Maybe this really IS an exceptionally exceptional person. I doubt it very much, but no matter how annoying I find it, I still can't really prove anything.

Here's what I actually AM referring to:

What if there IS proof?

If some of my posts from a couple of years ago referred sometimes to my DH, husband, spouse, whatever... and lately I've started making despairing posts about how I've never been in love, never had a boyfriend, never even a date... Okay. You don't know which one is the lie, but you know I'm a liar. How annoying, right?

Or if I've always said that I attended a certain school, but then one day said something that made it clear that I'd never set foot there?

I'm tired of trying to make stuff up... You get me.

What if someone posts things that are mutually exclusive? What if it's a pretty common habit with them? It's annoying, yeah, but can anything be done?

It's the KNIT thing. I've often wanted to call someone out in the thread itself, but figured that it'd be considered contrary to either the "Kind" or "Necessary" thing. It would indeed be quite "Informative" and "True"... However, I also don't think it's very "Kind" of members who are breaking the "True" part by blatantly lying. I also don't appreciate people who insult others' intelligence by thinking that no one notices these dicrepancies. Trust me-- I notice. I've just been being nice.

So... What to do? Sit powerless and do nothing? Report it and never know if anything ever happened? Speak up and risk getting whacked yourself?

It's just getting very frustrating, that's all. No one likes being lied to. I'm tired of biting my tongue to be "Kind" to people who aren't being "True" to me.