Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about "egg shampoo"...

Length
    pixie/MBL/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Talk to me about "egg shampoo"...

... or point me to threads that do . I tried searching but can't find much even though I feel that there should be information somewhere...

Anyway, I've been trying to transition to WO for about 5 months now and was in such a rut this morning that I simply cracked an egg, took the yolk, mixed it with one tablespoon of vinegar, put it on for thirty minutes, rinsed and my hair has not been as perfect in a long, long time...

That said, my hair has been, well, less than perfect for the past months to put it mildly, so maybe I'm just excited about having clean hair - haha - but now I'm wondering

* what would be a "proper" recipe? (I just did this because I dimly remembered from somewhere deep in the back of my brain that you only should use the yolk and vinegar seemed a good addition)

* is it really just the yolk that should be used?

* how often can this be done? What could be the pitfalls? Like could I do this once a week?

* Does anybody do this on a regular basis? maybe in combination with other washing methods?

Any pointers are very welcome

Default Re: Talk to me about "egg shampoo"...

All I know is that some people do this often, there is no risk I think. In some French forums, it's the most used washing method.
    People who's hair do not like protein should not do it, since egg has both proteins and lipids
    Always rinse with COLD water, and A LOT, because the egg yolk can cook and be solid and make a mess if warm water is used...

Have fun experimenting and tell us how it goes (:

Length
    pixie/MBL/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hi Maktub, could you point me to some threads on the French forum? I speak French but don't frequent any French forum . I do read the Dutch forum occasionally and I find it quite interesting how there is sometimes a very different focus in the different countries on how things are done or what people are doing. While there is quite some activity in the WO thread here for instance, on the Dutch forum the mere thought seems to gross out people . Thanks!!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I used to do this quite often years ago. I simply used the whole egg and a teaspoon of some oil, because otherwise it would have been too drying for my hair. Sometimes I even added a bit of yoghurt and/or honey. I left the mixture on about 20 minutes, often longer, and then rinsed with lukewarm water. That's it.

Length
    24/30/~
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Maktub View Post
    Always rinse with COLD water, and A LOT, because the egg yolk can cook and be solid and make a mess if warm water is used...
    Where does this come from? Egg yolk solidifies at 68 degrees Celcius, egg white at 63 degrees celcius. A scorching hot shower is somewhere around 50 degrees Celcius.

The part I can think of that 'solidifies' is the stringy bit that binds the egg with the shell.. which is better to take out for that reason.

I've never had an egg solidify in my hair in a hot shower.
    I found 1 coarse hair on my head!

Length
    pixie/MBL/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gulbahar View Post
    I used to do this quite often years ago. I simply used the whole egg and a teaspoon of some oil, because otherwise it would have been too drying for my hair. Sometimes I even added a bit of yoghurt and/or honey. I left the mixture on about 20 minutes, often longer, and then rinsed with lukewarm water. That's it.
    Was there a particular reason why you stopped doing it? Did you use it exclusively or did you mix with other cleaning methods? And how frequently did you have to wash your hair?

Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

I had eggs in my hair once, and started to rinse with hot water when I thought the eggs were gone. Hehe, I was wrong xP
    Last edited by Sweet Beat; October 31st, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mirsha View Post
    Where does this come from? Egg yolk solidifies at 68 degrees Celcius, egg white at 63 degrees celcius. A scorching hot shower is somewhere around 50 degrees Celcius
    I don't HOW it works but believe me - I had scrambled egg hair more than once in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
    Was there a particular reason why you stopped doing it? Did you use it exclusively or did you mix with other cleaning methods? And how frequently did you have to wash your hair?
    No particular reason. I love experimenting with different washing methods and might even go back to eggs again. I liked the results. But then I started to make my own soaps and did that for a while. Now it's a mix of Indian herbs and CO/SMT.
    May be one reason for me to stop the egg routine was that I started working as a tourist guide a few years ago. It's definitely more comfortable to take a bar soap on a trip than finding an egg when it's washing day. Ah yes, I have to wash about once a week with all of the natural methods I've tried so far, sometimes even less often.

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I believe if you mix some type of acid, such as vinegar, the eggs won't cook in warm water. I don't think I was ever brave enough to try it in very warm water when I did it, though.

I'll see if I can find the recipe that I used a long time ago.....
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    SL/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

I mixed a whole egg with some oil and blended it, my hair felt very clean but dry so I only did this 1x.