Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Awkward hair questions: "How long have you been growing your hair?"

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Awkward hair questions: "How long have you been growing your hair?"

LostSoule77 you aren't alone - I had the same thought. I also tend to get caught up in the idea of growing your hair as if it's a deliberate activity. "Want to go to a movie tonight?" "Can't - I have to grow my hair!" LOL

I tend to answer this by saying something like, "Well, I haven't done a major cut for about two years now." They tend to focus on the "two years" part and are happy and I feel like I've said something that sort of makes sense.
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."

Type
    1a/F/i

I just say that I've always had long hair, of varying length of course. Except when my dad tricked me into cutting it real short when I was five, and to just below my ears when I was in fifth grade. That wasn't my dad's work though

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Maybe I'm a bit of a smart a**, but I'm pretty sure that my hair has been growing since before I was even born, regardless of whether or not I had a hair cut.

Ha, Ha. Hopefully everyone will see the humor in this.

Length
    apl/hip/bcl
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'd answer "two years" because it is two years since I decided to grow my hair long and I stopped cut it (I only had a couple of microtrims)
    apl - bsl - midback - waist - hip - bcl

I always just say something along the lines of "I had it cut to my shoulders when I was four and a half, then I had it trimmed sporadically growing up, and I have been maintaining at ankle length since the early part of 2009." I have been asked soo many times, the answer is quite rehearsed. I think that is part of why I don't really like giving a response like "my whole life" because it just adds time to the conversation and a lot of the times I get asked I am in the middle of something (studying, shopping, going somewhere, etc.)
    ~Carrie Ingalls
    Most recent trim 5-11-2013, 8" (back to mid calf), pictures updated 10-10-2011. My sis Grace Ingalls trimmed 11.25" (her first ever haircut) to ankle at the end of March 2012.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I once asked my long haired SIL the same question, and she said "all my life; how about you?" I thought that meant that she had never cut it, but she meant that she'd had hair all her life.

I haven't been asked that question, but I'd say about 10 years.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Given that my hair is at terminal, it has been longer since my last haircut than the age of the longest/oldest hairs. Usually I say something like..."A very long time, but this is as long as it gets, about 7 years of growth."

For shorter lengths, something like "Two years from waist length" might work.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    16"/20"/BSL ?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

For as long as I can remember, it's been back & forth from 24"(?) to short pixie! I've finally decided to get off the "roller coaster" once & for all.

Length
    34 tb/44 mt/50 kn
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I get that question all of the time. I just say: "I haven't had a big cut since middle school."

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

"Oh, years and years" usually satisfies people. Mostly they're not actually interested how many years, but just want to know that it's an endeavor that takes longer than they would have patience for.

The actual answer is that my hair has been long my whole adult life.
    Last edited by Beatnik Guy; November 25th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)