Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there Ketylo 'look alikes' that cost less?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    20"/23"/52"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default Are there Ketylo 'look alikes' that cost less?

I want a pair of ketylo sticks eventually but i cant afford them right now. I was going to get some supplies and make my own. But im wondering first if there are any other companies/websites that sell simlar hair sticks. I just want sticks with the swirls in them, to hold my hair better. Do you guys know where i can get something like that cheap? I've got so many sewing projects going i dont wana mess with making my own YET, i will eventually, but for now i'd like to just get a pair thats under $15. if thats possible LOL

Length
    26-28/waist/term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Are there Ketylo 'look alikes' that cost less?

I'm not aware of any look alikes but just wanted to mention that many people can hold their hair with just one Ketylo. They are excellent quality. Perhaps you could get just one and then save up for a pair if you really want two. If you can get by with just one then you can take your saved money and get another color.

Secwet Wannabee Wavee Juliet's Silk's Avatar
    Length
    20/35/thick
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mamachanse View Post
    I'm not aware of any look alikes but just wanted to mention that many people can hold their hair with just one Ketylo. They are excellent quality. Perhaps you could get just one and then save up for a pair if you really want two. If you can get by with just one then you can take your saved money and get another color.
    Good suggestion.
    The shape of the Ketylo doesn't matter as much as the superb craftsmanship. They are perfectly smooth to the touch and just awesome. For that, I actually think that ~$8-10 for one is rather cheap in comparison to other hairsticks! I doubt that you can get comparable quality for less than that.
    Get a single one, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. They are so worth the money.

LHC meet Sept. 2006
    Quo vadis?

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Casting another vote for a single hairstick. I can't imagine but that you'll be very happy with it, and ready to save for another stick. And sometimes, Kevin has a "buy three, get one free" offer. The price seems pretty reasonable for the quality craftsmanship.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I agree with the people who say to get just one stick. It's totally worth it, and as far as I know, no one makes corkscrew sticks any cheaper.

If you really want a pair, get one, then later place an order for another one of the same type of wood. Voila, a pair of sticks.

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

glad you asked that--was wondering the same thing!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

When you sit down and consider the cost of materials, then the cutting, shaping, sanding and finishing that goes into just one stick, the price then seems pretty dang reasonable.

It's easy to think, "Oh, I can get a pair of sticks at Claire's for $5, what gives?" but those are more or less likely mass-produced in a less industrialized nation in crappy working conditions. Something like ketylos is hand-made by someone one at a time. IMHO supporting individual artisans is worth the higher cost

Henndigo Conehead! mugglemomof3's Avatar
    Length
    19/27"/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

OMG - I used to think like you do, and then I got one Ketylo in a swap. One is all I need, and I can't even get two of some other styles/brands to work sometimes.

One Ketylo is worth $500. Seriously. Just save up and get one - you will not be disappointed.
    Lady Alohomora of the Unfettered Sojurn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Do realize though that when you have very slippery hair, the ketylo might not work. I have one, it needs a scroo to support things

Type
    1b/F/ii

But eadwine, your hair is pretty short as well compared to the thread starter's hair! I also have slippery hair but with tailbone length hair it's not such a huge problem anymore, since I can wrap my hair in a totally different way these days.