Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy really cheap hairsticks?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    20"/23"/52"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default Where to buy really cheap hairsticks?

Ok, the plan is, when i have enough money, im going to get the SWEETEST pair of sticks from Ketylo
    http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/Detail?no=50

But thats almost $30 w/ shipping and i literally have $10 to spend now. So for now, i just wanted to get a cheap pair to practice with (because i've never used hair sticks before), so i figure why not get a super cheap pair and get some practice in since it'll be a while till i can get the good ones. Other than Ebay, do you guys know of any places that sell them super cheap? I dont need anything fancy for now. Just something to keep my hands occupied until i can get the good stuff LOL

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Where to buy really cheap hairsticks?

Go to a yarn shop or crafting store and get some double-pointed knitting needles. You can get either bamboo or metal. They typically run under $10 for a pack of 5.

ETA: I use Clover size 9 bamboos usually and they are quite strong!

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

If you have an Asian store of some kind in your area, you can probably find some smooth chopsticks for a few dollars a pack. A good, strong wooden pencil does the trick also.

My first "real" hairsticks were from VK Designs (I'm wearing one right now, actually). Most sticks there are $5-$6 each.

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

You can get some really cheap ones at Fire Mountain Gems also, but the wooden ones I bought broke very easily (I can only use them very gently for certain kinds of buns), so buyer beware.

Length
    20"/23"/52"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i

Well, i found a pair of black bone sticks that are spiral ones, only $6 with shipping on ebay, BUT they are only 4 1/2" long.

Is 4 1/2" long enough? I was planning on 6" because i heard that was pretty standard, but i wonder if the 4.5 would be long enough to work?

Length
    20"/23"/52"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i

And another question, i saw these, and theyre resin, so i know theyre pretty NOT sturdy in any way i bet, but i love skull stuff
    http://www.darknessdescends.com/makings2.html

Do you think those are even worth $12.50 (with shipping).

Im wondering if they'd even stay in my hair, probably not.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmy67cuda View Post
    Well, i found a pair of black bone sticks that are spiral ones, only $6 with shipping on ebay, BUT they are only 4 1/2" long.

Is 4 1/2" long enough? I was planning on 6" because i heard that was pretty standard, but i wonder if the 4.5 would be long enough to work?
    Your hair type is pretty close to mine, as is your length. If I do a VERY compact bun I can use a 4.5in stick, but the whole thing is buried inside the bun. I can pull this off with w Figure 8, but without a topper I need to pin the top loop so it doesn't flop. With a topper that seems to keep that top loop in place.

I woudn't recommend anything shorter than 5in, honestly. 5.5in is about my ideal usable length.

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I would say that the 4.5" sticks are too short, too. I can use a 4.5" stick, but my hair is only a bit more than half as long as yours, and a similar type. It would almost certainly be too short for most styles, and since you are just trying to learn, I would definitely not start with using a stick that's too short. It will just frustrate you, and make learning even harder.

I don't own any VK design sticks myself, but they are a great deal (I just haven't gotten around to it, plus I already own more sticks then I wear regularly). You can choose the length you want for the same price, which makes it even better!

Is there a reason that you want a pair of sticks to start? I own one pair of sticks (from Claire's) which I pretty much never wear. I only own singles (although I have some ketylos that can be worn as a "not quite matching" pair), and that works fine for me. It'd be much easier to find a stick under $10 with shipping, than 2 sticks under $10.

That said, you could also try Stix_by_Feather on ebay. I've seen her pairs go for under $10. Keep an eye on the functional length though-- I'd really recommend at least 5.5" based on nightshade's comment-- don't make learning impossible.

Oh, for reference, this is a 4.5" stick in my not-quite-APL hair:

And this is a five inch ketylo in my hair:

I'm being dumb, had to edit. You could also check out "Claire's" or "Icing" if there is a mall near you. Their sticks are on the long side (I would say 7 to 9 inches is pretty common, though they have a few 6 inchers), and not the best quality, but they are cheap. Most pairs will range between $4.50 and $7, and they almost always have a buy one get one half off sale going on, as well.
    I would recommend looking for a somewhat pointy wooden stick, versus plastic or wood with a really blunt tip, but that's up to you. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by chloeishere; July 2nd, 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    20/35/42
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I second Claire's and Icing, but be careful if you get the fork kind with the little metal flower petals on top. My hair gets tangled all in the petals without a bit of provocation. I had to cut one out last time I tried, so I won't be using those anymore . On stick length, I wouldn't go shorter than 5, 5.5 inches. 5.5 seems to be the perfect length for me, leaving most of the stick in the bun and no pointy end poking my neck relentlessly all day.

If you have a World Market near you, you can get some pretty chop sticks there for 2 to 4 dollars a pair. Be careful, though, some are very long and not smooth, so they don't work in hair all that well. One of my favorite sticks came from a package of chopsticks that I got there (I managed to lose the other one, sadly).

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Get a pack of "iron wood" (hardwood) chopsticks from Asian store (about 20 sticks for $2). Chop them to desired length, and sand the surface smooth. I love the ones I made that way. If you don't have good sandpaper, a couple coats of nail polish would do as well. Of course Asian stores usually have lacquered Japanese chopsticks that are perfectly smooth already, but they're more expensive and usually too long.

I also have some wooden sticks made with those cheap little wooden craft logs from craft stores. These require some paint or sealant. Sandpaper wouldn't do it as they're usually soft wood, it's very difficult to get them smooth enough. The plus side is you can carve them easily with a knife as they're so soft.