Page 201 of 221 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2203

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Yes, that's a good price. Go for it!

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Thanks for the answer, mellie! The soaptnuts are much cheaper than a special neurdodermatits shampoo and I've wanted to try them for a really long time, since I believe that using less chemicals is in everyone's interest.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    d.n.a/neck/mo'h.
    Type
    1b/M/i

Just writing to say the soapwort concotion I use as a shampoo alone seems to cure my smelly and sore scalp

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

That's great to hear!!

Length
    d.n.a/neck/mo'h.
    Type
    1b/M/i

Here’s another idea: perhaps buying saponin being sold at the chemical supplier could be an option for you . I found sth interesting here:
    http://www.bio-botanica.com/articles/Biosap.pdf - it’s a blend of saponins from various plants.

They mention herbs containing saponin:

Panax ginseng 2-3 %
    Hedera helix 5 %
    Aesculis hipocastanum 3 %
    Glycyrrhiza glabbra 8-12 %
    Primula spp. 5-10 %
    Saponaria officinalis 2-5 %
    Saponaria alba 20 %
    Smilax officinalis 1.8-2.4 %
    Polygala spp 8-10 %

Google says Polygala grows throughout US…

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Very interesting list! Thanks Tiare! Look there at Soapwort, Saponaria officinalis, it doesn't have much saponins at all. No wonder it wasn't cleaning so well for me!

I thought I recognized the word Glycyrrhiza...that's licorice!! Interesting!

Polygala is VERY interesting:
    http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/polygalamyrt.htm
    Polygala myrtifolia is one of the many plants known for its antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Tests run by the University of Natal at Pietermaritzburg have found that aqueous extracts of P. myrtifolia showed activity against Candida albicans (which causes oral candidiasis)
    Looks like it is endangered in this part of the US:
    http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=POLYG

Sounds like it is very high in saponins and therefore has the same abortive effects:
    http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Polygala+senega
    Abortifacient; Antidote; Cathartic; Diaphoretic; Diuretic; Emetic; Expectorant; Sialagogue; Stimulant.
    ...A tea made from the bark has been drunk in order to bring about a miscarriage[213]. The dried root is used as a stimulating expectorant - it is said to owe its medicinal value to the presence of saponins and in large doses is poisonous[213].
    More:
    http://permaculture.info/index.php/Polygala_senega
    The plant is the source of a poisonous irritant drug (33,66). Overdoses have caused violent vomiting and nausea (22). There are reports of similar species that have been suspected in poisoning horses (33).
    So it quite poisonous like Soapwort!

Seems like it is hard to get the root. It's usually available as a tincture:

The root is dried and prepared in a tincture or decoction. Dried root dose .5 to 1 gram or by infusion, liquid extract 1:1 in 60% ethanol dose .3 to 1 ml, both given in t.i.d. doses (84). The root is collected in the fall.
    Last edited by mellie; November 21st, 2009 at 06:21 AM.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Here's some more info on Licorice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice
    Liquorice is also a mild laxative and may be used as a topical antiviral agent for shingles, ophthalmic, oral or genital herpes.

Excessive consumption of liquorice or liquorice candy is known to be toxic to the liver[20] and cardiovascular system, and may produce hypertension [21] and oedema.[22] There have been occasional cases where blood pressure has increased with excessive consumption of liquorice tea, but such occasions are rare and reversible when the herb is withdrawn.[23] Most cases of hypertension from liquorice were caused by eating too much concentrated liquorice candy.[24] Doses as low as 50 grams (2 oz) of liquorice daily for two weeks can cause a significant rise in blood pressure.[25]

Comparative studies of pregnant women suggest that liquorice can also adversely affect both IQ and behaviour traits of offspring.[2
    More:

http://www.stevenfoster.com/educatio.../licorice.html

In Texas, it is called amolillo, which refers to the foaming produced by stirring the root in water.

Glycyrrhizin has also shown estrogenic activity in laboratory animals, and is experimentally antiinflammatory, antirheumatic, and antibacterial.

About 20 percent of patients treated with licorice in the 1950s experienced side effects such as water retention, upper abdominal pain, headache, shortness of breath, and stiffness....Scientists have shown that licorice has an effect on the adrenals, helping to stimulate glucocorticoid production. In excess, this leads to the side effects now recognized for licorice.
    It does grow over most of the Western US:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=GLLE3

More on possible toxicity:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...-licorice.html

At high doses, there are potentially severe side effects, including hypertension (high blood pressure), hypokalemia (low blood potassium levels), and fluid retention...

Licorice contains a chemical called glycyrrhizic acid, which is responsible for many of the reported side effects. DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) has had the glycyrrhizic acid removed, and therefore is considered safer for use.

Many of the adverse effects of licorice result from actions on hormone levels in the body. By altering the activities of certain hormones, licorice may cause electrolyte disturbances. Possible effects include sodium and fluid retention, low potassium levels, and metabolic alkalosis.

Electrolyte abnormalities may also lead to irregular heartbeats, heart attack, kidney damage, muscle weakness, or muscle breakdown. Licorice should be used cautiously by people with congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease, kidney or liver disease, fluid retention (edema), high blood pressure, underlying electrolyte disturbances, hormonal abnormalities, or those taking diuretics.

Hormonal imbalances have been reported with the use of licorice, such as abnormally low testosterone levels in men or high prolactin levels and estrogen levels in women. However, study results conflict. These adverse effects may reduce fertility or cause menstrual abnormalities.

Reduced body fat mass has been observed with the use of licorice, but weight gain is also possible. Acute pseudo-aldosteronism syndrome has been associated with licorice. Paralysis has been reported in a patient taking licorice that contributed to low potassium levels. Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis (TPP) has been associated with licorice. Metabolic alkalosis and seizure has been reported from licorice in antacid.

Licorice has been reported to cause high blood pressure, including dangerously high blood pressure with symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, and hypertensive encephalopathy with stroke-like effects (for example, one-sided weakness).

High doses of licorice may cause temporary vision problems or loss. Ocular side effects have been reported. Central retinal vein occlusion has been associated with licorice. A case report exists of licorice-induced hypokalemia associated with dropped head syndrome (DHS).

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
    Licorice cannot be recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding due to possible alterations of hormone levels and the possibility of premature labor.

Hormonal imbalances reported with the use of licorice include abnormally low testosterone levels in men and high prolactin levels/estrogen levels in women. However, study results conflict. 17-OHP and LH levels may also be affected.
    Seems it is effective against dermatitis! (same link as above)
    Topical licorice extract gel has been shown to be effective in the treatment of atopic dermatitis in preliminary human study
    Last edited by mellie; November 21st, 2009 at 06:34 AM.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I really want to figure out how to use soapwort on a regular basis...I miss the beautiful body I had with soapnuts and soapwort, compared to the commercial shampoo, which makes my hair very shiny but rather flat.

I think I'm going to re-start my experiments with soapwort and see if I can find a way to keep the greasies away!

It seemed that I was getting such nice results with a 4:1 water:soapwort simmered solution, with a splash of vinegar. Maybe if I try adding lime to that solution instead of vinegar, that will work? (Until I can find a locally grown substitute for limes!)

Off to simmer some soapwort!!
    Last edited by mellie; December 10th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I want this awesome body back!! :-)

ETA: OK, I just simmered some soapwort solution. Here's what I did: 2 oz. soapwort root in 1.5 cups tap water, simmered on low for 15 minutes. Results are 8 oz. of amber colored solution. This afternoon I'll try picking up some limes for lime juice to add that, and wash with it tomorrow!
    Last edited by mellie; December 10th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha?

Quote Originally Posted by freznow View Post
    Oooh looks like I need to try aritha! I'm currently using soapwort and have some yucca to try. Thanks for this thread!
    How long have you been using soapwort for? What are the pros and cons you've experienced. I am thinking of switching to soapwort because bottled all-natural shampoos (SLS) free leave my hair in a tangled mess even with the application of conditioner afterward.