Page 3 of 221 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    21/30/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha?

Oh my goodness I have to try this too!! Have you tried the laundry soap yet? did you look for soap nuts on ebay? I will start looking tomorrow or at my natural food store.
    thank you
    Lady Aerdrie Fænya of the Sheltered Grove in the Order of the Long Haired Knights"If you are walking through Hell.... Keep walking" W. Churchill "Patiently waiting to be whole again."...me

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I bought the soapnuts on Amazon.com. I haven't tried them as a laundry soap yet but I should! :-)

Length
    21/30/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I am on amazon and I found them. I don't know which one to try. Who did you go with? How much did you get and should you have bought more /less?
    Lady Aerdrie Fænya of the Sheltered Grove in the Order of the Long Haired Knights"If you are walking through Hell.... Keep walking" W. Churchill "Patiently waiting to be whole again."...me

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I buy my aritha powdered at my local Indian store. My local health food store has aritha laundry soap, but I haven't tried that yet; hmmm maybe I will.

I'm so glad that the aritha wash went well!

Length
    21/30/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

shell soapnut is the same as aritha? right?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Well day two was not as good, unfortunately. By mid-day my roots were very greasy, so much so that I used some dry shampoo. Maybe I didn't use enough soapnut shampoo? Since it's just a liquid which doesn't lather, it's hard to know how much to use.

Re: which ones I ordered from Amazon; I ordered the 1 Lb. of Lullwater Soap Nuts (shipping was going to be almost $10 no matter what size I got, so I figured I might as well order a lot!) :-)
    Last edited by mellie; July 23rd, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by naturechild View Post
    shell soapnut is the same as aritha? right?
    Yes, they are the same--also Reetha is another name for Aritha.

Mellie, maybe you need to adjust to less cleansing, or maybe it's more cleansing than you usually use. What routine are you switching from?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Mellie, What routine are you switching from?
    Previously, I was alternating between soapwort and a commercial non-SLS shampoo. After a few days with soapwort, I would have greasy roots and have to use the regular shampoo.

I didn't use very much of the soapnut liquid. I filled a little pump bottle with it (I'm guessing it's a 4 oz bottle), and I only used less than half of it to wash my shoulder-length, very thick hair. Maybe it just wasn't enough?

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Oooh looks like I need to try aritha! I'm currently using soapwort and have some yucca to try. Thanks for this thread!
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Previously, I was alternating between soapwort and a commercial non-SLS shampoo. After a few days with soapwort, I would have greasy roots and have to use the regular shampoo.

I didn't use very much of the soapnut liquid. I filled a little pump bottle with it (I'm guessing it's a 4 oz bottle), and I only used less than half of it to wash my shoulder-length, very thick hair. Maybe it just wasn't enough?
    I might wash twice with the herb mixture, and give up on the SLS shampoo. I suspect that the shampoo is over cleaning, and that the herbs will perform better used on their own. You could try several washes in a row with herbs, increasing frequency at first, to see how it worked. Then once things stabilize, you could stretch out your washes again.

Also, when using herbs, I apply the mixture, let sit for 10 minutes or so (while shaving etc), massage, then rinse. Did you do it this way?