Page 41 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

I just read this article and i think the reason why you have been feeling dry and itchy scalp is because you may used more liquid to wash your hair. Here is the link.

http://www.naturesoap.co.za/usesofsoapnuts.html
    http://soapnuts.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    There is some cross-conversation now between her and the catnip thread but, me not pre oiling as much latest washes, could be a cause.
    I have problems getting heavy oiling out though, even with SLS.
    But if I try soapnut again, I will remember the oiling.

I can feel that my scalp itches a bit today. That was what it used to do from SLS and hennaing, but not CO. That could (amongst many other reasons), mean that soapnuts was too drying.

At the moment I can not be sure if there is a build up or not.
    When using the not-just-amla amla, ther was more definately a build up. Hair felt dirty and coated.

I have not oily hair, more of very dry.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I had a problem with pre-oiling and using soapnuts which are a mild cleanser. Soapnuts are great for scalp but not for washing out all the oil (at least for moi). I still had oily hair afterwards.

Modern shampoos do a good job on degreasing, so we get streaky clean hair that way. I still like the way modern shampoos clean, but my scalp rebells with itchies and other problems.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

I have used soapnut after heavy oiling AND i have very oily hair but soapnut cleaned all the greasiness in only one wash. How exactly are you making your shampoo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    I had a problem with pre-oiling and using soapnuts which are a mild cleanser. Soapnuts are great for scalp but not for washing out all the oil (at least for moi). I still had oily hair afterwards.

Modern shampoos do a good job on degreasing, so we get streaky clean hair that way. I still like the way modern shampoos clean, but my scalp rebells with itchies and other problems.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tina1025 View Post
    I have used soapnut after heavy oiling AND i have very oily hair but soapnut cleaned all the greasiness in only one wash. How exactly are you making your shampoo?
    I oiled my hair before washing.

Four soapnuts in one cup of warm water, steeped overnight! I poured in on my hair and left it on for about five minutes before rinsing it out. And got it in my eye too, ouch! Afterwards, I used the soapnuts for a couple of laundries.

Not everyone's hair reactes the same way.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I oiled my hair before washing.

Four soapnuts in one cup of warm water, steeped overnight! I poured in on my hair and left it on for about five minutes before rinsing it out. And got it in my eye too, ouch! Afterwards, I used the soapnuts for a couple of laundries.

Not everyone's hair reactes the same way.
    I did a hot load of laundry with 5 cracked nuts and it came out wonderfully clean. Everything gross was gone and perfectly fresh.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Thank you all for your answers and the links.
    I may have ues too strong aritha liquid.
    The liquid also got very low pH.

Now, two days later, top hair feels very clean, but it was never squeeky clean with soapnuts, as it can be with SLS.
    The lenghts of my hair, I oiled well after the wash. They look a bit oily, but seams to tangle easier than usual. I used more oil on the very ends last night. Now it is 6:45 AM so I will soon comb down and find out if this last oiling were good.
    Hair is not stiff.

I can imagine that I will get problems with heavy oiling before wash.
    It took me several weeks to fins out how much oil wasn't to much before CO.
    Oil soaking takes at least 2 SLS schampooings to get rid off, and then it feels like oil didn't do any good.
    My hair can take a lot of oil, but when it start looking too oily, it is hard to get out and I must just wait (or use SLS at least twice).

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    Thank you all for your answers and the links.
    I may have ues too strong aritha liquid.
    The liquid also got very low pH.

Now, two days later, top hair feels very clean, but it was never squeeky clean with soapnuts, as it can be with SLS.
    The lenghts of my hair, I oiled well after the wash. They look a bit oily, but seams to tangle easier than usual. I used more oil on the very ends last night. Now it is 6:45 AM so I will soon comb down and find out if this last oiling were good.
    Hair is not stiff.

I can imagine that I will get problems with heavy oiling before wash.
    It took me several weeks to fins out how much oil wasn't to much before CO.
    Oil soaking takes at least 2 SLS schampooings to get rid off, and then it feels like oil didn't do any good.
    My hair can take a lot of oil, but when it start looking too oily, it is hard to get out and I must just wait (or use SLS at least twice).
    Using a pre oil would help prevent build-up IMO, because the oil would prevent a coating from adhereing to the hair as well compared to not doing a pre oil. If you have oil on your hair before washing though not a preoil as such, it would stll protect the hair somewhat but a strong soap nut solution would remove more of it and may coat the hair a bit.

Mucilage from my experience, does not feel waxy, it seals in moisture and gives hair a sheen and body. It does cause tangles though, at lower levels (not built-up yet and once it has built up).

I wonder what the traditional pre oil is for aritha. Is it a specific weight? I know that Indian hair care calls for different oils and mixes. I wonder what is preferred for aritha and does the oil itself make a difference in terms of it being more compatible with aritha washes.
    Last edited by ktani; December 8th, 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

There's a big difference too between oiling and heavy oiling. Most of the time when people do oiling (from what I understand), they are just putting the tiniest drop on the very ends. This would seem to be good for folks with dry ends.

But is that what is traditionally done for aritha? Or do they do heavy oiling, when the entire hair is coated from top to bottom?

Also, is it more traditional to use aritha powder (and hence oiling before would make more sense since any powder would be drying)?

I will check my Beauty Secrets of India book, which is written by an Indian lady and contains traditional recipes and guidelines. I will see if she mentions anything about traditional oiling before using the liquid soapnuts recipe.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

OK, here's what the Beauty Secrets of India book says:

-She doesn't mention oiling before the use of the liquid soapnut recipe. She does say the addition of lemon juice to the soapnut liquid "helps control oil secretion in a greasy scalp". So the lemon should probably be left out for normal to dry hair.

Here's what she says about oiling in general:

"For oily hair:
    There is no truth to the myth that a daily wash will harm the hair. In fact greasy hair only attracts dust and grime, which make it and the scalp unhealthy....Women with very greasy hair should oil their hair once a fortnight or so and leave it on for not more than half an hour. This will help to nourish the roots, which do not benefit nutritionally from the oil on the scalp....

"For dry hair:
    Shampoo your hair only when necessary, using lukewarm water....In India oiling of the hair is a beauty routine followed by men and women alike....Every household has its own secret recipe for the best hair oil and this usually has a base of pure coconut oil....Just warm a little coconut oil and massage it into your scalp....work the oil all the way to ends of your hair, then tie loosely. If you intend to leave the oil on overnight for intensive conditioning, do not forget to cover your pillow..."

Today I finally used soapnut liquid shampoo. (I had been using powdered soapnut liquid shampoo) This morning when I washed my hair, the liquid didn’t clean all the greasiness from my hair and my hair feels extremely greasy. I am very upset and want to know what I did wrong. So here is what I did….i soaked 6 soapnut shells (without seeds) in 2 cups of water for about 9 hours. This morning when I woke up the liquid was brown. I filled up a 2 oz. bottle with the liquid (as some of you have said that that’s how much liquid is required to wash hair) but I only used about 1 oz. of liquid to wash my hair. Is this the reason why my hair is still greasy? Because I didn’t use enough liquid. I mean I did make sure that I covered my whole head. My end seems dry and they were oily prior to washing my hair. I left it on for about 5 to 8 mins.