Page 5 of 221 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha?

I bought the soapnuts whole. I took approx. 7 nuts and boiled them for 20 minutes in 4 cups of tap water. I let it steep overnight as well, then strained out the nuts and put all the liquid in containers in the fridge and tossed out the nuts (although they could be re-used the same day for laundry).

I got best results from using 4 oz. of this liquid as a shampoo. I added just a drop or two of Lemon essential oil, for one because I like the smell, and also because my book "Beauty Secrets of India" recommends adding lemon juice to soapnut liquid as well. During washing I used plenty of water to try to lather it up a little (it produces really no lather, and the first time I don't think I used enough water when shampooing and it let to greasiness). I then rinsed out very well with COLD water (this helped to get a cleaner/less oily feeling on my roots).

A few days ago, I followed this with a horsetail/nettle rinse which was fabulous, and I think I might incorporate either a horsetail or a catnip rinse to follow all the time. It really was great for body and shine. But, it is not necessary. I feel very happy with the condition of my hair today with just simple soapnut liquid and nothing else.
    Last edited by mellie; July 26th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

I have been researching aritha.

There is more than 1 way to use it, although to make a liquid or juice for cleaning, the instructions are fairly consistant.

What is curious is the various parts of the plant used. I cannot find referenced sources that have everything in one place.

"S. mukorossi Gaerten (Sapindaceae), commonly known as Ritha or Aritha is found throughout India. The major constituents of its fruit are saponins (10%-11.5%), sugars (10%) and mucilage .... fruit of the plant is reported to have expectorant, emetic, alexipharmic, and abortificiant effects .... also used in excessive salivation, epilepsy and chlorosis .... Saponins from this plant .... known to be spermicidal in vitro"
    http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=3&gl=ca

Soap nuts for washig are apparently minus the seeds.

“HOW DO THEY WORK?
    The name Soap Nut is misleading for it is the SHELL (not the seed) of the soapnut that contains and releases the saponins .... when it comes into contact with warm water. When you use soapnuts .... using only the shell - not the whole nut. .... harvesters have .... removed the seed. "
    http://www.naturoli.com/store/naturolinuts.html

".... contains tannic acid, vitamin C and resins.
    Use after 2 days .... peeling off the soap nut skin and using as a natural hair conditionar by squeezing the nuts and using the frothy shampoo ...."
    http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php?t-23765.html

This is most curious, IMO - no details.

"Mordant: .... acts as a fantastic mordant in the process of vegetable dyeing of the silk and cotton yarns, removing the need for both alum and caustic soda and rendering the fibres soft and yielding .... colour-depth and fastness. No other mordant is required for most natural dyes .... soap nut has a .... light brown natural dye."
    http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/Soap_Nut?utm_source=Madhavi_email&utm_medium=email &utm_campaign=invite
    Last edited by ktani; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

"No other mordant is required for most natural dyes .... soap nut has a .... light brown natural dye."

That IS interesting! Wow!

I knew that you would be interested in that one.

Here is more not on that though.

"Sapindus mukorossi
    Major components of the fruit’s pericarp are: saponosides (10-20%), sugars (10%), mucilage and sesquiterpene-glycosides …. (Ibraim M et al, 2006)."
    http://www.centerchem.com/PDFs/Energen%20Tech%20Lit%2042008.pdf

This post is in the wrong thread.

I should have been more clear.

I meant a single source plant for a natural brown dye.

Henna and indigo are natural and safe, excluding allergies and medical reasons to avoid henna.
    http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/85/5/411
    Last edited by ktani; July 26th, 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: clarification

mellie

I am guessing but I think that the brown dye comes from the tannic acid in the seeds, not the shells.

That makes sense to me.

An article on the traditional uses of aritha.

"volatile acid contained in .... fruit which irritates eye is the formic acid ....

.... pericarp is rich in Saponin but it is accompanied with a dark coloured matter possessing a disagreeable taste.

.... natives and traditional healers .... use all parts of Reetha herb as medicine both internally as well as externally ...." http://www.botanical.com/site/column...63_reetha.html

The pericarp is the skin, surrounding the fruit.

More

"I'm currently trying them .... regular laundry. I'm not 100% sure yet .... there is no detergent residue so less itch for me! "
    http://forum.canadianparents.com/ubb...&Number=749533

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I am planning on trying them for my laundry today actually!

Please let me know if you find anything more about the dyeing properties! I am intrigued! :-)

mellie

It appears to be an obscure reference.

I found 2 online Canadian vendors, then called one of the 2 health food stores I frequent.

I can get aritha nuts locally - no shipping, no Paypal, and no credit card - fantastic. Very resaonably priced too, IMO. 250 g for $8.95 CAD.

I can experiment to my heart's content.