Page 91 of 221 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Just wanted to report that after a bit more experimentation, I've decided that 1 oz. of the liquid actually works better than 1.5 oz., (weird and illogical, but it's true!) and I've adjusted my cost per wash breakdown post accordingly. So for me, my cost per month to wash with soapnuts is now roughly $8.60. If I was able to re-use the soapnuts a second time on my hair, it would be half that. Plus no conditioner or rinses needed either, so there's that cost savings too!

P.S. I was thinking about why the smaller amount of liquid is actually working better to cut grease on my roots. It really seems to defy logic, but I can't argue with the facts! I think perhaps since there's a smaller amount in the 8 oz. container, when I shake it up to make foam, there's actually more room in the container, hence more foam created?

ETA: FYI, since I've created an Article on Soapnut Foam Washing, I've changed my siggy link to the Article, and put a note on the old updating post to refer folks to the Article instead. This morning I edited the Article a bit: I added a pic of dried soapnuts, and made a few more notes in the text as well to answer some folks' questions, if ya'll want to check it out!
    Great job Melli, I can't wait to check it out after work!
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

the boxes that we have of shikakai say acacia concinna

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Just to make things more confusing - argh!! :-)

I wonder if there is a difference between saponin content of S. mukorossi and S. trifoliatus and that is why some sites say 20% and others say 10%?

Here is another one that says 10%:

http://www.asiaandro.com/1008-682X/4/233.htm
    Yum Yum, mucilage. The last Indian store owner made sure 3 times that I wasn't going to eat them
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I finally got a chance to check my Hesh boxes, here's what I got:

Aritha (Sapindus Trifoliatus/Soapnut)
    Shikakai (Acacia Concinna)

Amla (Indian Goosberry/Emblic Myrobalan)
    Neem (Azadirachta Indica)
    Brahmi (Herpestis Monniera/Thyme Leaves)
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

ok, I washed with the new batch of soapnuts this morning.
    Im still waiting for it to dry completely to see how it feels.

I didnt use conditioner or ACV rinse after, just soapnuts to see how it went.

I will say, that when i rinsed it out, my hair felt like.... crap. Straw. But, I know that sometimes, when it feels like that and it dries, its nice, so Im trying to not judge it yet.

I took half the batch and put it in the shower, and the other half went to the kitchen sink, and DH loved washing our dishes with it! LOL!

I also found a sample pack of Amla powder that I wonder if I should add to the batch in the shower?

I will report back when completely dry.
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Fencai, what was your recipe and method? Are you using powder? Or are these the sticky soapnuts? I'm sorry about the crappy feeling. That seems very strange to me that it feels like straw to you, I certainly don't have that feeling ever. Sometimes a little greasy but never strawlike.
    Last edited by mellie; January 15th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

hey mellie!
    i took my first batch of soapnut liquid (which had been 5C of water, with 8 soapnuts soaked over night) and put that back in a bowl, and added about 15 more soapnuts and left it over night.

I used the sticky soapnuts, and didnt add anything else to the liquid, (no lemon or other herbs).

I used about an ounce of the liquid in the shower this morning, and foamed it up and then squirted it on my hair. I didnt rub it in this time, since you had suggested not to, and left it for a few mins, and then rinsed it out with the shower head.

I didnt use conditioner or anything else so I would get an accurate read on it.

still drying out though... LOL!

Top is feeling pretty good right now, but the ends seems a bit dry... maybe needs a little oil.
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

OK, that sounds like a pretty good recipe. Keep me posted when it dries! Hopefully it will look nice and shiny and beautiful! :-)

If it's still a bit dry on the ends, maybe just a little tiny bit of oil or shea butter on the ends is all you need? Sometimes I need to use just a teeny tiny bit of shea butter on my ends which were stupidly razor cut (argh!).

P.S. With the foam, it seems best when the foam is rich and thick, not runny or liquidy at all. So, I shake it up really really well, then take the lid off and poof the foam onto my hand.

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

yeah I squeezed the foam out into my hand first like you did

ok, all dry now. I just combed out. I dont see extra shine, and it feels a little dry and ends look dry.
    at this stage I would say it needs oil, and if i was to do it again in the shower, it would need conditioner with it.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I took some pics today to see how my natural gray growout is going (glittery silvers! Yay!!), but thought I might share them here too since they show that pretty soapnut shine and body too!

(P.S. In the front pic, if you look on either side of my part, you can see my silvers coming in! And in the back shot, you will see two little stripes too if you look closely).

The silvers are starting to behave a little better with the soapnuts I think! They are laying down a little bit better than they used to (when they'd stick straight up in the air!!!).
    your hair looks beautiful Mellie and those greys i see them, behaving beautifully.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip