Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy with very unwieldy hair looking for help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Guy with very unwieldy hair looking for help

Ladies, where is that hillarious thread about brushing our curls out to make it a big poof ??! He should see that lol

Length
    15/22/30

Well done Mactub!
    Sept Nov Jan Mar Apr Jun (c)Sept Dec
    15" 16" 17" 18" 19" 20" 21" 22" 23" 24"

Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

Holy moly! Thanks for all the replies! Haven't had a chance to read them yet but figured before this continues, I should throw in that I do not want to have curly hair! I want it as straight and non-poofy as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardh View Post
    Holy moly! Thanks for all the replies! Haven't had a chance to read them yet but figured before this continues, I should throw in that I do not want to have curly hair! I want it as straight and non-poofy as possible!
    That's too bad, you don't have the genes on your side Doable, but it'll never be as healhty looking, or as good looking, than your natural texture. It would be a daily battle, and the results would be *meh*, in my opinion.

From a curly head that finally embraced her curls after much much hatred, and now has lucious, easy, non poofy, non frizzy beautiful curls (if i can say so myself)... may I ask : Why ?

Some male inspiration with some curls in their hair for you, hehehe :
    http://www.manlycurls.com/about-manly-curls/
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=43636
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=12653
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=144
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=20184

Ok, now I stop
    Last edited by Maktub; January 10th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by edwardh View Post
    One of the things you'll learn here on LHC is to embrace what your hair wants to be. I agree with everyone else who has replied -- I think your hair wants to be curly, or at the very least wavy. This is not a bad thing! This is how your hair grows and what it naturally wants to do.

Someone with naturally curly hair cannot make their hair straight without damaging it. Damage makes hair do crazy things, like what you're seeing -- it will become dry, poofy, go out at all angles, split and generally be a pain to work with. Attempts to make curly hair straight will only result in more of the same.

This is why you're getting advice about how to bring out your curls. Curls DO NOT mean that you're stuck with crazy poofy hair (unless you mistreat it). Curls can be quite sleek and stylish.

If you keep fighting your hair's natural tendencies, then sadly it's only going to get worse from here. You've already tried to make it go straight, right? And you're seeing the results.

The first thing you'll learn here is how to work with, not fight, your hair. There is no magic formula to make curly hair straight forever. Let go of that idea and embrace what you have, learn from it, give your hair what it wants, and accept it on its own terms. It will take some time but in the end, your hair will look much better and you'll be way less stressed over it!

A lot of us have been through the same thing you're going through. We get it. We're here for you.

Oh, and welcome to LHC!
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Second star to the right and straight on till morning´¯`·.¸¸.☆
    Length
    BSL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Just look at Troy Polamolu. He's got one of the best heads of hair out there, and it's about as curly as it gets.

Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

Well, now that I've read the replies (the link to "Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating" is not valid by the way), I just have to research where to get all the stuff I need from, so it may take a while until I will actually be able to start my experiment

Why I don't want curly hair: I don't think it fits my face. I think curly hair can work well for southern or rugged types but not so much for people with androgynous facial features. Furthermore, I associate curly hair with latin flair and I have more of a "nordish soul". Calm and melancholic, not lively and cheerful.

And actually (@ Wavelength), I haven't tried to make it straight yet. Not really anyway. I've only tried straightening product and getting a huge round brush. But that was years ago for some weeks. I've only been washing with shampoo (every 2nd day), done barely any brushing (to not upset the poof ) and have used little hair spray (I put it on my hand and use it like gel - I started using it to hold down my hair but not make it look wet at the same time) for about three years now.

And, humm, might I add that a guy that embraces what he has (rather than battles over a flat iron everyday to camouflage his true self, and runs from the rain and humidity to not get poofy...) shows sooooo much more self confidence, and confidence is the basis of sexyness and attractiveness ?

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Maktub View Post
    And, humm, might I add that a guy that embraces what he has (rather than battles over a flat iron everyday to camouflage his true self, and runs from the rain and humidity to not get poofy...) shows sooooo much more self confidence, and confidence is the basis of sexyness and attractiveness ?

This! And it goes for women too.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Maktub View Post
    shows sooooo much more self confidence, and confidence is the basis of sexyness and attractiveness ?
    A reason why straight hair would work for me and not against me.
    I know what I want and am confident enough to not want to appear confident. You are absolutely right when it comes to what is commonly thought of as sexy. However, I am not attracted to women with common tastes in the first place