Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Different hair types on the same head!!!

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Different hair types on the same head!!!

oh, yeah, my canopy is much straighter than my underlayer. Also different shades-- the canopy is very, very blonde, the underlayer is also blonde but more of a dignified shade.

Wearing it down makes it look WILD AND BUSHY. Like... Viking-cavewoman-on-a-bender or something. So I section off the canopy and braid it, and wear the rest of it down. That looks better. Layering also helps me, but I don't want to mess with keeping up layers any more.

You'll figure out something that works for you!

Cool picture, Schrei!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I think the right kind of layering can do WONDERS when the top layers are straighter than the underside of the hair. My stepdaughter has this issue, and I just layered her hair the other day, and it falls soooooo much nicer now than when blunt cut.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning´¯`·.¸¸.☆
    Length
    BSL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shebelina View Post
    Thanks Schrei777. Unfortunately, I gave into peer pressure years ago and dyed it all blonde. It would take me forever to grow it out, and because of the streaks I can't just dye it closer to my natural colour.
    I totally feel your pain. My head is looking like a bowl of Noepolitan ice cream right now with the 3 different colors. And I can't dye the pink to match because it's to bright to cover and my hair is too odd to match. But I'm going to rock it anyway because I'm determined to have my natural hair again after dying it for so long. If you decide to grow yours out let me know, we can suffer the horrible three tone color together

And thanks elbow chic!
    *BSL**Waist!**Hips*

Length
    shld/hip/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I have f/m/c my fine hairs are my blonde hairs ( thanks dad) my medium hairs are a comb of my mothers and fathers hair and my C hairs are my deep copper red hair like my moms that can take a beating sadly most of my fine hairs are on my top layer and that layer is a 1c/2a and the rest is a 1a/1b. BUT I am not as nice to my hair as most on the boards I chase away the random wave/curl with a blow dryer and maybe a flat iron depending on how annoyed i am that day

Length
    19.7/22.8/39.4
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

My hair is usually pretty strong and thick - I'd say M and C - not really fine. Though I do have straight ones at the top and all the others are mixed - wavy and curly. I have got lots of little ringlets on the bottom and lots of S-waves on the top and in the middle. So it's all mixed together!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Schrei777 View Post
    I totally feel your pain. My head is looking like a bowl of Noepolitan ice cream right now with the 3 different colors. And I can't dye the pink to match because it's to bright to cover and my hair is too odd to match. But I'm going to rock it anyway because I'm determined to have my natural hair again after dying it for so long. If you decide to grow yours out let me know, we can suffer the horrible three tone color together
    Loving the description! It will probably look very cool once the virgin hair grows a bit. I will definitely let you know if I decide to grow mine out too, DBF keeps mentioning I should grow it out, so the idea is firmly wedged into my brain

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

HelloKitteh that's a good idea, you will have to figure out a way to stop the top half from getting all tangled though.
    Well even though I did the underlayer braids very loose, I still looked like a puffball, so this previous attempt was a fail.
    Shebelina, I'm lucky enough that as long as I detangle when wet, I do not have any tangle issues with the straight portion

I have been trying something I tried years ago, but I may have had more resolve this time... I've used those huge velcro rollers after washing my hair again, decided to put them on my whole head rather than just in the underlayers, and it's worked quite well today, as I don't have puffy hair 2 hours after washing, and in some way to straightness of the top layers reminds me of last time I went to the hairdresser's!! I would put a picture up of before/after, but strangely I don't seem to get a picture where my hair doesn't look greasy, scraggly and generally ugly, not sure what I'm doing wrong, my hair doesn't look *that* bad...

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelover View Post
    I think the right kind of layering can do WONDERS when the top layers are straighter than the underside of the hair. My stepdaughter has this issue, and I just layered her hair the other day, and it falls soooooo much nicer now than when blunt cut.
    Would you mind explaining how this would be done please? I had my own idea about that, but my method would not extend to the next growth - i.e. once hair has grown it's not as easy to repeat the same process.
    Last edited by HelloKitteh; February 12th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Someday the Northern Realm in the Highlands
    Length
    24in/47in/Term
    Type
    3b/3c/F/i

This has hindered growth all my life because I did not realize the imporatance of it. I have a 4a wiry fringe and canopy gradually changing to 3c to the next under layers then to a 2c fine wispy iin the rear lower layer nape. For years that lower area was short tapered and always knotting and tangling mess. Since my hair journey began in earnest in 2002 I began to isolate the areas and learned I have to treat them differently. Its been a long learning curve. My nape and lower layers are now the longest reaching BCL - TBL while my canopy is trailing fromSHL to Hip. I have just perfected my own recipes of natural products to deal with the different areas. It is impossible for me to use the same product on my entire head which is what I tried to do for years. I am seeing improvement and hope to see growth of the canopy as a response. Time will now tell.
    "Creation is the first Icon of God"
    3 layers, Fringe-4ac fi frizzy, crimpy,coily. Canopy-3bc fi, spirals, coily. Rear-2abc fi wavy, wispy, coily

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

HelloKitteh I would love to see some photos if you can. I tried those velcro rollers a while back, but they just seem to tangle in my hair, I am not so lucky when it comes to tangles

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

HelloKitteh I would love to see some photos if you can. I tried those velcro rollers a while back, but they just seem to tangle in my hair, I am not so lucky when it comes to tangles
    Yes my hair got tangled even with a short length compared to yours (BSL). I just had to pull slowly not to hurt the hair, and detangle with my fingers, but my hair are easy going once straight, so that wasn't a big issue.
    However, what is important here was the size of the rollers. I used velcro ones because I'm a hair idiot and I needed something easy to put on, and big enough.
    Could we find big size foam rollers instead? Or any big (perforated, for quicker drying) tube in DIY stores? It would do the same job without tangling.
    Pictures wise, I took some but my hair itself looks really bad and greasy on pictures at the moment, and I'm worried that would put everyone off! I can only say that the next morning my hair felt still as slick as if I'd been to the hairdresser's the day before to get a proper blowdry. Couldn't stop touching it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagecoilylocks View Post
    This has hindered growth all my life because I did not realize the importance of it. [...] It is impossible for me to use the same product on my entire head which is what I tried to do for years. I am seeing improvement and hope to see growth of the canopy as a response. Time will now tell.
    That is a very good and interesting point. So far, I have been oiling the lower hair much more hoping that it would change texture, but I'm too much of a beginner to have found out what works well with my hair - even though the improvement in 2 weeks is enough to have solved my biggest issues. I will keep your idea in mind once I've found the right routine for one part or the other!!
    In which way do you think your hair routine would improve the growth? Do you mean that your hair would break less?