Thread: the emotional toll of shedding

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: the emotional toll of shedding

Quote Originally Posted by airmid View Post
    Hey, folks. I'm at a point now where I just need some hugs, support, advice, anything. Maybe others sharing their stories. Some reassurance that this does get better. This may be a bit of a long post. :/

For the past two months, I've been having a huge shed. My doctor thinks it's due to coming off birth control plus other heavy medications, combined with stress/trauma. He never seemed overly concerned... but I sure am. I am heartbroken about it. There's just so much less of it, it feels completely different. I'm tired of picking hair out of my food, my dishwater, hair clogging my bathtub drain... my friend even found one of my hairs in her mouth the other day, I was so embarrassed!

I'm even starting to have crying spells, getting really down over it. Feeling so desperate part of me wonders if I'm going to have to chop off my hair. I won't, not unless it becomes really bad, but it's a terrifying thought.

I'm buying some biotin today, am already taking multivitamins, eating really healthy, doing scalp massages with rosemary oil... I'm hoping it will all start working soon. Is there anything else I could be doing?

I could use a bit of support from my fellow longhairs, the other people in my life don't seem to understand at all. They say I'm imagining it, except for my DBF who saw all the hair I lost one day after I brushed my hair, and said, "Maybe long hair just isn't a good option for you at this point in your life." That didn't help either!
    I agree with your doctor. When I went off the pill my hair thinned out too and mine is thin to begin with. Did I lose almost all of my hair? No. It just looked thin enough that my stylist noticed.

It is a hormone imbalance and that on top of your stress over your hair and other things is causing you to have crying jags too. It can become a circle.

Recognize 2 things. This is not unusual and that it is temporary. Your body will readjust. If you try to stay calm, and succeed, any hair shedding related to stress, should lessen.

Keep monitoring the condition but do not obsess over it. There are relaxation techniques you can look into or just get dressed up, go out and have a blast, while taking a mental vacation from worrying about your hair.

Keep your doctor informed of any changes so that he can possibly look into other ways to help you if you need it.

Good luck!

ETA: Re the other heavy medications. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives to those that do not contribute to or cause shedding.
    Last edited by ktani; February 10th, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: ETA