Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else use a flat iron?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone else use a flat iron?

I don't typically flat iron (I actually just gave my years-old FI away to a friend) but I DO blow dry pretty much every time I wash my hair. I just like the way it looks better than when it air dries. I take pretty good of my hair though so I don't think (well, I hope) it's really doing too much damage. I always use a heat protectant (Tresemme heat tamer) and since my hair is relatively thin I'm able to dry it in about 5 minutes on the lowest heat setting (not cool). I've never dyed my hair so that might be why it doesn't seem to be too damaging. Who knows! But yes, I think you're right that you can use heat without causing tons of damage, especially if you use it sparingly. At least I hope that's the case!

Guilty as charged... I straighten my hair about twice a week and even more when I'm on holidays. I let my hair dry naturally (no blowdrying) and when it's completely dry, I take out my CHI. I have tried to kick the habit (for three months) but I felt so unhappy with my coarse, frizzy hair that I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm all for healthy looking and feeling hair, but I was suffering. I just didn't feel attractive without my sleek & shiny looking hair. To make matters worse, everybody thought the same...

On the other hand, I have totally kicked my bleaching ways and haven't bleached/dyed/relaxed since August 2011
    And lot's of other things which I improved on...

Is it damaging? Probably, but I'm willing to ignore this (I have almost shoulder lenght hair btw / years of abuse got me almost at BSL and my hair wasn't that bad...)

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I do occasionally, maybe once every few months. I have a Solia flat iron. I used to straighten my hair almost daily, but once I hit waist length the last 6" or so was in horrible condition. It took a lot of time and trimming to get the damage off. Now I'm growing it out for the second time. I've almost reached waist length and my ends are fine, so I think occasional flat ironing doesn't affect my hair too badly.

Length
    APL/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

My hair has never been able to withstand flat ironing. It's so obviously fried after I do it! I was always envious of my best friend in high school who would always flat iron her hair and it was as healthy and gorgeous as ever!

Length
    Pob/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I might have read somewhere that years of straightening may cause lose of volume etc, but I really dont know any facts about it.
    I next plan to straighten my hair for a wedding in July, using alot of heat protection spray!![/quote]

I've been flat ironing for several years and I still have all my volume. Straightening does make your hair kind of flat because it smooths it all down, but it comes right back after you wash it.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by carmac21 View Post
    Aww I really wish I could say I straighten my hair but I cant. My hair just wont take the heat. I straightened it on my holiday and I loved how it looked, but I paid for it the next day. If you have strong healthy hair that can take being straightened then I dont think its a problem. Shiny thick straight hair is a bit of a fantasy for me, I have thin, curly hair

I might have read somewhere that years of straightening may cause lose of volume etc, but I really dont know any facts about it.
    I next plan to straighten my hair for a wedding in July, using alot of heat protection spray!!
    Yes, flat irons cause loss of volume...it happened to me, luckily, I lost no real thickness but it might be different for others...my hair took a beating in the curl and volume department, I cried alot over it and thought it was permenant and in a way, it is, until it all grows out again...so beware of flat irons if you like your curls
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Faux View Post
    I next plan to straighten my hair for a wedding in July, using alot of heat protection spray!!
    I've been flat ironing for several years and I still have all my volume. Straightening does make your hair kind of flat because it smooths it all down, but it comes right back after you wash it. [/quote]

It SHOULD come right back....mine just stopped after a while....now I am working on fixing it, its a big pain really
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Type
    1c/F/ii

I have actually just started using my flat iron again since I started my new job. I've never had to get up this early before, so if I can't fix my hair any other way it's the easiest route to looking professional.

And I will never give up my blowdryer, though I never use it on anything but low heat. Test it on your skin, if it's burning your skin it's burning your hair If you can give your hair a 2 week break from heat every now and then I think you'll be fine. Sometimes it just needs to rest.

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I don't flat iron ever. My hair is fine and it just can't take very much heat. I do blow dry on warm settings, but even that would have to go if I wanted to grow my hair longer than waist (which I don't).

Its all about time. Flat ironing does damage hair, its just that if your hair is only bra strap length or shorter, you probably trim the ends off before the damage really starts to show.

Anyone with waist or longer hair use a flat iron regularly?
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Length
    SL/hip/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I heat style my hair every now and then. Not just with my flat iron but curling irons too. My hair used to be unfazed but lately the heat damage seems to be catching up to me again. My ends feel rough everytime I heat style, so I'm gonna try and cut back on it some more.