Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Long Hair Motorcyclists!!

Default Re: Long Hair Motorcyclists!!

Congrats on the new Shadow, planning any long road trips? I know a few crazy iron butt riders out of Florida that would be happy to let you tag along. It's a little embarassing to admit, but even though the guys are in their 80's I cannot keep up the pace they do.

My french braids don't hold up well with a helmet. I did recently learn rope & dutch brading. I haven't done a major road test but so far those seem to be holding up better on rides. I'm thinking the braid combined with a helmet liner may be the answer.

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jlb View Post
    Congrats on the new Shadow, planning any long road trips? I know a few crazy iron butt riders out of Florida that would be happy to let you tag along. It's a little embarassing to admit, but even though the guys are in their 80's I cannot keep up the pace they do.

My french braids don't hold up well with a helmet. I did recently learn rope & dutch brading. I haven't done a major road test but so far those seem to be holding up better on rides. I'm thinking the braid combined with a helmet liner may be the answer.
    There's a BBQ place called Sleepy Hollow up in Floral City that my hubby and I are going to visit this Friday or Saturday, weather permitting. It's not terribly long, about 100 miles round trip. Nice roads.

Are these "iron butt riders" anywhere near west central Florida? Who knows? They've probably been to Sleepy Hollow. It's pretty popular with motorcycle riders.

I like the rope braid idea. I'll try that next time I put my helmet on, and put the scarf over it too, just for extra precaution, see how it works. Thanks for the idea.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I ride also . I don't put a bandana over my head, I just use panacea and french or dutch braid. My hair still gets pretty messed up inside my jacket and inside the full face helmet.
    Last edited by Vanilla; August 27th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

I wish I had a motorcycle anymore. It's been a while.

Re snow and ice, I've even ridden in those conditions when I had to, even if it meant dragging both feet on the ground. I didn't own a car back then, so it often was necessary.

I used to tuck my hair in my jacket and wear a scarf around my neck to keep it there (faux silk scarf in summer). Usually I tied my hair back first, but not always. Where I live now it gets so hot I might now try a braid instead (hadn't learnt to braid my hair back then, but I often do now).

I need a motorcycle!

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alun View Post
    I wish I had a motorcycle anymore. It's been a while.

Re snow and ice, I've even ridden in those conditions when I had to, even if it meant dragging both feet on the ground. I didn't own a car back then, so it often was necessary.

I used to tuck my hair in my jacket and wear a scarf around my neck to keep it there (faux silk scarf in summer). Usually I tied my hair back first, but not always. Where I live now it gets so hot I might now try a braid instead (hadn't learnt to braid my hair back then, but I often do now).

I need a motorcycle!
    YES! YOU NEED A BIKE!!

I live in West Central Florida. Hot and humid!! Thanks for the hair idea. Before I started piling my hair on top of my head under a scarf, I'd get very sweaty hair under the helmet.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

i just tuck my hair under my coat. everything else doesn't work as the helmet is snug. I is rather annoying.

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    i just tuck my hair under my coat. everything else doesn't work as the helmet is snug. I is rather annoying.
    Helmets are annoying in several ways. What's worst is how it whips my head around in the slightest wind. I have the full-face modular kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alun View Post
    I need a motorcycle!
    I've got an extra, if you want to trek to central Il we'll ride. Go for it, some great buys out there right now on bikes both new & used. It's too much fun to walk away from

Quote Originally Posted by silverthread View Post
    Helmets are annoying in several ways. What's worst is how it whips my head around in the slightest wind. I have the full-face modular kind.
    How tall is your windshield, if you have one? My previous two bikes didn't have windshields & it was never an issue. My spyder got a new taller windshield a couple weeks after I took it on the interstate the first time & got blown around.