Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad experience - Hairstylist advice needed (long)

Default Re: Bad experience - Hairstylist advice needed (long)

As it goes for curling, I recommend steam curlers. No damage to the hair that I'm aware of. And it works. And it's a low demand of time to heat the curlers.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

May I ask where you live? I think I remember seeing somewhere that you lived in Montreal... (I live in Montreal). If you'd like to change stylists I know of a great place.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by alyanna View Post
    Thing is, I really do love my stylist ... as a person... and the whole crew at that salon. I've been going there since I was a teenager, so it's actually ... heartbreaking for me to go anywhere else. This is why I'm looking for a home solutions
    This is significant to me. You love your stylist and the crew. You may be able to combine what you want with their help.

Tell them what the issues are for you - that you need products that are more in keeping with your other lifestyle and you prefer softer hair. That is not like saying - "I hate the spray you used". It can be as simple as "I had a difficult time removing that spray and would really like something softer, do you know of a different product?" They may or may not.

In the meantime, aside from experimenting with steam rollers, you can try to find styling products you like and take the best ones with you to the salon.

The Moroccan Oil Line is used on a few celebreties and does not look like a bad choice.

You may need to clarify if you test and do not like different products.

Good luck.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've had one woman insult me because I wanted to grow out my hair and another one who gave me a hair cut when I wanted a trim. Third try I found a girl that listens. I got a trim and she does my fringe. Sometimes we have to go else where to find a place that puts our needs first.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    hip/31"/more!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Not sure if this is helpful, but this is what works for me:
    I use sightly damp hair with aloe vera in it, roll a strand around my finger (all the way to the end, that is important of course) and fasten it with a clip. I get amazing shiny curls from it and no damage

Length
    28/49/55/tr
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I know that it might not be the most helpful advice, but a really good quality wig might be a help when you need too look fab and are having a bad hair day

Length
    BSL/WL/KNEE
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

The only way you would've ended up with that much damage is if you were to have tried to brush your hair before getting the hairspray out... When your hair is covered in dry hairspray, trying to bend a piece that is hardened will actually break it. You don't notice until after you shampoo though, seeing as it is all stuck together.

Sleeping with your hair braided(optional: add a light texturizer) can leave a nice wave, I do it all the time.

I've done pin curls on other people, and they work pretty nice, you can even spray them with a very light spray and get them done quickly while dry!

Hope that's slightly helpful!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    About the Caruso, if you try it out make sure you don't start with heat protectant in your hair. It is completely unnecessary with the Caruso and the heat protectant will work against your hair getting full benefit of the warm steam, it's very conditioning.

I had no idea about this, thank you for sharing. Learn something new every day I guess! I honestly thought that because even though it was steam, heat was heat and that the protectant would help. I apologize for giving wrong information and thanks for clearing this up for me. I can't use the caruso curlers on my hair anymore because it's so short and it would just be a hot mess, but now I know why it didn't work so well when my hair was longer! And I just thought my hair was being difficult per the usual To the OP: I wish you luck, there have indeed been some very good suggestions in this thread.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Tizzles View Post
    You can't really "wow" style your hair without damage
    I kind of suspected this, but I figure someone might've stumbled upon an amazing new technique

Quote Originally Posted by blondecat View Post
    a link to no heat smooth curls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE
    Thanks for posting the link!

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    I recommend you acquire the book, Naturally Healthy Hair by Mary Beth Janssen.
    http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Heal.../dp/158017129X
    I think I would really enjoy this book. I checked it out on Amazon and some of the bad reviews said the book was "too technical" I think I might enjoy technical!

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    May I ask where you live? I think I remember seeing somewhere that you lived in Montreal... (I live in Montreal). If you'd like to change stylists I know of a great place.
    Hey Amber_Maiden! I actually move around a lot but I'm in Montreal for part of the year. I have a great stylist there at a well-known salon and I've been seeing him for almost 15 years too!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelonghair View Post
    Not sure if this is helpful, but this is what works for me:
    I use sightly damp hair with aloe vera in it, roll a strand around my finger (all the way to the end, that is important of course) and fasten it with a clip.
    I haven't tried using aloe vera for styling yet. Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by AlicesPlatforms View Post
    The only way you would've ended up with that much damage is if you were to have tried to brush your hair before getting the hairspray out...
    I made sure not to brush but I did massage the roots quite a bit because my head was just uncomfortable. I think I may have broken a bunch of hairs at the top of my head. I'm glad I wasn't a complete idiot and used a brush, but I should've followed my instinct and washed my hair right after the wedding rather than waiting until almost two days after.
    Shoulder>>>APL >>> BSL >>> WAIST

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    This is significant to me. You love your stylist and the crew. You may be able to combine what you want with their help.
    Kind of a side topic but:

Oh ktani! If you only knew! I've repeated myself so much at that salon that everyone at that place knows full well what I like. It's just that my stylist disagrees. He will occasionally "humour" me by giving me what I want, but if I so much as blink, he will do what he wants. He's got his own preferences too and this worked marvelously when my hair was shorter. I went in for "tweaks" every 4-6 weeks, got my highlights freshened up regularly and pretty much changed my hairstyle every time I was in there. THAT'S when he's at his best.

I know my stylist hates long hair. He even kind of smirked disapprovingly when I told him I was growing it. I know I won't get what I want out of him now that my hair is longer, but I'm just in a comfort zone and don't want to break up, you know?

One telling sign that I should let this go is that he did not do my hair at my wedding 6 years ago. I just couldn't trust him quite enough for that special day.
    Shoulder>>>APL >>> BSL >>> WAIST