Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Length
    16"/20/35"

Default Re: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Here are two photos I took today. They are both outside but the first one is this morning when it was really cloudy. It looks darker. The second one is when it was brighter outside. Although it was still cloudy out. I have shampoo'd about 4 times since I did the katam gloss. The color is sticking around pretty good.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Wow, so pretty!! I love it!

What have you done differently that is helping to make it stick?

Length
    16"/20/35"

Thank you Mellie! I'm not sure. I didn't use henna this last time, just a katam gloss. It turned out so dark, so maybe it will take time for it to fade. I just noticed the different day on the pictures. That is strange. One says the 3rd. and the other 4th. I don't know how that happened since they were both taken today. My daughter took the photos, so maybe she somehow messed up the days. Anyway, I don't have much red in my hair at the moment. I hope it doesn't fade too much.

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Yes, that does seem like a good idea!!
    It isn't my own idea. I came for a professional hair dressor that worked during the 80's when funky colors were all the rage.
    Last edited by ljkforu; November 3rd, 2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Oops, I tried to quote and double posted.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

It isn't my own idea. I came for a professional hair dressor that worked during the 80's when funky colors were all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkforu View Post
    Just for information:

If you want to hold color use a strong cone conditioner and put a cap on your head and apply heat from a dryer.

If you want to get rid of temporary or weakly bound color use a tablespoon of baking soda in a handful of really nasty SLS shampoo.

Then spend the next week trying to close the cuticle you just ripped open by being gentle and rinsing with an acid rinse until the hair feels normal again. Which eventually it will.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I really like the color! I think I see a pattern. Do the Henna 1st and the Katam 2nd. Or, visa-versa. I got too much indigo and Katam on the first run and then Henna'd over it full strength.

When I do my touch up I'll experiment and see what happens. I'll do them a couple of days apart and let everyone know the result. Fyi, I still don't have fade.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

sandra, that looks lovely!

I have a question - if I'm going to add amla to my next henna/katam mix, where would I sneak that in? So far the mix is (actually, I've done 2 tbl katam to 1 tbl henna - i'm going to increase the katam a bit...)
    3 TBL katam mixed with water/ACV and a pinch of salt. Let dye release (about one hour)
    Mix 1 TBL henna in with the katam mix, adding cold water as necessary to maintain proper consistency.

Where would I add the amla?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I think that adding amla to the katam might be best. I think that is what is suggested with indigo?

Length
    16"/20/35"

Thank you lawyermom!
    I don't have any experience with amla but what Mellie suggests sounds like a good idea.

Length
    12/19/24
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Can katam replace indigo for me?

Ok, so here's my story:

Yesterday I did my fourth application of henna/indigo. (2:1) I applied it to my roots at full strength for 2 hours, then mixed 1tbsp of left over henna with a sprinkle of indigo and created a gloss out of that. (Used Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner).. put it over my entire head.

I have never been so sick in my life. I had the worst migraine, it lasted from as soon as I started doing my roots at 11am, well into the night when I was finally able to get to sleep at around midnight. Even then, the sleep wasn't good, I woke up at 2, and at 3.. etc..

Nausea, headache, eyeache.. didn't know my eyes could ache like that. UGH.

I'm guessing it was the indigo? I'm kind of surprised because I really didn't think that it would affect me like that after using it three times prior to this.

The good news: I love the way my hair looks. *lol* It is a very sassy red brown, and even though it hasn't oxidized yet - I'm loving every minute of it. My roots blended perfectly, I feel like I've finally gotten the hang of this whole process.

SO...

Do you think Katam can replace the indigo in my process? This isn't a do-or-die question at the moment, seeing as I probably won't do my hair again until January. I've been able to go about 2 months between applications with minimal root issues, since the color seems to fade just enough to keep the line of demarcation to a minimum.

I'm just wondering if there will be a HUGE difference in color. I actually wouldn't mind a more brown tone. Do you think I should try honey lightening over the next month or so, to break up the color I have? Then apply henna/katam at my next process?

I just want to make sure that I won't end up two-toned. I loooooooove coloring my hair naturally, but there is absolutely no way I can go through that indigo process again, it made me into a zombie.

So do you think this will work?

Thanks in advance to all of you lovely, lovely ladies. I don't know what I would do without this forum