Page 11 of 267 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

Does anyone know more about castor oil's darkening effects? Is it a stain, or does the hair grow in darker? Is it permanent? Darker how? (As in, is it a more intense version of whatever haircolor you have, or is it a dingy brown stain?)

I'm not categorically opposed to darker hair, but I don't want to get stuck with some ugly color.

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I already have very dark hair, so I don't know about the darkening effects. I'd say it would make very little difference as long as you wash it all out of your hair. It should only make the hair appear darker if used as a leave in... but I really don't know.

I used it when I last washed my hair, it was a little stickier than my usual coconut oil mix, and heavy, but washed out with the second shampoo (non-SLS). I think I'm going to make a routine of it, especially as it doesn't cost much and may give me some extra growth :P
    But I'm still skeptical about the growth part of it. Does anyone know how it helps, apart from the scalp massages that go with the application? How is it different from any other oils?

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I could mention here that I put on some castor oil yesterday. I was sure not to put too much and only at the scalp. I had some coconut oil in there also.

I had no problems to wash it out at all I put some conditioner all over my hair and had my hair in a plastic bag for about half an hour, after that I washed my scalp with the shampoo bar, and a finale rinse to get the conditioner out.
    My hair feels really full today, and my scalp has zero itchiness. I had to oil it yesterday because it got really dry. This is something that I really will start doing more often, especially now that I know how to wash it out.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I use castor and wheat germ oils to wash my face 2-3 x a week. Then I smear this oil on my hair, but LIGHTLY. I also use the same mix to oil my hair for updos on 'dirty days'.

I have not noticed them darkening my hair one bit - it would be nice if my eyebrows darkened, but this, alas, I have to leave to nature.

My hair seems to be regrowing nicely but I would not think that castor oil is making a difference, since my eybrows are still sparse and I have been using castor oil for well over a year now...
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

I've been using castor oil in everything these days. I use it as a hot oil treatment mixed with other oils, mixed with face products, removing make-up and use it in my lotions. So far I've had great results.

Right now I'm experiementing with it once or twice per week as leave in mixed with herbs.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    Does anyone know more about castor oil's darkening effects? Is it a stain, or does the hair grow in darker? Is it permanent? Darker how? (As in, is it a more intense version of whatever haircolor you have, or is it a dingy brown stain?)

I'm not categorically opposed to darker hair, but I don't want to get stuck with some ugly color.
    I think it's supposed to slightly darken hair over time, which is one reason I've been using it. I think a few people on the shampoo bar thread had reported noticeable darkening over time from using shampoo bars with castor oil in them. Here is one account of this online: http://selkiebeauty.blogspot.com/200...darkening.html

I have been using castor oil and feel like a notice a bit of darkening but I cannot say if it's the castor oil or the molasses. I just figure that with all the other benefits of castor oil it's worth using. I def. don't think it will make your hair a yucky color.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

I know this is an older thread but does anyone know if its better to use castor oil (thinned with another oil like avocado or sweet almond) every day as a scalp massage oil? or is it better to use it only once a week as a scalp treatment before washing your hair. I'd like to help my hair growth a bit and more importantly, A couple of family members are having trouble with bald spots starting to form I'm trying to find a natural method to try and stimulate hair growth for them.

Length
    pixie/meh/Meh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    I think it's supposed to slightly darken hair over time, which is one reason I've been using it. I think a few people on the shampoo bar thread had reported noticeable darkening over time from using shampoo bars with castor oil in them. Here is one account of this online: http://selkiebeauty.blogspot.com/200...darkening.html

I have been using castor oil and feel like a notice a bit of darkening but I cannot say if it's the castor oil or the molasses. I just figure that with all the other benefits of castor oil it's worth using. I def. don't think it will make your hair a yucky color.
    That's where I put that blog!!! I knew I had a beauty review type blog at some point or another, but I forgot what I did with it (I switched to wordpress for blogging back some time ago and forgot to transfer things lol).
    I went off shampoo bars a few months ago, and my hair lightened back up... then I henna'd it. So much for growing out my natural color... but I do think whatever darkening effect castor oil has is temporary.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Talma View Post
    I know this is an older thread but does anyone know if its better to use castor oil (thinned with another oil like avocado or sweet almond) every day as a scalp massage oil? or is it better to use it only once a week as a scalp treatment before washing your hair. I'd like to help my hair growth a bit and more importantly, A couple of family members are having trouble with bald spots starting to form I'm trying to find a natural method to try and stimulate hair growth for them.
    If you can deal with oily hair every day then i see no problem with using it in daily scalp massage.
    If you are concerned about hair loss then check out the thread on essential oils for hair growth, the hair loss support thread over on the mane forum, and threads on indian herbs.....supplements would be an idea to look at too.
    Good luck
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

regarding the photos of alleged darkening qualities of shampoos bars w/castor oil, I see no darkening whatsoever, once you discount the second photo where the lighting is wrong. The first and third photos look exactly the same to me, color wise.
    (pre-LHC)