Page 1 of 267 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Castor oil for hair growth?

I've been reading on another board how they use castor oil for major eyelash and eyebrow growth....has anyone used this on the scalp and seen major hair growth from it? Thanks!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

I get build up from castor oil on my scalp and hair. I can't use it in any products because of it. Granted I have hard water.....that makes a difference.

Length
    25ish/35/40ish
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Yes! I used it for my scalp massages earlier when I had problems with my hairline. It really helped.
    Animum rege: qui nisi paret, imperat.
    --------------------------------------

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Yes, I have used it few years ago. But I was making a mistake - I was using it straight, undiluted. It's so thick and sticky I had to shampoo 2-3 times to get it all out, and still it was leaving me with build-up. But I think it helped in the regrowth.

I reccomend you dilute it with another lighter-weight oil like coconut, sweet almond or sunflower oil.

About the eyelash and eyebrow growth, I'm seeing a greater difference in the thickness. I guess that's because these have a much shorter growth cycle and terminal length than hair on the scalp, so you get more obvious results quickly.
    Murphy' Law of Technology No.51:
    Any attempt to print Murphy's laws will jam the printer.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Does it seem like it actually encourages more hair to grow, or is it plumping the existing hairs (which I have heard castor oil does)?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I have used castor oil on my scalp for almost a year (mixed with avocado oil, which is lighter and is also said to encourage growth). My hair grew incredibly well all last year (I went from BSL and am now less than an inch shy of tailbone - all this with regular trims).
    I stopped using castor oil over the past two months (due to lack of time) and my hair has grown significantly slower. I know hair tends to grow slower in the winter, but still - I'm thinking there's probably a link. Of course, scalp massages themselves help, too, but I'm pretty certain the castor oil gave my hair growth a boost, too. At least on me
    I won't be taking this step out of my routine anymore.

I do have a dry skin (and therefore scalp), and don't have any build-up problem, even though I use a very mild shampoo (no SLS). I might have to apply shampoo twice to make sure I've rinsed it out completely (especially now I live in London and the water is harder), but it's no biggie for me. Be sure to warm up the oil in a bowl over a pan of hot water to make it more fluid.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Isa-belle View Post
    I have used castor oil on my scalp for almost a year (mixed with avocado oil, which is lighter and is also said to encourage growth). My hair grew incredibly well all last year (I went from BSL and am now less than an inch shy of tailbone - all this with regular trims).
    I stopped using castor oil over the past two months (due to lack of time) and my hair has grown significantly slower. I know hair tends to grow slower in the winter, but still - I'm thinking there's probably a link. Of course, scalp massages themselves help, too, but I'm pretty certain the castor oil gave my hair growth a boost, too. At least on me
    I won't be taking this step out of my routine anymore.

I do have a dry skin (and therefore scalp), and don't have any build-up problem, even though I use a very mild shampoo (no SLS). I might have to apply shampoo twice to make sure I've rinsed it out completely (especially now I live in London and the water is harder), but it's no biggie for me. Be sure to warm up the oil in a bowl over a pan of hot water to make it more fluid.

i'm really really interested in your castor/avocado oil mix to add along to my other hair projects and routines.

how did you use it? as a scalp treatment or for your whole length? how much did you use? how often? once you washed it out, did you notice if it left your hair feeling greasy or anything?

did you notice any significant shedding when you stopped?
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I use castor for my OCM washes, mixed with other oils. Lately, because my pregnant belly is so huge, I have been mixing castor with wheat germ oil and using it as an all-over oil - OCM, body moisturizing, and a bit on the ends of my hair whenever it gets damp. My hair has been softer and seems to be growing fast, but this is undoubtedly due to hormones!

I have to be really careful with oils as my hair gets greasy very fast, but find that castor-wheat germ is a very forgiving combination. However, I only rarely oil my scalp, and that is only before I am going to go swimming.

Since I really love what this oil mix is doing for my skin, and since I can't be bothered to use separate oils for skin and hair, I will keep using it. However, it is not clear to me that castor is really doing anything for my hair growth...I don't believe there is really anything you can put on your scalp to make your hair grow faster!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bene View Post
    i'm really really interested in your castor/avocado oil mix to add along to my other hair projects and routines.

how did you use it? as a scalp treatment or for your whole length? how much did you use? how often? once you washed it out, did you notice if it left your hair feeling greasy or anything?

did you notice any significant shedding when you stopped?
    Hi Bene, I used this mainly as a scalp treatment - if I have a bit leftover I will "wipe" my hands in my hair, lol . While I do the scalp treatment, I usually treat my length and ends with another oil that is better suited for it - camellia, sweet almond or hemp for instance. I leave the whole for at least 30 minutes before shampooing, but if I can, I leave it in longer - sometimes overnight, but most of the time at least an hour.

I wash my hair every 6 to 8 days (the more I wear my hair up, the longer I can stretch the interval between shampoos) and no, my hair does not feel greasy at all after it's been shampooed. I can't stand greasy hair so I would wash it more often if it did feel greasy.
    I do have dry hair and scalp to start with, though. This is something to take into account, but I do believe warming the mix carefully and mixing the castor oil with a lighter oil, does help.

I did not notice any more shedding *at all*, no - this does not work like Monistat

I also meant to warn everyone here - castor oil is definitely darkening, so please be aware of this if your hair is light-coloured and you like it this way.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

thank you for answering, i am definitely trying this once i get my hands on the ingredients
    Last edited by Bene; January 12th, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"