Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

I think older ladies have the right to wear their hair however it pleases them- we are in the year 2014, after all!

My personal opinion is, if you can maintain it yourself and keep it in good health, why not have it tail bone length? Classic? Longer?

It's no one's business but your own! And should anyone tell you otherwise, tell 'em to shove it! You've been around long enough not to give a hootin' holler what anybody thinks!! (they're probably just jealous, anyways..)

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

I'm over 50 and my hair is an inch shy of BCL, and I have no intention of ever cutting it. I wear it up almost always so no one really knows how long it is. I've never had any negative comments on it since I was a teenager and my mother kept pestering me to cut it. Mothers do seem to have issues when their daughters keep their hair long. I don't know why anyone feels the need to I impose their values concerning hair styles on others. I think it's not so much jealousy as a feeling that someone has values different from their own and it feels threatening somehow. Why, I can't imagine. As you can see, OP, if you ever need someone to back you up, you've come to the right place. We like long hair on men and women of all ages.

Length
    3-6/15/25
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I don't think it matters- as long as the woman is happy with her hair, who cares??

Type
    2b/M/ii

Yes, that is definitely where I'm standing firm...as LONG as I like it (pun intended;-)! I've decided since I've been blessed with it and so far only 5 silver grey hairs I'm going to see how long I can handle it since the weight is more of an issue during summer months (AZ summers are brutal no matter the hair style!). Does any one have pics to show?

Length
    14/37/45-50
    Type
    1b/F/iii

My 67 year old mother has mentioned how frequently other women tell her she should cut her hair, and hers is only to the bottom of her rib cage! Her pony tail is thicker than mine, which is 4.5 inches. The only reason I can imagine for her to need to cut it would be to reduce weight. Despite this, when I see her she always asks me if her long hair makes her look like a witch.

After putting some thought into it, it seems to me there are some unrelated to peer pressure contributing factors to older women feeling that they should cut their hair. Most people experience hair loss as they age, be they women or men. As a result, in order to maintain a full looking blunt ends as the number of hairs decreases, it becomes necessary to cut the hair shorter in proportion to the amount of hair loss. People who value that aesthetic (like me) would want to keep up the look. Not to mention, taking care of long hair does take a certain amount of care and energy, and sometimes it is nicer to have one less responsibility.

It is interesting that women get the message that it is appropriate to shorten one's hair as one ages so strongly from society. I'm only 27 and have caught myself wondering if it is time for me to cut my hair. (Despite having cut it to about 1 inch long 5 years ago.) No one has told me I should cut it, but I have gotten plenty of questions about when I plan to do so. My answer is that I cut my hair when I feel like it--usually around every 3-5 months.

That being said, although the women in my family aren't going to be told what to do by haters, all of those unsolicited negative opinions can produce some doubt. That's why I'm glad I've found a place for long hair camaraderie. I can't wait to show this thread to my mother!

Never ever, ever let other people tell you what you should be, look like, wear etc !!! Be who you want to be and do what you like, as long as you are happy and not hurting anyone else then there's no problem. I have had the same comment from my mum about length, she said "don't you think women who are of a certain age shouldn't have such long hair ?" My reply was "Since when have I ever 'done' what other people 'think' I should do Mum ? If I get to my 70's and my hair is at my knees and I look like a witch then GOOD !! Witches are pretty cool in my book !"

Length
    15/27.75/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Welcome. I am also new to LHC. I have learned a lot about how to have healthy hair. I didn't start growing my hair until my late 40's. For several decades I kept my hair short 2-3". I never really thought about hair length, only that it looked good and would stay in place all day. I decided it was time for a change when I realized it was growing so fast, so fast that I thought it would need to be cut every two weeks. That was 4 years ago, I am still letting it grow. I am now in my early 50's and it is between BSL and MBL. I haven't gotten comments to cut it, but I do get a lot of "your hair is so long" and an occasional you could donate it. I am sure that you find the support and encouragement that you need to keep your length here on LHC. Healthy, well taken care of long hair is beautiful at any age.

Length
    2/2/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

It seems to me that shorter hair only became associated with mature women in the last half-century or so. I don't know what caused it. My grandmother, who is turning 70 and had hip-length hair during my mother's childhood, has just decided to grow her hair out from the short crop she's had my entire life. If you can grow long beautiful hair, do it!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ypena3 View Post
    Yes, that is definitely where I'm standing firm...as LONG as I like it (pun intended;-)! I've decided since I've been blessed with it and so far only 5 silver grey hairs I'm going to see how long I can handle it since the weight is more of an issue during summer months (AZ summers are brutal no matter the hair style!). Does any one have pics to show?
    Here you are, Ypena3, I will be 50 on my next birthday and need at least another foot of hair!

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    shldr/mdbk/hip

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rapunzel View Post
    My advice: Au courage! If you want longhair, go for it regardless of your age! I didn't have long hair until I was around 58 years old. Always had loved long hair but didn't seem to be able to grow mine out. Then, with the helpful suggestions of longhairs on this forum, I achieved the longhair of my dreams. Now, having just turned 66 today, I still have longhair and love it!

Below are some photos of my longhair experience in my 60's:

I've cut back and am now a couple of inches above waist and still loving it! Go for it!! Don't let the opinion of others hold you back!
    Wow. Your hair is awesome!