Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a newbie in the Big Sky Country

Length
    11/25/36
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Smile Hello from a newbie in the Big Sky Country

Hello everyone! I'm making some radical changes to my hair care routine and figured this would be an excellent place to start. Since yesterday morning I've forsworn shampoo, and since late May I've let my hair grow, with the hopes of gaining length and maintaining it. The last four years have been fraught with (black) dyes, harsh shampoos, a blow drier, dull hair razors, and all manner of damaging no-no activities. It stops here and now. I may need a couple of "you can do it"s down the line but for now I'm just gonna act as a sponge, soaking up info on how to care for my hair and avoid many of the worst pit-falls. If anyone's in the same boat I am, I'd love a hair growing buddy or two to swap tips, advice, and support during the unruly stages. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Hello from a newbie in the Big Sky Country

Welcome.
    "You are never fully dressed without a smile!"

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Welcome, Faralie!

You're definitely on the right track, I wish you speedy growth and magical hair strength!

(Ps, I'm a summertime resident of the treasure state, enjoy that sky!)

Length
    11/25/36
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Thanks! So far so good. I guess a little more info, I've got nearly shoulder length 1a/f/i-ii mousey brown hair. Growing out from a short pixie. Startibg a new job in two weeks, so I'm hoping to get through the icky adjustment phase before then. Using the bs/v method in a very diluted mixture with cocoa powder and corn starch as a leave in shampoo to help with the oil and lack of happy smelling shampoo. I smell like chocolate now, lol.

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hello! I'm trying to change everything about my hair care routine also. I joined LHC about a month ago and have been doing the sponge thing and soaking up all info also. One of the things that show difference right the next day was silk sleep cap. Of course besides looking absolutely sexy and styling it protects my hair from matting up in the back (if that is a problem for you, I thought I'd suggest anyway). I'm not brave enough to try my own recipes for hair care yet. I love chocolate! How do you walk around smelling like chocolate and not just want to eat your hair

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    11/25/36
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Bahaha! It's not so bad for me because it's localized on my scalp. It's the animals of the household (including my husband) that can't stand it. He's asked twice now if we have chocolate at home. Lol, subliminal messaging? If you don't mind my asking, what got added/scratched from your routine?

Length
    ?/30"/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

Hi Faralie, I am also new to LHC, and recently changed my hair care routine. Trying to grow my hair longer in time for my wedding next year. I am not ready to give up shampoo yet, but hopefully one day, I do try just to use shampoo once a week and then the rest of the time WO. I have seen changes in my hair, which is awesome, and maby even some growth .

Length
    3"/29"/36"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Way to go! Your hair will thank you for it. Do you still have any old dye or damaged razored ends in your hair?

I'm growing out old highlights, they really have damaged my hair so much more than I thought one round of highlights could ever do. But they definitely feel better without the shampoo stripping them now.

You can do it!

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Faralie View Post
    Thanks! So far so good. I guess a little more info, I've got nearly shoulder length 1a/f/i-ii mousey brown hair. Growing out from a short pixie. Startibg a new job in two weeks, so I'm hoping to get through the icky adjustment phase before then. Using the bs/v method in a very diluted mixture with cocoa powder and corn starch as a leave in shampoo to help with the oil and lack of happy smelling shampoo. I smell like chocolate now, lol.
    I don't want to sound dire and scare you off if it's working for you, but the 'no poo' baking soda/vinegar method damaged my hair! I tried it out when I was first getting into more natural hair care four years ago, and over three months it made my hair drydryDRY and much more prone to breakage and splits. It took me months to rectify the moisture issues, and the damage is still there from about mid-back down (I'm at hip-ish).

I'm sure it works very well for some people, or there wouldn't be so many advocates, so I hope that's your case! I just wanted to share my experience. Like all things Hair, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I tried the BS/ ACV when I was first starting my long hair journey. If I could give you advice, it would be to stop the BS now, and switch to CO washing for now. Then you can try out some other methods from there. I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars as they are sulphate free. Baking Soda is too drying for long hair IMO.

I did about six to eight weeks of Baking Soda washes, but luckily I was only doing it 2-3 times a week, not every day. Still, I fear that a year later, I have less than perfect ends due to this as well as the sun lightening that seems to come naturally with my moderately outdoor lifestyle.