Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-made hairtoy SWAP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Red face Self-made hairtoy SWAP!

Let's swap our self-made, homemade, handcrafted hair toys, hair products, and hair-related goodies!

Deadline for entry will be October 15, 2013, with a mail-out date of January 30, 2014. The length of the swap will allow for adequate time to round-up supplies, craft pieces, and avoid the holiday mail rush with a mail-out date at the end of January 2014.

Requirements are to PM me with your address/mailing information and to post the following information in this thread:

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks
    Bun diameter
    Allergies to things that could potentially be used (for example, particular nut allergies where oil could be used to finish a toy)
    Likes and dislikes
    Willingness to ship internationally
    List of things you can make (so someone who only wears forks doesn't get matched with someone who can only make sticks and hair clips)
    Note whether you would prefer wood with a waterproof finish where possible or if that doesn't matter to you

Crafts that can be included are carving sticks and forks, topping pre-made sticks, knitting-needle sticks/forks, decorating barrettes/clips/pins, knitting and crochet of calorimetries, hats, hoods, scarves. Feel free to include some of your homemade hair potions, lotions, creams, and conditioners, too! Do you make shampoo bars? Yes, yes, yes! Send 'em!

Have a toy you want to pass along? Rules are you have to modify it in some way. Get crafty!

Let's put a cap of $35 spent on supplies...

I will PM participants with the name and address of your giftee within a few days of October 15. Give us (Seeshami will be helping me if I can't handle it all!) She and I will check to make sure we are matched up crafters to craftees.

This should be super-fun and could wind up being epic if we get enough crafty folks together!
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Self-made hairtoy SWAP!

Yay! I'll start!

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks:
    5"(topped) or 6"(not topped)
    Bun diameter:
    4"(ish)
    Allergies:
    None
    Hair sticks (plain, topped, with dangles... I love them all)
    Hair forks
    Wood
    Metal
    Bright colours
    Dark colours
    Sparkly/shiny things
    Hair jewellery/decorative stuff
    Dislikes:
    Blue, orange and yellow (clashes with the henna)
    Pale/pastel colours
    Barrettes (the type with the springy clasp, they rip my hair out)
    Lotions and potions and shampoo bars
    Knitted/crocheted things (not strictly a dislike, but I've already got more than I get time to wear)
    Willingness to ship internationally:
    Yes
    List of things you can make:
    Polymer clay hair sticks
    Wooden hair sticks (carved, not waterproof, light coloured wood, finished with walnut oil)
    Note whether you would prefer wood with a waterproof finish where possible or if that doesn't matter to you:
    Doesn't matter to me
    Last edited by kaydana; October 10th, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Length
    CBL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

I'm in!

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks - Nothing over 6". I can work some 4" stuff...and anything 5-6" is my usual working length I like.

Bun diameter - 5-6" depending on bun and loose/tightness. And about 9" around my bun.

Allergies to things that could potentially be used - Nothing that I'm aware of.

Likes - Hair sticks, Hair forks, Wood, metal and acrylic for materials. I like fancy, topped or simple. Love butterflies and bugs and flowers. Like bright colors - purple, blue, teal, pink and silver. Beaded things, carved items, natural stones. Whimsical things. Unicorns. Curvy shaped sticks, Celtic, Horses, Owls, Foxes, Sparkly....I enjoy the scents of Lilac, Vanilla, Citrus, Magnolia, Jasmine and Tea.

Dislikes - Gold, Barrettes with metal clips. Straight bobby pins are usually okay...but that's about it. Anything sulfatey or coney for hair or body stuff - also no Lavender/Eucalyptus scented. Anything too heavy or top heavy as it's hard to keep it in my hair. Not crazy about orange in my hair.

Willingness to ship internationally - Sure.

List of things you can make - Wooden hair sticks - topped or un-topped - Not usually waterproofed. Carved. Or pre-made ones with my own toppers. Knitting needle sticks and forks/pins. Polymer clay toppers for sticks. Crochet hats/headband/earwarmers/scarves. Straight pins with decor.

Note whether you would prefer wood with a waterproof finish where possible or if that doesn't matter to you - Doesn't matter to me.
    Last edited by AspenSong; October 1st, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    *Lady Nyx, Possessor of The bewhytchd Lens*

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Me, me, me!!!

I'm very new to hairtoys, and don't have a lot of knowledge, but will do my best!

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks: 4 or 5" Nothing over 3/8" diameter, please

Bun diameter 3" somewhere close?

Allergies none

Likes -- I'm earthy and outdoorsy, but quirky. I like simple things from natural materials. I would adore a carved stick or fork, or a metal hairstick, leather would be nice, too! Beads and embellishments are fine. I'd also like a sparkely or beaded hairtoy for church. I prefer autumn colors: yellow, gold, orange, green, teal, brown, <--any shade of those is lovely. (I'm very laid-back, and quirky enough that most things make me quite happy.)

dislikes: Giant dangles, pink, purple. Nothing heavy, please. My hair is pretty short yet!

Willingness to ship internationally: of course

List of things you can make:
    antler forks up to 5" (It's hard to find them longer), antler sticks (any length) Note: My antler products may be from a hunted or roadkilled animal. My family hunts, and we eat (if there is room in the freezer) or donate (if the freezer is full) the venison. The antlers are usually discarded. DH might have more sheds in his stash, or I might be able to find some, but can't guarantee it. I think it's a lovely tribute to the animal to have it's antlers made into hair adornment, but others may not. I don't want to mislead anyone, or conjure up negative emotions or energy.
    Mininalistic hardwood (maple, oak, walnut...) hairsticks
    Knit and crochet items: hats, scarves, headbands, flowers for vintage updos.

finish I don't care. Surprise me!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Minimum 4 inch functional length. Maximum 6.5 inches.

Bun diameter
    Cinnamon bun measured at 5.25 inches

Allergies to things that could potentially be used (for example, particular nut allergies where oil could be used to finish a toy)
    None

Colorwise autumn pallet pretty much covers it. Less eye catching, more seen in nature every day. I love turquoise and amber for example!
    Sticks, forks, faux flexis, slides, stretchy headbands.
    Any material.

Dislikes
    Barrettes.
    Scents.
    Sparkles.

Yes.

List of things you can make (so someone who only wears forks doesn't get matched with someone who can only make sticks and hair clips)
    Sticks and forks out of wood. Cloth flower decorations. Stretchy headbands.

Note whether you would prefer wood with a waterproof finish where possible or if that doesn't matter to you
    Waterproof finishes are awesome, but I totally understand if you don't want to go there.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Mmmhmmm.... Ok I'm in .

5 inches to 5 1/2 inches.

Bun diameter

Mmhm Cinnabun diameter is 12-14 (wrapped around), accross the bun is about 6 1/2 inches. Braided buns are smaller.

Wool.

Hair toys, single and double sticks, forks ( I only own one) and I'd love a moon. I wear a lot of braids, those cheap no damage elastic that can't be reused are my to go. I love lace ribbons. I'm fairly easy to please hair toy wise, I do better with thinner sticks than thick ones.
    I like deep colors like blood red and rich emmeral greens, silver and gold, I like pink, LOVE halloween stuff, vampire stuff, dragons (I LOVE dragons) and celtic/norse stuff, fairytale stuff, sailormoon. I'm a winter pallette really, so I like bold colors. Love sparkly stuff. I Loooove black! Wolves, bats, rainassance stuff. Anything that looks wicked. I'm really into comic books, super villains, and spooky grim stuff and heavy literature mostly Russian, play AD&D and I have my eye on dice sticks. I only wear black and I love lace.

Scents and concoctions, I love sandalwood and dragonsblood, and vanilla an cinnamon. Love unicorns, black kitties, I have guinea pigs at home, so silly hats would be awesome!
    Dislikes

solid browns, blues of pretty much any kind. Coppers are meh, don't care much for them.I accept pagan/norse stuff, otherwise no religious.

Yes.

List of things you can make (so someone who only wears forks doesn't get matched with someone who can only make sticks and hair clips) Hair slides mostly, leather ponytail holders. My sticks aren't that great, they catch, but I'll send the hair slides with sticks but make the hole big enough to wear with other sticks. I can do leather stuff mainly and if I can't I can bribe DH . I can make belt buckles too and non-hair related stuff like belts, fancy bracelets, anything medieval pretty much, wallets and anything that can be wrapped in leather. I can knit. Note that I work with animal products so someone who's vegan might not be a good match.

I'd love waterproof stuff, but I have finish for sticks at home so I can do that myself without any worry. I love homemade things, really anything will be awesome. Love parandas, I don't have one yet and I'd love to own one specially a black one (or two!) of soft yarn. I live in wetland too.
    Last edited by leslissocool; October 9th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Red face Re: Self-made hairtoy SWAP!

Princess Bob wants to play!

I prefer at least 4.75" FPL for forks with more than three prongs or closer to 5.5" minimum on a 2 prong fork and 6" FL on sticks. After 7" functional things get a little big for wearing around Snuggles, he might get impaled. However, my longest pair is around 10" long and if it is unique and interesting enough, I just might wear them anyways whether or not my spouse is about.

Bun diameter
    Depends, my wider flat cinnabuns buns are about 4.75"-5" across the center (1.5" tall), but can be as little as 3.75" across the center if they are tightly bee butted (in which case they are 3.25" tall). Infinity/figure 8 buns are about 7" at their widest, 2+" at narrowest point (height variable, at least 1.25").

Allergies to things that could potentially be used
    I am severely allergic to Onions, Chives, Shallots, Scallions, and Leeks. This is used in food as well as some natural dyes. Food-wise, I don't like walnuts and pecans.

While I am not allergic, I will make note that my long haired support cat has access to all parts of my home and sometimes helps with the crocheting.

Likes and dislikes
    I don't like danglies. I don't feel comfortable trying to use wood sticks less than 1/4" thick. I like most anything that isn't easily tangled in hair or broken. I don't like french style barrettes with springy claspy things. If it has seams, I have to sand the heck out if it before I can wear it in my hair (this doesn't apply to sewn seams...).

I like sticks in pairs and triplets. I like well sanded wood, but am not afraid of sanding it myself if I need it even smoother. I like forks and hair pins with well rounded and smooth tips; nothing too stabby or snaggy. I like things that aren't too heavy, or that the weight of which can be well distributed, so as not to pull on any one spot (I am tender scalped).

I love circlets, and satin ribbons, and braid embellishments.

I like leather, wood, metal, acrylic. If you are crocheting or knitting, I like soft yarn, not scratchy. I get along with soft wool, cotton, bamboo, silk and when it comes to acrylic think Caron simply soft and Lion homespun, rather than Caron one pound or Redheart supersaver. I have fibromyalgia and textures that are too harsh easily trigger a flare up of fibro pain for me. I like satin, cotton, broad line corduroy, linnen, et cetera, and dislike polyester.

My personal style has a spooky, nerdy, mishmash mystique going on. Like a geeky gothic hippy pirate fairy gypsy witch. I like spirals, and leaves and geometric shapes, and tentacles, and weird, and unique. I think of the chaos star as my personal emblem.

Themes; I like classic video games, anime, sci-fi (like Dr. Who, Firefly, Star Trek, et cetera), fantasy (everything from classic fairy tales to Urban Fantasy like Dresden Files), horror (but not spiders), Japanese culture and language, magick and paganism related items, role-playing games (like D&D and Shadowrun), and so much more.

Colors: I don't like gold and therefore many yellow tones also are not well liked by me. Unless it's neon paired with black, probably feel free to skip the pink tones, also. I like Rainbow, black, silver purple, deep blues, bluer shades of red, solid carrot oranges are okay, as are most shades of green.

Scents: I don't like or use perfume, but some herbal oils are pleasant to me, like eucalyptus, sweet grass, mints, lemongrass, sage, and lavender. I also like "foodie" scents like caramel popcorn and cinnamon stick, chocolate, toasted marshmallow, and things like that.

Vesuvius loves things that dangle and swing so if you are a cat toy crafter do have at. :P

Prefer to ship to US, but if it comes to it I can ship western hemisphere.

List of things you can
    make

I crochet mostly, can make bun covers, scarves, calorimetries, hats, snoods, barrettes with crocheted decoration, et cetera. I can also do some light leather work, and simple sewing.

Living where I live, I have learned that everything will get doused in a rainstorm eventually, so I normally ask for "not wood" as I have plenty of wood that sits around for most of the year, but I do love wood crafted sticks and would just be happy to see what comes to me... I guess it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by PrincessBob; October 5th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Length
    2/22/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I am still new (but have a swap score!) and want to participate
    Preferred functional length of sticks/forks: 4 -5 inches. I prefer pairs of sticks.

Bun diameter: about 3 inches wide...I can measure the diameter and edit/add. My hair is between APL and BSL. I tend to do a messy cinnabun when I bun, but my go to up-do is "tails up".

Allergies to things that could potentially be used (for example, particular nut allergies where oil could be used to finish a toy): No allergies

Likes: Teal is my fave color. Blues and purples, all metals and woods. Cats. Tentacles. Stars, moons, math. Cats. Outer space themes. I'm a sci fi writer, professionally, so nerdy is appreciated. My personal style is kind of Lagenlook/layered boho nerd. Silk, satin, bamboo, glass. Cats. Sleep bonnets.
    I am a vegetarian, but leather is OK, if it is recycled/upcycled. I'm a knitter, so knitting needle hair stuff would be cool.

Dislikes: Metal barrettes or clips, unless they are very damage safe. Warm colors are not my thing. I don't like glitter, bling, or rhinestones--much prefer simple curved shapes. I don't wear headbands at all. Please no spin pins.

Willingness to ship internationally: sure!

List of things you can make (so someone who only wears forks doesn't get matched with someone who can only make sticks and hair clips): Knit snoods, hats, caliometries, kerchiefs. Also, I make Kanzashi, blended hair oils, topped hair sticks. Once in awhile, I play with metal.

Note whether you would prefer wood with a waterproof finish where possible or if that doesn't matter to you: Like PrincessBob, I live in rainland. Waterproof is appreciated, but I love my non-waterproof wood stuff anyway and don't mind more.
    Last edited by caren; October 9th, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: corrected horrible spelling errors
    From pixie (cut off dreads)>chin>APL. On my way to waist. Next stop: BSL. Lady Purl, Of The Last Galaxy, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Type
    1a/F/i

4"-6" for sticks, no more than 4 1/2" for forks. My hair is very thin and fine and I can go as short as 3" if need be.

Bun diameter

About 3 1/2- 4".

I'm deathly allergic to furry critters. Cats in particular. I know this seems an out of place allergy for hair toys, but I know a lot of folks here have said critters and as the toy would be going on my head (near my face ie: ground zero), this could be an issue. If the toy isn't made out of something that I can't clean to some extent to remove any possible dander, then some care would need to be taken when making said toy (ie: washing hands first, not letting critters near toys, etc).

Geeky stuff (Star Wars, Transformers, Firefly, MST3K, etc)
    Gothic stuff
    Horror stuff
    Fantasy stuff
    Anything to do with Fall and/or Halloween
    Colors: Black, red, orange, purple, blue, and green are my favorites. I'll take white if blue is involved (or the candy corn color scheme). Also copper, bronze, and silver are my fave metals.
    Scents: Almond, roses, cloves, cinnamon, anise, vanilla, honey, citrus and anything woodsy and smokey.

Dislikes

Anything cute or overtly feminine (ie: fluffy, big eyes, etc). Sorry, I'm a tomboy.
    Colors: Pastels or pretty much anything in the Easter/Spring palette. This mostly applies to pink. Also, muddy browns.
    Scents: Other than roses, I don't like flowery, uber-feminine scents.
    Dangles unless they're lightweight.

Yes

List of things you can make

I make mostly hair sticks either out of knitting needles or wood, barrettes and decorated pins. I can also do forks but they're very primitive and rudimentary due to a complete lack of power tools and any real training in wood carving.

I prefer waterproof re: animal dander allergies.

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I AM IN!!!

Preferred functional length of sticks/forks- 6-7 inches
    Bun diameter- 5.5 inches
    Allergies- banana, pink
    Likes- yellow, sparkly, bats, pineapples, belly dancing, kitties, teal, purple, silver, Halloween, virgo stuff, blue, bats, gemstones, crystals, rocks, minerals, specimens, marimo, coins, bells.
    Dislikes-pink, gold, brown, bananas
    I ship everywhere. It fits I ships.
    I decorate sticks, make double pointed knitting needle pins and sticks, as well as bundazzles

The Naughty Mess asks for waterproofbut does not demand, he hates clips, sticks, bands, covers, cages and all Mess Restraints equally so all hair decorations and toys are good.

Edit:
    I went through etsy when I knew I had no money to spend on fun things and added them to the things I love list to make this easier

https://www.etsy.com/people/TheAngel...f=favs_index_1
    Last edited by Seeshami; October 23rd, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

The naughty mess says, "I plead innocent!"
    Should have kept your snaggles off the keyboard and plead the 5th.