Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm new and I clearly need some serious hair help :(

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default I'm new and I clearly need some serious hair help :(

I joined this site because I can't figure out what I need to do with my hair. I want it to grow long, very, very long, but I can't seem to keep it healthy. I feel like I've tried everything. Last year I was washing my hair using pretty expensive "all-natural" shampoos and conditioners, only washing two or three times a week, and using leave-in treatments, olive oil, leave-in conditioners, etc. I used a lot of products geared towards ethnic hair because I felt like they were the most moisturizing. I went a while without getting a trim and my hair became pretty damaged so I got a lot cut off. Then I tried letting it grow again. I got inspired by my boyfriends hair (he has beautiful waist length hair) and all he does is use cheap Suave brand shampoos and conditioners and hardly ever brushes his hair. So I started doing that and quickly realized my hair wasn't going to put up with the cheap stuff so I started using conditioner only to see if that would make a difference. My hair started getting bad again after growing maybe an inch over about five months. I also take biotin supplements. So my mom got me some Wen, which I don't think I will use again after I finish this bottle because my hair isn't getting any better. I got a trim 3 weeks ago and am already seeing split and broken ends. This is after washing my hair 2 or 3 times a week using only Wen, brushing my hair only the next day after it has dried, using ACV to get a good thorough cleanse every two weeks, and using no other products on my hair whatsoever. I haven't used a blow dryer in a year and I haven't used a straightening or curling iron in at least 3 years and I haven't dyed my hair in 3 years. And yet my hair continues to look awful and unhealthy. I am currently pregnant so I wonder if that could have something to do with it, and if so, can anyone give me some advice to help me get my hair looking healthy? It hasn't look extremely healthy in years and it makes me sad. I want to grow about six inches by a little over a year from now (for my wedding next summer.)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: I'm new and I clearly need some serious hair help :(

It takes a long long time for damage to grow out. 3 years heat free, means there is still damage in your hair, if it's at least a bit past shoulder length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    10cm/75cm/100+
    Type
    1b/M/ii

It sounds like you might need to focus on your diet a little more and include things like seaweed, especially Kelp & more fresh fruit & veggies, as more nutrients in the diet = better hair condition. Sometimes being pregnant will actually make your hair fall out more than usual and look a little lackluster , be patient, it often grows a little faster during pregnancy, as well! I would go with a very mild shampoo and an ACV rinse for cleansing, even treat yourself to a herbal hair rinse, and dry slowly, even wrapped up in silk (the silk makes hair SO soft)
    Good luck!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You can attach a photo if you go to photobucket or other photo hosting service, get an account, upload a picture to there, then copy/paste it to here. I have no idea what you mean by "looks unhealthy."

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    It takes a long long time for damage to grow out. 3 years heat free, means there is still damage in your hair, if it's at least a bit past shoulder length.
    Wow, I didn't realize it would effect my hair for so long... Never using heat again, if I can help it...

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Angelica View Post
    It sounds like you might need to focus on your diet a little more and include things like seaweed, especially Kelp & more fresh fruit & veggies, as more nutrients in the diet = better hair condition. Sometimes being pregnant will actually make your hair fall out more than usual and look a little lackluster , be patient, it often grows a little faster during pregnancy, as well! I would go with a very mild shampoo and an ACV rinse for cleansing, even treat yourself to a herbal hair rinse, and dry slowly, even wrapped up in silk (the silk makes hair SO soft)
    Good luck!
    Thank you, I have been thinking it might have something to do with my diet...I was hoping I could just use other methods to getting it to be healthy looking, like maybe there was some miracle product or method I have never heard of before... Guess there's no way around it, though...

Length
    13/31/Donno
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

You could look into hair masks or deep conditioning treatments while you wait for better hair to grow in. Really baby what you have.
    ISO: Medium or Small leopard, border, or silky Logo ficcare
    Pixie to TBL. Cut back to waist, thinking of going shorter

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    You can attach a photo if you go to photobucket or other photo hosting service, get an account, upload a picture to there, then copy/paste it to here. I have no idea what you mean by "looks unhealthy."
    I don't have any decent pictures showing the texture of my hair in good lighting...I will post one tomorrow because I just took a shower so it's wet right now.

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Quasiquixotic View Post
    You could look into hair masks or deep conditioning treatments while you wait for better hair to grow in. Really baby what you have.
    What are some good ones I can use? Apparently none of the ones I have tried before have done much good So I guess I don't really know what I'm doing...

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Joico KPak Reconstructor is really good, also Regis Designline moisture balm.