Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Length
    22"/22"/28"
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

I think middle aged women with long hair look like old school hippies (the cool kind, not the annoying younger generation hippies) or metalheads. Both of these types of people are cool in my book.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

I am 10 years older than you and have gotten all of the usual "you're too old for long hair" crap. It it not jealousy as some seem to think. It is nothing more than what society expects in this day and age. 100 years ago, only the young and stylish would have short hair. Nowadays it is just the opposite and anyone bucking society's expectations gets criticized. Grow your hair to any length you want and enjoy it!

Length
    Bob/FTL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I say "if you've got it and you want it: grow it!" Nothing wrong with long hair after fifty - my godmother is in her 60s and has classic length hair and it looks fantastic!
    I do agree that wearing it down can give a hippie vibe, but personally I think grey/greying long hair looks great in buns and updos - a sort of Minerva McGonagall look
    Either way though, it's your hair, do what you want with it!

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Welcome to LHC. There is no age limit on hair.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Length
    //Thigh//
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I used to get negative comments like that when I was in my 30's. Sheesh! I kept asking myself, "what's wrong with having it longer?" Oh well, now I don't care. In fact when I see an 'older woman' with very long hair, I stop to compliment her.

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

I'm 44 and almost at waist length. I have no plans on cutting my hair just to make someone else happy. Some of the loveliest heads of hair I've seen have been on women close to my age or older.
    I hope you enjoy your long hair!

Length
    30/34/40
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Reading your post, it seems you're happy with your long hair as it is, and this is the only important thing.
    People always comment about everything "different", most of the times negatively.
    Don't mind about that. I think that's ALL, JUST, ENVY, nothing more.
    Plus I think that long hair make people look younger, hiding many flaws and signs of time.
    Welcome on the Long Hair Community, here nobody will ever tell you that you're too old for long hair!
    And now I'm very curious to see it!

Length
    15 in/30 in/24
    Type
    2b/F/ii

My advice: Au courage! If you want longhair, go for it regardless of your age! I didn't have long hair until I was around 58 years old. Always had loved long hair but didn't seem to be able to grow mine out. Then, with the helpful suggestions of longhairs on this forum, I achieved the longhair of my dreams. Now, having just turned 66 today, I still have longhair and love it!

Below are some photos of my longhair experience in my 60's:

I've cut back and am now a couple of inches above waist and still loving it! Go for it!! Don't let the opinion of others hold you back!
    Last edited by Red Rapunzel; March 15th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rapunzel View Post
    My advice: Au courage! If you want longhair, go for it regardless of your age! I didn't have long hair until I was around 58 years old. Always had loved long hair but didn't seem to be able to grow mine out. Then, with the helpful suggestions of longhairs on this forum, I achieved the longhair of my dreams. Now, having just turned 66 today, I still have longhair and love it!

I've cut back and am now a couple of inches above waist and still loving it! Go for it!! Don't let the opinion of others hold you back!
    Red Rapunzel, you're a person after my own heart! Such beautiful hair! Happy Birthday!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I have only gotten criticism for having long hair from my father. I think he's still fixated on how women wore their hair in the 1950s.

I think it's pretty close to gorgeous, personally (but I do have some bad hair days; doesn't everybody?).
    spidermom, it's not "close to gorgeous." It is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rapunzel View Post

Red Rapunzel, happy birthday. Your hair is beautiful! I wish mine would grow that long.

I will be 55 in a few weeks. (How the heck did that happen?) I have had long hair for most of my life. Currently, it's a little past waist.

My grandmother wore her hair in a bun all the time. I remember seeing it down once when she was getting ready for bed. She was probably in her late 60's at the time. It was absolutely stunning. If I remember correctly, it was about hip length.

As a total aside, she met my grandfather when she was 16. She walked into a barbershop to get her long hair trimmed. He was working there while he studied to be a teacher. He trimmed her hair and fell in love with her that day.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small