Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Length
    SL/42/??
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

My Granny had long (I think it was past TB) hair that she braided and bunned every day, into her 80's, until she couldn't manage it any more. She had long hair all her life and probably wore it bunned since the age of about 18. I think it was beautiful and elegant. At the end of the day, it's your hair, you do what you want with it. If you are happy with it long, then great, go you!

Length
    ?/24/36
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

I think it's a shame that people think you have to go for blue perms when you get older. I think most people get tired of messing with it and that's why their hair is short. I know whenever I've chopped my hair off (went from waist length to shoulder length once, then from mid-back to shoulder again) it has been because it's getting to be a bit much to deal with, but in my heart of hearts I've always wanted to let it go terminal just to see how long it would get. If I go through all of the work of letting it grow, I don't intend to cut it when I reach the magic "too old" age (what is that arbitrary number, anyway?). Your hair is your glory, so grow on!

Length
    20/20/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Madora, Spidermom, and RedRapunzel, thanks for the gorgeous pictures!!! You are my inspiration! I have wanted long hair since I was a tiny girl, but never had the patience to have it. I will turn the big 5-0 this year and I grew up during the punk/goth era. When I was in my teens, 20's and even 30's, I had to keep my hair short because I bleached, dyed, bleached, dyed... it and I have fine hair that really can't take that kind of abuse. When I was young, I used to wonder why "older" (i.e. my age) people would keep the hair and clothing styles of their youth, like "old" hippies. Now I understand. Just because I'm chronologically "middle aged," doesn't mean I have to feel, dress or act it. I'm shooting for TBL, red, gothic/medieval princess hair. Old age be damned!!!
    Starting over, again.
    /20/20.5/21/21.5/22/22.5/23/23.5/24/24.5/25/25.5/26/26.5/27/27.5/28/28.5/29/29.5/30/30.5/31/31.5/32/32.5/33/33.5/34/34.5/35/35.5/36

I am 53 and I go with what I feel at any given moment. If I can't afford a haircut, I keep growing. I don't generally go beyond APL or BSL anymore, but I still toy with the idea of going beyond BSL now that I have grown out the whites and gone back to virgin color. It depends on how sick of looking at my hair I get. In short, stick to your guns.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Good for you, Micayla47! Never too late to enjoy long hair! Happy growing!

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ypena3 View Post
    Good Morning! I'm working backwards I guess...replied to a couple of posts before finding I should intro here. I never really thought about my hair growth until people (mostly women) my age kept commenting on the length. I am 47 and my hair is 37 inches reaching to where I guess my tailbone is. Men are usually very complimentary while women have been strangely negative. The comments have ranged from, "when are you going to cut that?" to "don't you think you're too old to wear your hair that long?" That's why I registered here! I was actually thinking about cutting my hair researching by Googling hair styles for older women when I found this site. After reading through some of your posts I've decided not to cut my hair and just let it keep growing. One day recently when I wore it down a nurse at my Doctor's office said, "Honey, I would kill to have your hair and so would every other woman I know our age! None of us can get our hair to grow anymore and it's getting harder as we age, you are so blessed!" She'll never know what she did for my confidence, especially since she said it in front of my Mom who had just reamed me during our drive there saying things like, "you really need to cut that crap and stop wearing black!" Ooh, that had hurt...then the nurse commented while Mom listened and her mouth fell open:-) I love having long hair especially when I know how much joy the sight of it gives my Boyfriend of 10 years!
    Excellent topic for a thread starter! I am 56, and am currently, (finally! at waist length! Yes, the majority of women 40ish and beyond cut their hair to at least shoulder length or shorter, or so it has been my experience. But...I love my long hair and plan on letting it grow as long as it wants to grow! Follow your own heart and don't let others sway you! Good luck!

Type
    2b/M/ii

Wow! When I started the thread I really didn't think I'd get much feedback so THANK YOU! I am inspired to continue to do what feels good for me. I question myself at times because there are a lot of things my generation of women are doing differently than our Mothers and other women of past generations. I questioned my Mom a little, remember she is the one person I adore who is NOT my long hair fan. Without being confrontational I asked her why she hadn't worn her hair long since she married my father 52 years ago. She then went on to tell me how her father never let her or her sisters cut their hair when they were growing up or living at home. My Grandfather was a macho, Hispanic male who always kept a mistress, drank a lot and my mother hated him for it! When Dad met Mom he loved her long hair which was waist length at the time. Apparently, within 30 days of being married to my Father, Mom cut her hair up to her ears. Of course, story is Dad was shocked but Mom swore he must be in love with her hair and not her so to prove she was wrong he let it go. So, it seems Moms life long commitment to short hair is a life long rebellion and getting even with her own Father...my conclusion is--that is her and his story and it should remain history. I love my life and who I am so why change it? I have started noticing that the negative comments are coming from people with short hair...I used to question how I looked now I feel sorry for them because I realize it could be a story like Mom's which is tragic if you ask me. I may be the butt of strangers imposing their unsolicited personal opinion on me but regardless of their age, sex or any other attribute something inside them is disturbed in a negative way and they are projecting it out onto me which means that it's not that I don't look good but they don't like their own reflection they see in the mirror. In short my response is going to be inspired by "ibexscribe" who stated at the end of her comment, "your hair is your glory, so grow on" which I believe she is referring to from the bible where it references basically, "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness". In the past, I never responded, mostly because I am non-confrontational and always stunned that people think it's okay to walk up to someone they don't even know and say something mean or negative. But now, my new response will be, "My hair is a crown of glory and I wear for the Glory of my God".

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone but it has been especially nice to have the support of the younger generation of women since I don't have daughters to reflect things from and my grand daughters 3 and 5 are too young to share this stuff with! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

Length
    15"/18"/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I always had long hair, though it wouldn't grow past my waist. I finally cut it short 4 years ago, when I was 48, much to my husband's dismay. I had just gotten tired of the split ends and tangled dry ends. But lately I've given up shampoo, and now I don't use anything but water on my hair, and I've noticed that I no longer have split ends or tangles. My husband is happy that I've decided to try growing it out again, and I hope it will grow longer. We both think long hair is beautiful on women of all ages.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hi,

I'm a newbie here as well, in fact this is my first post. I was tickled to see the title of the very first thread in the newbies section when I logged on. I recently turned 50, have had long hair all my adult life, and I too have been wondering lately if I should cut a half foot or so. It's just above my waist right now (and I do like that length). But I'm pretty sure what I really want to do is figure out how to better work with what I've got, not cut it off. A lot of you said your husbands love your long hair -- mine used to make nice comments as well but lately he's been urging me to cut it! But countering each of his comments, almost like clockwork a woman has told me that it is lovely or they wish their hair was like this. (With one exception -- the hairstylist I foolishly went to about a year ago who put layers in that didn't work out too well.) So I've had a different experience than some of you.

I loved reading all the encouraging posts on this thread. My sincere thanks to everyone.

Length
    11/35/30
    Type
    1c/M/i/ii

I am 25 and I have a family friend who is in her 70's and her hair is quite long. Her hair is also a beautiful natural looking red. I'm not sure if she dyes it or she is just lucky to still have red hair. I have always thought she looks so beautiful and elegant with her long hair except I will always see her wear it in a big beautiful bun, I rarely see it out.

I think long hair can be very elegant at any age, except I think updo's look much better for more mature aged women.