Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: The Non-Growth Oriented Thread for Shorter Lengths

When I had short hair I asked my stylist to work with my hair instead of against it. My bed head looked fantastic. I'd detangle and brush my hair at night and in the morning wouldn't touch it. After hairwash I'd put it in a towel for about 30 minutes and then shake my head and go. I loved it as I'm too lazy and fumble fingered to style my hair.
    Lady Malene of the Misty Memories of Yore, Shieldmaiden in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hanne jensen View Post
    When I had short hair I asked my stylist to work with my hair instead of against it. My bed head looked fantastic. I'd detangle and brush my hair at night and in the morning wouldn't touch it. After hairwash I'd put it in a towel for about 30 minutes and then shake my head and go. I loved it as I'm too lazy and fumble fingered to style my hair.
    Awesome. I do the same now. Don't brush in the morning because it looks the best like this

And I've decided to chop off 2 more inches. Tomorrow. I've ordered an electric hair trimmer on Amazon yesterday and it'll be delivered tomorrow. It's faster like this I hope because with scissors it takes hours to trim all the ends. Thick, slippery hair...

And my ponytail is still a bit too heavy. With 2 inches less weight, I hope, I can wear it a whole day at work.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I just love this idea for a thread It feels to me quite a unique thing on this forum - a meeting place for people with shorter hair who have extensive knowledge of long-hair care!

I think it's great to have a space for those who for whatever reason have decided not or no longer to go the long-long route. I probably don't really belong in this thread because I'm maintaining at a longer length but I will admit I'm really truly enjoying seeing what fun things you people are doing with your hair, the freedom you can feel to style/colour/treat it in various ways with no tsk-tsking about potential damage - you already know the game so your choices are very informed. There's really a sense of joy and satisfaction in all of your posts, it's wonderful to read!!!

If it's okay by you guys I'll be following this one so I can style vicariously through you...
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    CBL/CBL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I love this thread, even though I'm a grower (is that even a word?). Even though this is the long hair community, it would be a shame if one would be, like, exiled or something if they decide to chop.
    CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Well, I ended up cutting my hair because of an unfortunate accident, but I have ended up really liking my hair this length (in b/w chin and shoulder). I think it looks really nice with my face shape which is pretty round and I can wear it natural with my curls or straighten it relatively quickly. Sometimes I miss it long, but when I think about it, I never did anything to it. I had it pulled up in a bun for work everyday and at home it was pulled up to keep it out of the way of my kids and whatever else I was doing. I mentioned in the chin-shoulder thread that I may keep it at shoulder for a while once it gets there and enjoy playing with it. Thanks for the thread, I think it'll be a good one.

Do you still do DTs with your shorter lengths? I try to do one weekly, I missed this last week because I was so sick I couldn't muster up the energy to care. I haven't even washed it since last Thursday I think, just ran it under the water during my showers. Luckily, my hair takes forever to really look greasy.
    Welcome! Short hair suits me well too. t's so important to feel good about yourself, I'm glad you've found styles/lengths you love!

I sometimes do DTs, but they are not usually necessary and mine don't tend to be very heavy duty. My most common "DT" is just allowing my normal conditioner sit for a longer while. SMTs are also nice from time to time. For me it's more self pampering.

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    ME!
    Still no photos because of illness... Certified sick since Monday. Bad viral gastroenteritis with vomiting and... don't even want to talk about it... Doc told me to stay home until Friday. Which I would do anyway because I feel so sh***y.

I'm still happy with my "between-collarbone-and-APL-something" I love it and don't want to grow any longer.
    I cut it myself and will never ever enter a salon again because I've cut it way better than they do.
    I have nice face framing layers without looking like a toilet brush, which I was always turned into by stupid hair stylists.
    Welcome! I hope you are well very soon!

I also cut my own hair, I've been doing it myself for something like 13 years - before that I did like to visit salons though. My usually bad salon experiences were not cut but styling related: the cut was usually great they just styled it all wrong. Think old lady blowdry on a 20 years old young baby faced woman. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Hey, cool idea! I'm sure I'll grow mine out again one day, but for the moment I'm enjoying having hair so short it doesn't need combed.

Randomly, I'm finding that washing is very different. I tend to wet it down at least in the morning to reset all the sticky-upy parts, and I started out assuming I'd need to shampoo on at least a similar schedule or more often since I didn't have the hair to absorb the sebum. Apparently not. My scalp is tending to feel dry and tight a lot. It'd be super weird if I end up doing WO again.
    Welcome! WO would be great for your colour!

Quote Originally Posted by KittyBird View Post
    Great idea for a thread! Yes, Spidermom, please post pictures!
    I didn't really care about my hair or how long it was until I joined LHC. Then I wanted to grow as long as I possibly could, only to discover that I couldn't grow longer than hip+ before my hair became way too heavy for my scalp. I dealt with scalp pain and splitting headaches for as long as I could, but eventually I started really disliking my long hair. Couldn't wear it down or braided because it tangled like crazy, couldn't wear it up because it was uncomfortable. I also wasn't too fond of how I looked with a bun.

Shoulder length has always been a good length for me, so after contemplating it for almost two years, I took the plunge last July and got my hair cut to shoulder length. Shortly after I started craving even shorter hair, and last week I got it cut to around chin length. I'm so happy with my hair. I feel the same as Spidermom, I'm very devoted to bringing out the best in my hair now. I love how wurly-curly it is, and how easy it is to style. So much easier than my long hair!
    Welcome! I can only imagine how it's like when hair is too heavy, but it must be really unpleasant as it's a long term feeling with not much relief. Your foxtail-flamy ombre looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post

I love this haircut! The only thing it hasn't handled well was this morning when I just let it air dry without doing anything with it because I knew I'd be using heat protectant and hot rollers later. It dried all fluffy and disheveled-looking. I'm not bothered. I know when I twirl a bit of curl creme through it, it air dries beautifully.
    You and your hair are absolute stunners! You have styled it so beautifully here!

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
    I am actively growing my hair right now, but some of my favorite people are on this thread!

Also, some day, I might be back to short and enjoying it, so I want to pick up tips while I can, so I hope you all don't mind if I lurk and comment on this thread occasionally.
    You are welcome here, and you might have some tips and tricks to share yourself too!

Quote Originally Posted by diddiedaisy View Post
    Great idea for a thread, I don't belong here as I'm on a quest for waist length hair, but I'm nosey

Quote Originally Posted by HairPlease View Post
    I'm so glad this thread was started. I'm still mixed about growing or cutting at this point. I intend to not trim or cut in 2017 which will take me to APL, but I may cut back again.
    Looks like this thread was started at perfect time for many of us! It was Spidermom's idea!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelover View Post
    I'm still happily growing, but I like seeing people's short hair, too, so I will be snooping! HAHA! There are a lot of shorter cuts that I find very cute, though I never seem to love how they look on my face and always end up regrowing. (I'm a serial haircutter and re-grower! LOL)
    I'm a serial cutter/grower too, I was in a constantly evolving style circle (not rut, but a positive circle) from pixie to bob to shoulder most of my teen and adult life. It gets boring to have the same looking hair for too long, I sometimes have to wonder how long I've had patience to try going for a bit longer lengths.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I want to see pictures of other people's styles, too.
    Seconding this! I'll post link to mine in it's own post right after this post

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Well, mine's super short and green right now. And a little flat in the pic, because I'd been wearing a hat. It generally stands straight out.
    The more I see your new hair the more I love it Anje!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lou View Post
    Anje, I've been thinking of going super short like you. In fact, I was sure I was going to in the summer for easy swimming maintenance but I just never got around to it and then the summer was over. Do you just buzz it yourself? I love green hair too.

Spidermom, your hair is so thick compared to the women in my life who are your age. Looks amazing, healthy, and fun and you style it well.

I'm growing, but it's not my priority. I meant to go to just above waist and kept going, because why not? I'm scared of short hair styling requirements. But I'm looking forward to trying keratin straightening, and if that works out maybe short styles will be more open to me. If it doesn't work out, I may be cutting back all the chemical induced damage! It's worth it to me to try: I'd much rather have smooth hair than long hair.
    That's porbably how long hair has happened to quite a many people.

I have personally never found short hair styling difficult, but much probably depends on hair type, and the point Hanne brings up in a quote below: whether the cut is done skillfully working with the hair or not.

Good luck with kerating treatment!

I agree that's often the secret to easier short style.

Quote Originally Posted by school of fish View Post
    I just love this idea for a thread It feels to me quite a unique thing on this forum - a meeting place for people with shorter hair who have extensive knowledge of long-hair care!

I think it's great to have a space for those who for whatever reason have decided not or no longer to go the long-long route. I probably don't really belong in this thread because I'm maintaining at a longer length but I will admit I'm really truly enjoying seeing what fun things you people are doing with your hair, the freedom you can feel to style/colour/treat it in various ways with no tsk-tsking about potential damage - you already know the game so your choices are very informed. There's really a sense of joy and satisfaction in all of your posts, it's wonderful to read!!!

If it's okay by you guys I'll be following this one so I can style vicariously through you...
    Thank you for your encouragement! There are so many of us who have shorter hair and who are loving it so it's great we have a thread to get together here! This was Spidermom's idea and there certainly is demand for this type of thread now. ETA: I forgot to add that of course you are welcome to follow the the tread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiruna View Post
    I love this thread, even though I'm a grower (is that even a word?). Even though this is the long hair community, it would be a shame if one would be, like, exiled or something if they decide to chop.
    Thanks! I think it's a valid word and everyone who knows the context will understand it

I agree hair length shouldn't be a requirement, and what is long (or short) hair can be very subjective too. I for one have stayed here over 9 years because this place is so lovely in many ways - during this time I've always been more or less short haired, only once reaching almost BSL but chopping soon after.

So great to see this topic touched s many of us! Here's to a successful thread!
    Last edited by Arctic; December 15th, 2016 at 12:47 PM.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Here's my curling wand wurls from last week (link to my blog because it's face photo):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=128214

I love how they look, and would like to use my wand more often from now on!

I used heat protecting spray (although I am very sceptical about them), the lowest heat setting (IIRC it's 140 Celcius degrees) and kept a lock of hair around the wand for 8 seconds. Then when the curls had cooled down I fluffed them a bit and used volume powder on my roots.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My cut is like that, too.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm technically growing my hair but I don't want long, long hair. Mostly I'm here to learn better hair care to keep what I have healthy.
    Even at cbl, my end are getting a bit dry and worn down. I'll probably go in for a trim of my layers after Christmas.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Obsidian I have always found the shoulder-ish lenght is pretty brutal for my ends. There is lot of rubbing going on, the "physical, bodily obstacle" of shoulders is something that growing hair won't meet to same extent until it hits buttocks

OK many of you have seen these before, and are probably tired of them, but I did take tons of photos of different hair styles in 2015 when I was approx. shoulder length (about from collarbone to maybe halfway between CBL and APL). I was a bit irritated seeing the same thing repeated over and over and over: "my hair is too short to do anything with it!", "my hair is only APL and I have to wait till I'm at BSL until I can get hair styles to work" and so on.

I am positive that everyone, regardless of hair type or thickness, can find some hair styles that work for them. So I started this project of mapping out as many as I could, taking photos and often making tutorials or typing instructions and at least linking to tutorials others have made. It was supposed to be a few weeks long project, but the hair styles with all the variables were just too numerous that the project stretched and strecthed until I had to call it quits because my hair was too long to be used on tutorials for shoulder length hair. I also never wrapped up the project or made a closure for it, so the posts still look partially unfinished. But I have tens and tens of style ideas for shoulder-ish length hair there, gathered in 3 blog posts. Some of them of course might not work for all hair types and thicknesses, but that's not the baseline point. The base line point was to provide inspiration and encouragement, that there are almost endless possibilities and there just has to be something out there that works for You too.

This is link to my Braided styles for Shoulder Lenght Hair:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=120776

This is link to my Bun/Updo styles for Shoulder Lenght Hair:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=120784

This is link to my "Other" styles for Shoulder Lenght Hair:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=120786

And this is a link to my blog's category called "Styles, Tutorials, Instructions" where you can find ALL my hair style related blog posts from 9 years, everything from pixie to BSL, I guestimate there must be few hundreds of photos at least, often with instructons, how-to notes or links to tutorials other's have made:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ategoryid=3445

And finally, here's a link to my blog's category called "Hair Photos" where I have ALL my hair photo posts, including all the above plus many more. These photos include stuff like length photos, wearing my hair down, macro photos, etc, of hair lengths ranging from pixie to BSL There is 9 pages of blog entries - my photobucket's hair album has almost 500 hair photos which are all posted under this blog category:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ategoryid=1594

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Arctic; December 15th, 2016 at 12:40 PM.