Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cut your own hair?

Default How many cut your own hair?

Hey guys,

Just wondering, how many of you cut your own hair?
    Has this helped with growing instead of the hair dressed looping it off every 8 weeks or so?

Do you just trim a split end as they show up?

Cheers,
    Georgia from Australia

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: How many cut your own hair?

Welcome to the forum.

I think a lot of us self trim, by using either a layering method or Feye's self-trimming instructions (google them sometimes).

HTH.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18"/20"/max
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Hello and welcome! I personally have been cutting and trimming my own hair since I was 12 years old, over half of my life at this point. I got a wretched cut from a chain salon when I was 12 and that was it! I realize how dramatic it sounds, but I really did cry about it for months! Haha I laugh about it now... but I learned my lesson. I remember I even brought a ruler with me because, even as a child, I had heard that "stylists don't know what an inch is" and it must have really offended the stylist in question because she hacked my BSL-ish hair into choppy layers around shoulder length, when I asked for a clean 2 inches off the bottom. I was a chubby youth, so this was a terrible look for me.
    For a long time, I sought a blunt hemline so I would microtrim often to try to keep it as such... 5 or so years ago I gave up on the blunt hemline dream and chose to just embrace my wispy, fairy tale ends. I currently do not cut at all unless the strands in question are visibly damaged, split, etc. I used to use just any old scissors but found it was actually CREATING splits because my blades were dull. Having a designated hair scissors is very important, in my humble opinion.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have been cutting my own hair since I was 14! Only been to the salon maybe 3 times since then.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    5/18-20/40
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii/iii

I cut my own, (only twice now though.) As a child and early teen, I always did salon visits but since becoming natural 6 years ago, I've stopped going to salons altogether and prefer self-styling!

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I cut my own. I only used to get my hair professionally cut once a year, and they would lop off all my growth, basically, because of the bad splits and frazzled ends. I gain length now with a combination of knowing how to protect my hair and microtrimming it myself every couple of months. I also have far less stress with cutting it myself because I now know what I'm doing and don't have to find a hair stylist that I can trust - I can just trust myself.

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I've cut my hair myself since I was a teen. I've gone to a stylist maybe 3 or 4 times since then, but usually I'd do it myself.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Yes I’ve done my own and my family’s for quite some time. Before that, my mum did it for me. I’ve never been to a hairdresser before.
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

most of the time i do, but every now and then when it gets too long, I would go to a hairdresser.
    HOWEVER, after my most recent experience, I plan on always cutting it on my own...mind you they always take too much, but this was the worst of the worst...she didn't take an inch or 2 more...she took like 3/4 or my hair when all I asked was for a few layers in the front and to NOT touch the length...
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=147524

Length
    1/16?/24ish
    Type
    1a/F/i

I do trim my own (thank you Feye!) but I feel bad about it, because I do know that highly rare phenomenon, the Good Hairdresser!

Herself a longhair, J is a person who will take time to talk to you about what you want, check with you, by showing you what she is doing, that you're losing the amount of hair you envisaged, and vigorously attempt to dissuade you if you go in for a spur-of-the-moment big chop or other massive change. She's practically perfect, and I heartily recommend her to any in the Bristol UK area (pm me if you'd like her contact details). One of my daughters goes to J regularly and is unapologetically growing her hair long, with J's encouragement. I know. She's a unicorn. I just sort of stopped going once I realised that now my hair is stupid long, (a) I can reach to do a tiny trim myself, and (b) I wear it up all the time - who cares if it's wonky!

Sorry J! I bet you're on LHC.....