Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silk Pillowcases

Question Silk Pillowcases

This last week, I finally got all of us tangle-free in my house! I'd like to help us stay that way, so we're braiding hair every night (like I used to do with my oldest), and staying on top of the tangles.

I would like to buy several silk pillowcases for me and my two daughters, but I am concerned about finding actual silk. I prefer to buy on Amazon, if possible, since I'm a Prime member, but according to the reviews I read, so many times people receive a pillowcase that is satin, or some other non-silk fabric. Can any of you suggest a place to get a silk pillowcase? If it's available on Amazon, that's even better, but I can go somewhere else if I need to.

Thanks in advance!

Length
    14/22/32

Default Re: Silk Pillowcases

I love these, the zipper is really essential or it just slides right off the pillow https://www.amazon.com/OLESILK-Mulbe...s%2C204&sr=8-4

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've taken to running everything through fakespot.com. It's really helped me weed out the real stuff from the fakes. (by the way, the product lillabug recommends has a "c" grade in terms of fake reviews, but the adjusted star rating is still 4.5.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that satin works just as well as silk for keeping hair tangle free? I don't use one myself (yet), so I could be mistaken.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    I've taken to running everything through fakespot.com. It's really helped me weed out the real stuff from the fakes. (by the way, the product lillabug recommends has a "c" grade in terms of fake reviews, but the adjusted star rating is still 4.5.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that satin works just as well as silk for keeping hair tangle free? I don't use one myself (yet), so I could be mistaken.
    I even use microfiber (my whole bed set is that material, it's the only thing I buy anymore). It's as smooth and soft as silk/satin and it can at least be washed on a hot cycle (60°C), which to me with sebum and oils is important.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Im kinda curious about this, as well...I buy the Dollar Store version, and it seems to do fine in terms of letting my hair slide rather than snag. Am I wrong? Is there a property of ac tual silk that is beneficial for hair?

Length
    23/25.5/40-45
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

I absolutely love my satin pillowcases, sheets and comforter all purchased through amazon. I’ve noticed a huge difference not only in my hair but my skin as well. My face isn’t breaking out (aside from the pregnancy breakouts that just started ��) and my body overall just feels so smooth! I originally was only interested in silk as well but everything I found was so pricey. I figured I’d just get satin for now and eventually get silk but honestly, I don’t even feel the need to. Satin works perfectly fine ����

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I use satin cases that I buy from Ross. They snag pretty easily in the wash. as has my real silk scarf as I’ve not washed them as delicately as I should’ve.

I too would like to upgrade to silk cases maybe one day. I hope you have good luck finding actual silk.
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

First of all, silk is a fiber, satin is a weave. You can make satin out of silk; silk pillowcases are silk satin, because the satin weave is what makes them slippery and prevents friction on your hair.

So why silk? Because most non-silk satin pillowcases are made of polyester, which is a synthetic fiber that doesn't breathe. Sleeping on it can cause sweatiness and breakouts in some people. If you have no issues with sleeping on polyester, go ahead and buy a non-silk satin pillowcase.

To prevent snagging in the wash, turn them inside out. The inside of satin doesn't snag as much. Or wash them in a mesh lingerie bag if you want to get fancy.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

I've done this in the past and generally used cheaper pillowcases that I understood would just get beat up over time with my tossing and turning. I do think I saw some difference in my complexion, but I'm not sure about my hair. I was super curious about the legitimacy, silk or "silk-like," and what we gain from it.

I found what you folks and everyone else curious about this found, which was a ton of sites posting and re-posting the same information about the silk or satin tugging less and causing less friction overall. Many touting that silk, satin, or sateen (cotton woven to be satin-like) would do the trick since they would all cause less friction.

I did find one research-backed article on Healthline (https://www.healthline.com/health/be...lk-pillowcases) that discussed "silk-like" (not just silk, in other words) sheets used by people with acne who saw an improvement, while the people in the trial on cotton sheets did not.

The rest of the article mentioned silk specifically as being good for dry hair since it would not sop up moisture like cotton.

The rest of the piece went on to discuss copper pillowcases which I have never heard of but apparently have been used in medical fabrics forever and also help with facial wrinkles (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...5.2012.00624.x)

I think these are my new curiosity. Does anyone have any experience with them?!?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I make my own polyester satin pillowcases because it's cheaper than silk and I could never find any other satin pillowcases than rough cotton ones here. It's quick and easy to do

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights