Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silk Pillowcases

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Silk Pillowcases

I've never bought silk pillowcases, but I have made bonnets out of old silk scarves. Here you often find them at thrift stores or estate sales.

Length
    .2/5.25/40

I've been very interested in getting a silk or satin pillowcase but don't really know where to find them or how much they cost. I have shorter hair right now i'm trying to grow it out so i dont need one yet as i don't get tangles, but i am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsia.lee View Post
    I've been very interested in getting a silk or satin pillowcase but don't really know where to find them or how much they cost. I have shorter hair right now i'm trying to grow it out so i dont need one yet as i don't get tangles, but i am curious.
    If you are near a Dollar Tree, I have purchased satin one from there several times. For a Dollar!!! Naturally, this means they are not as sturdy as something that costs 20-30x that price, but if you cold water wash them and then air-dry them they should hold up for quite a while. Even if not for your hair since it doesn't get tangled at that length, the skin benefits could make it worth it. Plus a buck is a cheap enough price to give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ninja View Post
    First of all, silk is a fiber, satin is a weave. You can make satin out of silk; silk pillowcases are silk satin, because the satin weave is what makes them slippery and prevents friction on your hair.

So why silk? Because most non-silk satin pillowcases are made of polyester, which is a synthetic fiber that doesn't breathe. Sleeping on it can cause sweatiness and breakouts in some people. If you have no issues with sleeping on polyester, go ahead and buy a non-silk satin pillowcase.

To prevent snagging in the wash, turn them inside out. The inside of satin doesn't snag as much. Or wash them in a mesh lingerie bag if you want to get fancy.
    That is really interesting. I never knew that satin is a weave.

As for why silk, I just always heard that that's what you need for hair. I don't know why it's supposed to be better. I'm glad to hear from you and others that satin will work, too. I'm particularly interested in trying the Dollar Tree pillowcases. I love a bargain, and I love Dollar Tree!

I have one from Quince, it's more affordable compared to other brands, it's really smooth, pretty cool but gets warmer when I sleep on it. Can't speak on longevity yet. It's not on Amazon, I can't tell which ones are legit and which ones are not... The expensive brands on amazon are legit, like slip and blissy, but the quality is supposed to be the same as quince but much more expensive.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I use both a satin bonnet and a satin pillowcase (in case any hairs escape from the bonnet, especially at the nape). The pillowcase has a zipper and came 2/$10. It seems to stay pretty cool and doesn't slip away from me. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell them anymore.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I've gotten my bonnet and my old silk pillowcase from Adorabellababy on Etsy. The bonnet is super comfy and stays on really well.