Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: at what length to wear up at night?

Default at what length to wear up at night?

My main question and an intro?

I'm at/close to APL. I have worn a braid at times to bed but usually just sleep with it down with a satin pillow case. I feel like a high ponytail/loose bun ends up with breakage in the back. What length was wearing your hair up a necessity for sleeping? How do you wear it?

I'm 45 and my hair has mainly been between my chin and shoulders all my life. I was told my hair was too thin/fine to grow. I realized i was damaging my hair by heat styling daily and have done a lot of things to maximize the health of my hair. It's the longest it's ever been! It looks great and has more body than when it was shorter/damaged. I've always wanted long hair. Not sure my end goal...

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: at what length to wear up at night?

I began wearing mine in a silk sleep cap just before I reached armpit length, the very first night I did I noticed 90% less tangles the next morning, so have worn one ever since!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
    My main question and an intro?

I'm at/close to APL. I have worn a braid at times to bed but usually just sleep with it down with a satin pillow case. I feel like a high ponytail/loose bun ends up with breakage in the back. What length was wearing your hair up a necessity for sleeping? How do you wear it?

I'm 45 and my hair has mainly been between my chin and shoulders all my life. I was told my hair was too thin/fine to grow. I realized i was damaging my hair by heat styling daily and have done a lot of things to maximize the health of my hair. It's the longest it's ever been! It looks great and has more body than when it was shorter/damaged. I've always wanted long hair. Not sure my end goal...
    You could write an introduction in the newbie section instead, where more people would probably see it https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...splay.php?f=28

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I didn't start until a few years ago when somewhere around classic, I think. I wish I had known about doing this many years ago...such a huge difference to wake up with practically no tangles at all and it doesn't get ripped out from being rolled on.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Honestly I just wear it down until it's TBL or so, just making sure to use a satin pillowcase. Actually, I wear it UP... Like on top of my head. I took my bed frame out and I just lay it where it was supposed to be. I'm really picky about how I sleep and I don't really like braidwaves, but after waist ughh... You just learn to live with it.
    If you have thin hair you might specifically not like the braidwaves it'd leave bc they'd be on the tighter side, so I'd say try a satin cap starting now, that way you'll give your hair the best enviroment possible while it grows.
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

BTW I'd say no buns or ponies if you have fine hair. When you're sleeping you're not gonna be as careful w it, and you know those nape hairs love breakage. Even if it's loose or on the very top of your head I'm not into it and will not recommend to anyone for daily(nightly?) use.
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I’ve never slept with my hair up, not when it was almost knee-length and not now when it’s shorter. I found that the longer it got, the easier it was to move it out of the way like have it hang off of the side of the bed, and it would just stay there.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    .5 in/21 in/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverinna View Post
    BTW I'd say no buns or ponies if you have fine hair. When you're sleeping you're not gonna be as careful w it, and you know those nape hairs love breakage. Even if it's loose or on the very top of your head I'm not into it and will not recommend to anyone for daily(nightly?) use.
    Yes I fully agree! I learned this the hard way when I first joined LHC many years ago. I got a ton of breakage from wearing my hair in a bun to sleep.
    My hair is close to MBL and I wear it in a braid to sleep. I also have a satin pillowcase. I get hot if I sleep with it down and I like having it contained. I usually start braiding it at night when it gets a few inches past APL.

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I prefer to wear a loose braid and then put on a silk bonnet to sleep at night. At noon I might keep my bun (preferably a high lazy wrap bun that will allow me to lay flat) and wear my bonnet for a nap.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I started putting my hair up for sleep when it began to get in the way of my turning over during the night. That would disturb my sleep. I do not wear a nightcap at all ever, unless in mid winter when it's very cold and I wear a wooly hat to bed to keep my ears warm. In summer I'm thinking a nightcap would make my sleep hotter, and it's warm enough in here already - no AC.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!